Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2020, 02:15 AM

OT: Steve Wynn box set, solo tour, books

The Dream Syndicate was one of my favorite bands in the early to mid 1980s, and I kept up with Steve Wynn's solo records into the 90's but at some point lost track of his new releases. Nice to see that there is an upcoming release of an 11 CD autographed box set covering roughly the years from 1995-2005. Complete albums from the period and 57 previously unreleased tracks are included. I only have one of the original releases so it was an easy decision to commit to the $85 entry fee for the box. Due to ship in October.

Interesting that the release is called "Decade". There are certainly Neil Young parallels to be considered.

https://www.stevewynn.net/decade.php

Last edited by oliver1850; Today at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:53 PM
Literally Stiff

I saw him play a few times back in the early ‘90s, really liked the Kerosene Man album. Good shows, but I mostly didn’t follow his solo work after that. Not sure I’m ready to commit to this massive box set, but there’s gotta be some great stuff in there.

He’s still touring and recording with Dream Syndicate; their latest record is very cool and different, imo.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ulator-958371/
Old 09-02-2020, 03:57 PM

I'm a fan but I don't really buy much music any longer.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:33 PM

Always stay at his hotels when in Vegas.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I'm a fan but I don't really buy much music any longer.
I still try to buy as much as I can afford. I can't imagine Wynn is getting rich off his royalties, doubt that more than 10% of his recordings are even available except on the used market. No touring, so no income there either. I don't know anything about his background, he might be sitting on a billion dollar trust fund. Even if he is, I consider the box set a bargain and buying one is the best way for me to say thank you for nearly 40 years of quality work.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca View Post
I saw him play a few times back in the early ‘90s, really liked the Kerosene Man album. Good shows, but I mostly didn’t follow his solo work after that. Not sure I’m ready to commit to this massive box set, but there’s gotta be some great stuff in there.

He’s still touring and recording with Dream Syndicate; their latest record is very cool and different, imo.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ulator-958371/
Don't know as I have ever watched a 20 minute music video before, but that was pretty cool.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:28 AM

Days of wine and roses.... one of my all time favs!
Old Today, 02:26 AM

I was amazed to find him playing a show tonight at a venue in a village with a population of 113, 50 miles from any 100,000+ city, but only 45 minutes from where I live. We are in the midst of harvest here but I ducked out of the corn field at 6:30 in my work clothes and headed to the show. Drive took longer than I expected and I was ten minutes or so late for the start. The show is just Steve and acoustic guitar, with minutes of dialogue between songs relative to his influences and history. He was playing a Velvet Underground song when I got there and later sang "Jesus Christ" by Big Star, followed by Dream Syndicate songs. He had a long dialogue about his extended hang out with Alex Chilton in Memphis in 1981. He's in Chicago tonight (Sunday) and I hope charliedid and others to the east will make the effort to get out and see him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steve wynn tour poster 2024.jpg (149.0 KB, 41 views)