Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2022, 07:43 AM

Campy freehub body for King R45

I know they stopped manufacturing campy freehub bodies, but has anyone seen one in an online store?
Old 12-30-2022, 07:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
I know they stopped manufacturing campy freehub bodies, but has anyone seen one in an online store?
Can't open this for some reason but it's a google-foo search

https://avt.bike/products/chris-king...tible-r45-hubs
Old 12-30-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Can't open this for some reason but it's a google-foo search

https://avt.bike/products/chris-king...tible-r45-hubs
That’s just the bearing
Old 12-30-2022, 10:01 AM

Ive been searching for the past month and have only seen used wheelsets with a Campy Freehub
Old 12-31-2022, 03:43 AM

The search is made doubly difficult because most of the Campagnolo freehub bodies cracked :-(
Old 12-31-2022, 10:43 AM

https://www.sortedracegear.com <-- These guys are an MTB shop in the UK that appear to have some stock. You might have to swallow the cost and buy a complete rear disc hub then cannibalize it.

Side rant - I can't believe King doesn't do a scheduled production run of what amounts to a service part to keep their existing customer base going. Shimano, Campagnolo, DT, etc... they all keep these parts available for decades. So much for the sustainability lip service.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
https://www.sortedracegear.com <-- These guys are an MTB shop in the UK that appear to have some stock. You might have to swallow the cost and buy a complete rear disc hub then cannibalize it.

Side rant - I can't believe King doesn't do a scheduled production run of what amounts to a service part to keep their existing customer base going. Shimano, Campagnolo, DT, etc... they all keep these parts available for decades. So much for the sustainability lip service.
I agree I can get one for my WI hubs
Old 12-31-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I have to wonder if said propensity toward "cracking" might have raised doubts about going on with producing the part, perhaps due to safety considerations(?).

And since CK uses such high-grade aluminum in their products, perhaps making a more-expensive replacement from costly titanium might be their only option to make the part more durable(?).
Any visible change to the part's design as well might cause buyers to expect a free upgraded part.

My thinking could be way off base here so I'm not making any assumptions.

Last edited by dddd; 12-31-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I have to wonder if said propensity toward "cracking" might have raised doubts about going on with producing the part, perhaps due to safety considerations(?).

And since CK uses such high-quality aluminum in their products, perhaps making a more-expensive replacement from costly titanium might be their only option to make the part more durable(?).

My thinking could be way off base here so I'm not making any assumptions.
They fixed it with a stainless replacement of the alloy version. Considering how long the CA 9/10 FHB design has been around and how many manufacturers have implemented it successfully on their own hubs, I think this is just highlighting a flaw in the R45 design.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Not just an issue with Campy. CK also has pretty much left behind the mtn ISO hub line. Finding a replacement drive shell, especially for XD, presents the same challenge as for Campy. Have to find one on a dusty shelf or purchase a used hub + canibalize.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:59 PM

Sadly, the stainless version also cracks along the spline. I spoke with them about a potential, basic fix. They had already thought about it but weren't interested in pursuing it. Easier to shelve the product. My only CK product letdown so far.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
Sadly, the stainless version also cracks along the spline. I spoke with them about a potential, basic fix. They had already thought about it but weren't interested in pursuing it. Easier to shelve the product. My only CK product letdown so far.
Dang. At least headsets seem to last forever. Anyone know why they stopped making the 2nut?

Last edited by monkeybanana86; 12-31-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:

100%. They are a shell of what they used to be. Plenty of other great hubs. Would buy new hubs before I tried to chase down some rare out of product King part. Been down the road and they have no interest in those production runs when I emailed about multiple parts.