Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2021, 11:45 AM

Madden was the beginning of my habit of choosing favorite teams according to their coach. I loved watching Madden and Stabler work their magic on Sunday. Stabler could have never been successful under any other coach. A fantastic coach, broadcaster and human being. RIP, John
Old 12-30-2021, 01:34 PM

I grew up a Vikings fan in the 70's so I of course wasn't a fan of the Raiders as they clobbered Minnesota in the Super Bowl. But I had huge respect for the team and Coach Madden. I have even more respect now after reading the stories and tributes about him as a human being. The NFL has lost a legend. Condolences to his family, friends, and Raider nation. RIP Coach
Old 12-30-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I grew up a Vikings fan in the 70's so I of course wasn't a fan of the Raiders as they clobbered Minnesota in the Super Bowl. But I had huge respect for the team and Coach Madden. I have even more respect now after reading the stories and tributes about him as a human being. The NFL has lost a legend. Condolences to his family, friends, and Raider nation. RIP Coach
Purple People Eaters.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:10 PM

He was a very wealthy man, but could have been much wealthier if he hadn't turned down the option to buy stock in EA (the video game maker).

http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/sto...=100805/madden

Quote:
In 1988, "John Madden Football" was released for the Apple II computer and became a modest commercial success. Ybarra had already left the project to make adventure games. Burned out, he didn't watch real-life pro football for an entire season. Meanwhile, a jubilant Hawkins approached Madden.

Hawkins: "You stayed with me. EA is about to have an IPO [initial public offering]. You can have as much stock as you want."

Madden: "What do you mean by 'have'?"

Hawkins: "Well, you have to buy it -- at the IPO price."

"Hell, I'm just a football coach," Madden says now. "I pointed with my finger, all knowing, and said, 'I gave you my time. I'm not giving you my money.' I showed him!"

From 1989 to 1999, EA's share price went from $7.50 to $70. Madden laughs. "That was the dumbest thing I ever did in my life."
Old 12-30-2021, 10:08 PM

He lived a few miles from me... his house I passed by so many times on my bike rides and lately I've noticed more cars and of the home nursing kind. I figured he was ill. Sad to see him go.

RIP Mr Madden.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:40 AM

I just happened to catch the All Madden documentary yesterday. Well worth a watch
Old 01-02-2022, 12:09 PM

High school and college Sundays wouldn’t have been the same without Madden and Summerall doing the NFL in the 80s