Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2021, 02:17 AM

Clavicula crank users - help!

Am installing an older Clavicula crank. All was going just fine till I hopped on the bike to get a feel for saddle height and put some weight on the pedals & cranks, the latter of which hadn't been tightened down yet (both the clamping screw and adjusting screw).

By some crazy thing called f%*(*&%$@$#!!!, the silver "insert" (or whatever it is) of the crank on the non-drive side (which is the first pic), i.e., where it slides on to the spindle, spun around a bit, and the non-drive side was hugely out out of phase. Meaning, that insert got de-bonded. Think of it as the cranks were previously at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, like normal. Now they were at 3 o'clock and around 5 o'clock. That's not normal.

First, I had no idea the insert could spin around. That seems insane. And now how the heck am I gonna get things back to "normal" 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock?

Second, the insert has a slot that I can only presume is supposed to be at the "top" of the crank just below the clamping screw, and is supposed to align at the gap of the carbon construction.

So, I loosened things back up and hamfisted (with some effort, via holding the drive side with one arm) the non-drive side crank arm to "spin" back around and get that "slot" lined up at the top as closely as I could eyeball it. The cranks now seem to be closely in phase, but seemingly a slight tad off. There's no way for me to measure other than eyeball. Maybe once I start pedaling if things feel ridiculously out of round I'll know? Haven't hooked up drivetrain yet.

Some pics are attached of the setup.

Hoping some actual users of this crank can shed some light on the situation. Advice appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211217_235515.jpg (68.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20211217_235548.jpg (89.5 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by 54ny77; 12-18-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:33 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

I'm not a Calvicula user, but I'm willing to speculate:

Surely the system doesn't rely just on friction (or adhesives) to transmit the force at the NDS pedal to the axle then on to the DS crank. There must be some anti-rotation something or other in there. There's no way that insert should be able spin in the crank arm.

Have you successfully used this crankset before, or is this the first time you have it installed on a frame?

Very weird.

Last edited by Louis; 12-18-2021 at 02:59 AM.