Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Whether it’s just her or with another person, I highly recommend getting a 4-man tent, if she will be living out of it for 9 months.
Depends on how much space is available (4p tents take up a lot of room) and where it needs to go. If its going international, then smaller probably better. I've used the REI 4p basecamp tent and its a bit of a pain to put up solo and probably overkill for solo use. A 3p would probably be easier to setup and still provide room for gear inside plus space to sit inside the tent or vestibule with a chair in poor weather. Sure you cant stand up inside it, but that's about the only trade off.

I'd definitely get a lightweight chair and some solar lights and a kindle/ipad for reading.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:43 AM
n - 1

4-person tent definitely takes up more ground space. About 8’ x 8’, typically.

I am assuming with such extended stays, they’d have larger than typical camp spots available. Just an assumption.

Set up isn’t bad at all for me (solo). Actually, my 1-man ultralight backpacking tent is the most difficult to set up. Either case, though, seems like she’s not going to have to take down/set up that much.

If she does go with a 2 or 3 man, I’d highly recommend a tarp she can pitch like an awning to keep out of the rain while stretching her legs a bit. Or cooking, socializing, etc.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
If she’s going to live out of a tent for 9 months, you need a real expedition tent. The ONLY tents I would consider for that are Hilleberg, specifically the Anjan 2 GT, the Jannu, or the Nallo GT or Nammatj GT. Nallo GT is probably the sweet spot for weight, size, and durability.
This brand. Vs REI and similar you are paying for and getting better functionality, proven durability with super strong fabrics, and the ability to withstand much higher winds than most brand tents say they can but simply don’t.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
If she does go with a 2 or 3 man, I’d highly recommend a tarp she can pitch like an awning to keep out of the rain while stretching her legs a bit. Or cooking, socializing, etc.
Yep, that would be nice too. Lots of lightweight sil-nylon tarps out there that are easy to pitch up.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:27 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
This brand. Vs REI and similar you are paying for and getting better functionality, proven durability with super strong fabrics, and the ability to withstand much higher winds than most brand tents say they can but simply don’t.
Things might have changed in recent years but high zoot gear in poor countries sometimes disappears when left or pitched in one spot for a long period. Hillleburg makes great products but lesser known brands like REI, Eureka, Kelty, etc offer quality products that will be more than adequate for her trip and are less apt to be stolen
Old 12-06-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Things might have changed in recent years but high zoot gear in poor countries sometimes disappears when left or pitched in one spot for a long period. Hillleburg makes great products but lesser known brands like REI, Eureka, Kelty, etc offer quality products that will be more than adequate for her trip and are less apt to be stolen
I’d argue most if not all the more commonly known brands are for more recognizable than Hilleberg. Mine, I sold to Christian here I think was all dark green and had virtually no branding.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Did you? It’s possible. I have a Nammatj 2, a Keron 3, and a 2015 Enan. I’ve previously had an Akto and a Rogen.

I don’t think there is any difference in the likelihood of tents being stolen based on brand. But having a dry, we’ll-ventilated tent is a must if you’re going to spend a lot of time in it. I use mine mostly for backpacking and motorcycle camping.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:25 PM

The Rogen 2p. I rode my motorcycle down 😁
Old 12-06-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
And let’s not overstate the need for dependability here. I used a cheap Eureka Timberline A frame tent for some hard camping over 10 years. A REI HalfDome will easily handle a year of camping. And if not, it carries a One Year Satisfaction Guarantee. I’ve used my half-dome for many an adventure including in some earth shaking thunderstorms and all day rains and the tent has held up superbly.

The Half Dome 2 plus is roomy but comes in a 2 person. REI has some very nice 3 person tents as well.

Fun facts to know and tell/ the REI Half Dome is in the Backpacker’s Hall of Fame.

Get her a hammock. Even though she’ll also have a sleeping bag. She can hang it for day use, night sleeping when it’s appropriate, hanging out. Doesn’t take up any room to speak of - all the cool kids have ‘em.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:58 PM

I'll toss Seekoutside tents out there. They produce some well-regarded tipi-style tents. The majority of their tents are designed to pair with their woodstoves.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:12 PM

I wouldn’t spend a lot of money on a tent. But I’ve only spent more than two years living off the back of a motorcycle, uncountable nights out of a backpack, and thousands of bicycle touring miles…so maybe I missed something when I picked the smallest volume “tent” for the given climate instead of the name with the highest price tag attached to it.

Get a nice packable ground pad, bedding that fits the climate, and some kind of two pole tent with a rain fly that covers the entire tent and creates a vestibule. It’s nice if the tent has two doors, and even nicer if you can sit up in it, but the sitting up part isn’t even really that important to some. For instance I may go to a place via air travel with just a bivy for rain protection, or maybe a tarp if there’s no bugs. But then again maybe just some netting if it’s buggy and no rain. Make sure you practice with whatever you get!
Old 12-06-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I used a cheap Eureka Timberline A frame tent for some hard camping over 10 years.
10 years? it's just getting broken in...in the late 70s, I was a camping tour guide catering to European visitors in the western US. my employer purchased 4-person Timberlines for clients and I still have one.

the thing has seen an absolute TON of use, in July I was camping in WI and it was subjected to a severe thunderstorm and 64 mph winds. a couple of the 40+ year old bungee cords on the rain fly didn't survive, but other than that, it's still serviceable.

while it would only require an easy repair, I'll probably retire it. it's done its job...lol
Old 12-06-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
It’s nice if the tent has two doors, and even nicer if you can sit up in it, but the sitting up part isn’t even really that important to some.
If you've gotta carry it and constantly break down/setup, I agree.

If its sitting in one spot for a long time, being able to sit up or post up in it in a chair is really nice. I think the vestibule area isnt so important if you have enough room inside for your pad/gear/chair.

+1 on the hammock, they're super convenient. I always toss one in the car or the pack, I have a really nice UL one that packs down to coke can size. I wouldnt trust it much overnight, but, for a quick snooze its great.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:40 PM

OP's daughter is going on a mission trip and ya'll are recommending Hilleburg tents?!

At this point, just take the money you'd be spending on said tent and give it to the people you're helping.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
OP's daughter is going on a mission trip and ya'll are recommending Hilleburg tents?!

At this point, just take the money you'd be spending on said tent and give it to the people you're helping.
And Hilleburg tents are heavy. That's part of the reason they're bombproof, but I doubt that she's going on an 3 month mountaineering expedition.