Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2021, 04:47 PM

Some assistance with piecing together a Di2 setup

I somehow ended up with a set of 6770 Di2 Ultegra Shifters and a 6870 Di2 Ultegra RD.

Was working on my bike and thought maybe it would be fun to finish the Di2 kit and install on one of my bikes.

I found this page which has some walkthrough, but I can't really tell what I should be looking for (kinda want someone to tell me to order X ha).

https://www.roadbikereview.com/threa...lleurs.345434/

My frame isn't drilled for Internal routing (Cielo Cross Racer Disc - wonder if there is a way to make the battery internal and drill the BB)

So far here is a list of items I think I need to search for:

Battery Holder/Battery: SM-BMR2
Front Derailleur: FD-6870 (to match the rear)
Junction:? I'm not entirely sure what I need here
PC Linkage Device: Seems expensive do I need this?
Wireless unit: I have a Garmin - think I should get one?

Anything else I might be forgetting?
Old 11-22-2021, 04:56 PM

2 wires go from each shifter to a junction box that mounts on/in the stem or handlebar.

1 wire goes from the front junction box to a second junction box, which is typically inside the downtube or seat tube, but I guess could be mounted externally.

3 wires go from the second junction box, 1 to the batter, 1 to the fd, 1 to the rd.

Typically frames have 3 holes, one in front for the wire between the 2 junction boxes to go, one for the FD and one for the RD.

So your plan is to run the seattube battery internal, stick a hole... somewhere? and then pop that outside to junction b and run every other wire externally? With a lot of zip ties and duct tape, it should work, but it would be kind of sloppy looking.

Di2 holes in steel frames are typically reinforced, but they don't have to be if the tube wall is thick enough.

Also, if you do run stuff internally, if the frame wasn't made for Di2, you might not have openings large enough where the tubes meet the bottom bracket.

In terms of cost, each di2 wire is about $20, the battery runs about $100, fd will be about $150 and the two junction boxes are about $100.

So from what you have now, you're looking at about $500 to go from what you have now to an amateur di2 setup. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but it's possible.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:14 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
2 wires go from each shifter to a junction box that mounts on/in the stem or handlebar..
2 wires, one from each STi to A junction. Sure you meant that but read like 2 wires from each.

As far as PC link device, likely firmwares in parts won't be in sync outta the gate.

Last edited by robt57; 11-22-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
I somehow ended up with a set of 6770 Di2 Ultegra Shifters and a 6870 Di2 Ultegra RD.

Was working on my bike and thought maybe it would be fun to finish the Di2 kit and install on one of my bikes.

I found this page which has some walkthrough, but I can't really tell what I should be looking for (kinda want someone to tell me to order X ha).

https://www.roadbikereview.com/threa...lleurs.345434/

My frame isn't drilled for Internal routing (Cielo Cross Racer Disc - wonder if there is a way to make the battery internal and drill the BB)

So far here is a list of items I think I need to search for:

Battery Holder/Battery: SM-BMR2
Front Derailleur: FD-6870 (to match the rear)
Junction:? I'm not entirely sure what I need here
PC Linkage Device: Seems expensive do I need this?
Wireless unit: I have a Garmin - think I should get one?

Anything else I might be forgetting?
Just get the internal battery + charger, and you won't even need the PC Linkage Device for the overwhelming majority of situations. The internal battery charger will allow you to update firmware, etc.

As for junction, at least EW-90 3-port.

Even if your frame isn't drilled for internal routing, you can still 1) drill it (sounds like your frame is steel) or 2) use an external battery cage for the internal battery (SM-BTC1). SM-BTC1 will double up as a B-junction, and you can mount it to the slots intended for water bottle cage.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Just get the internal battery + charger, and you won't even need the PC Linkage Device for the overwhelming majority of situations. The internal battery charger will allow you to update firmware, etc.

Even if your frame isn't drilled for internal routing, you can still 1) drill it (sounds like your frame is steel) or 2) use an external battery cage for the internal battery (SM-BTC1). SM-BTC1 will double up as a B-junction, and you can mount it to the slots intended for water bottle cage.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. Part of the reason is me wanting to go 11 speed from 10 speed
Old 11-23-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. Part of the reason is me wanting to go 11 speed from 10 speed
Few other things.

Though nominally for 10-speed, your 6770 shifters will shift 11-speed groups (I think you know this as well, but just wanted to point this out).

If you decide to use the SM-BTC1, the cable lengths will need to be just a tad longer. Not drastically so, but to be on the safe side, you may want to size up.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:12 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I have sm-ew67a A Junctions on a few 11 speed Di2 setups. Including with R8k Derailleurs. Sorta limits you to the external battery. I have one with the external battery in a DIY case under the Saddle with the bulk of the mount removed. And a DIY battery on another with two 14500 and sm-ew67a I can't remember when I charged it lasts so long. .

I actually kinda like the sm-ew67a for its clean install and minimalist size and ability to hide under bar easily.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I have sm-ew67a A Junctions on a few 11 speed Di2 setups. Including with R8k Derailleurs. Sorta limits you to the external battery. I have one with the external battery in a DIY case under the Saddle with the bulk of the mount removed. And a DIY battery on another with two 14500 and sm-ew67a I can't remember when I charged it lasts so long. .

I actually kinda like the sm-ew67a for its clean install and minimalist size and ability to hide under bar easily.

Curious any pictures of your setup? Are you running all external? Which battery did you go with?
Old 11-25-2021, 11:13 PM

Think I'm going to go with a the rs-910 junction in my bars with a EW-WU111 Wireless Unit setup.

Hoping to get help with two questions:

1. How do I charge the system? I googled di2 charger and looks like they are about $140 for a cable? Thought maybe there was a micro USB port on the rs-910....guess I'm wrong and will need to fork over $$ for a special Shimano charger?

2. Anyone store their battery in a handlebar bag or saddle bag? Not really a fan of mounting on the bottle cage, I ride with a handlebar bag so can just cut a small hole in the back of the bag and place the battery in the bag. Don't see anyone doing this ....is there a problem with this method?
Old 11-25-2021, 11:24 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Curious any pictures of your setup? Are you running all external? Which battery did you go with?
I have a few with external under BB, Treks. Have a WaterBottle mount external on another. One internal battery. I have 2 bn110 internals and a bar end A junction for upgrading some but not got to it.

What pic you like to see? Of any particular aspect?

Jumping ahead to reply to your last post, I have as mentioned above one external battery under seat in bag. External battery mount with the bulk clamping portion removed. Hole in bag as you mentioned. I also used a BTR2 internal in that bag, but used the internal for another bike and put an external back in.

I had for a short while waiting for parts an internal battery with ew76a, no charging port. I just used a spare A Junction with the charging port to charge it pulling a cable. Too fiddly really.

SM-BCR2 charger for SM-BTR2/DN110 via ew90 or newer A Junction.

SM-BTR1 external battery has a stand along charger you insert the battery into, SMBCR1.

So I do have the 2 different chargers and a SM-PCE1 for running e-tube from laptop Even have a old laptop I keep off the internet with early e-tube version so it does no update.

Last edited by robt57; 11-25-2021 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:18 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Pic of external batt, mount hack and smallest bag mount reduction. The e-tube plugs onto the same place. It is not inside anymore with the shell and clamp removed. That U piece with e-tube plug has logic epoxied into it. This way still uses the seals designed in both wire to U bit and U bit to battery.

My DIY battery one used that U piece with the wires from a battery carried soldered onto the points that go in the external battery with heat shrink over. I pull the batteries from the carrier to charge in a wall charger for those 14500 lithium-ions. Those last 4x the Shimano batteries on a charge.

Last pic right shows how it goes in the saddle bag, bag has hole cut for the e-tube wire.

Seems this is what you are thinking?

You'd charge with the SMBCR1 stand alone charge base.

USUAL DISCLAIMER: Don't try this @ home yada...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExternalBatt-Hack.jpg (40.5 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by robt57; 11-26-2021 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Pic of external batt, mount hack and smallest bag mount reduction. The e-tube plugs onto the same place. It is not inside anymore with the shell and clamp removed. That U piece with e-tube plug has logic epoxied into it. This way still uses the seals designed in both wire to U bit and U bit to battery.

My DIY battery one used that U piece with the wires from a battery carried soldered onto the points that go in the external battery with heat shrink over. I pull the batteries from the carrier to charge in a wall charger for those 14500 lithium-ions. Those last 4x the Shimano batteries on a charge.

Last pic right shows how it goes in the saddle bag, bag has hole cut for the e-tube wire.

That's pretty cool! Nice hacking!
Old 11-26-2021, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Think I'm going to go with a the rs-910 junction in my bars with a EW-WU111 Wireless Unit setup.

Hoping to get help with two questions:

1. How do I charge the system? I googled di2 charger and looks like they are about $140 for a cable? Thought maybe there was a micro USB port on the rs-910....guess I'm wrong and will need to fork over $$ for a special Shimano charger?
You use the SM-BCR2. They're not cheap, unfortunately.
Note that the SM-BCR2 is just an SM-BCR2.. There is no SM-BCR2+ or SM-BCR2 "special edition".... some Amazon sellers have $200 SM-BCR2 units and others sell them for less.. and usually the only difference is an extra cable or plug. Just get the cheapest one and don't waste money on the most expensive SM-BCR2 you can find .
(I'm not sure what USD prices for the BCR2 are.. I'm in the EU)

Quote:
2. Anyone store their battery in a handlebar bag or saddle bag? Not really a fan of mounting on the bottle cage, I ride with a handlebar bag so can just cut a small hole in the back of the bag and place the battery in the bag. Don't see anyone doing this ....is there a problem with this method?
Yeah... personally I also don't like the bottle cage mount.. it is rather bulky (I have one on my indoor bike). It does have a Junction B built into it though, that's cool.

Some bikepackers I know actually ride with the battery in a handlebar bag, yeah..
That way they can take a spare battery with them and simply swap batteries when one runs out .

You can also put one in the fork steerer if you really want to, PRO make an expander that will also secure the battery.
(PRO Gap Cap + Di2: https://www.pro-bikegear.com/uk/acce...battery-holder)
Old 11-26-2021, 11:12 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Is there a wire route provision in that steerer mount/top cap setup thru expander i wonder?

-Saw install video: getting wire past expander has bigger gap in knurled bit for wire to pass. Design is for internal stem route. So stem and bars also specific for that.

Last edited by robt57; 11-26-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the pictures and responses everyone.

I think I am getting close to having a parts list together.

1. Battery Charger SM-BCR2 (seems pretty compatible with external and internal batteries?)
2. Junction A EW-RS910 (I like how this is integrated into the handlebar)
Wireless EW-WU111 (I have a garmin - seems cool?)
3. Junction B JC41
4. Front Derailleur 6870

Regarding the different battery options - which would be the most ideal if I were to stick it in a saddle bag or front handlebar bag?

Internal Battery BT-DN110?
Internal Battery BTR2 ?
External battery?
Seems like the BT-DN110 is quite slender, but the BTR2 is a older version?

Also, what is typical in terms battery life you guys are getting? I charge all my stuff before every ride (garmin, lights (3 of them)). Do these older di2 setups last more than 6 hours of riding (I don't do any overnight bikepacking)?

The frame I am going to outfit is a Cielo cross racer disc. I was looking at the cable routing last night and both derailleurs actually run across the top tube. I wonder if I will be able to slip the cables into the existing cable ferrule slots.