Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2021, 12:12 AM

Torque wrench recommendation

I just bought some carbon stuff that needs very accurate torque specs when tightening, ranging from a low of 5Nm (stem) to 40Nm (bearing cup).

Need a very good torque wrench recommendation please. Has to be able to have allen head capability (which i guess can be done via allen sockets). I have a Park ATD that I use for stems only, but it's kind of limited in its setting range, and I've always used alloy stems & bars so I've never really worried about hamfisting that to spec. I need something that can specifically handle (in Nm) 5, 6, 8, 10, 20, & 40.

I have a Craftsman beam wrench and could use that for the 40Nm BB cup install I suppose, but I wouldn't mind a clicker type or digital that is super accurate in this situation.

One question: if I'm using a socket on a clicker-type or digital wrench, does that introduce any additional force (torque) that isn't measurable? Or is the torque reading (or click setting) a highly accurate reading, i.e., torque is torque?

Thanks.

Last edited by 54ny77; 11-03-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:07 AM

Check out Fix It Stix. I have one of their sets that includes a torque wrench attachment which is very slick. Mine isn't a clicker and the scale is in inch pounds. In order to use is on my cycling gear I made up a small Nm to In Lbs conversion sheet. Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:39 AM

I have a Park TW-5.2, 2-14Nm.

I think this Wera 10-50Nm is the larger one I have.

Pretty much anything from KC Tool (all German tools) is good as well. I have a bunch of Wera torque wrenches and other Wera tools.

I prefer the click type as opposed to beam type.

Last edited by reuben; 11-03-2021 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:55 AM

I think you need two wrenches to get the range you want.

What I did was get the PB Swiss Digi torque v 2. It’s range was 3.4 - 16 nm. For big torque jobs which I believe is only BB and crank stuff, I take it to the LBS.

The Effetto Mariposa is another wrench I had which was really nice. It’s range was 2 - 16 nm IRC.

Last edited by joosttx; 11-03-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I think you are two wrenches to get the range you want.
Most likely this. If there's a single wrench that "works" from 5-50, it's probably not very accurate in at least part of its range. Range is one thing, accuracy is another.

Also agree that higher torques are only used for things like bottom brackets. I think my threaded BB is 30Nm. Most items that you'll regularly work on, such as brake calipers, derailleurs, shifters, stems, etc., will be handled by something in the 4-15 Nm range.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:47 AM
I need you cool.

I think your probably going to need two wrenches....they most accurate in the middle of their ranges.

I picked up this Wera (2.5-25Nm) set last year when I ended up with a bunch of carbon bits on my bike: Wera 05130110001 Click-Torque A 6 Set 1, 19 Pieces

Comes with most of the hex bits you will need and about $100 less than the bicycle specific one....
Old 11-03-2021, 07:50 AM

I've got the Effetto Mariposa, it's a really well made tool, and the bits are nicely machined, no rounding off of alloy bolt heads. As Reuben stated though, only 2-16nm for torque capacity. For BB installs, I use a standard 3/8th in torque wrench from a local hw store.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:06 AM

This is definitely a case for two wrenches. Torque wrenches typically only meet their claimed accuracy (usually +/- 4%) in the upper 80% of their range. So something that will hit BB or crank bolts won't be accurate for stems.

As far as recommendations go, The CDI adjustable "screwdriver" is a pretty solid option. CDI is the company that actually manufactures torque wrenches for most of the tool truck brands and many others that list "american made" they're always a solid choice.

CDI adjustable

While going with a bigger 3/8" drive CDI wrench would be a very safe bet, I feel these bigger tools are safe to come down market a little bit. I've had pretty good luck with Gear Wrench branded torque wrenches.

The last thing of note, torque wrenches are only as good as the sockets you're using. Not that the sockets will impact accuracy but if you've got a ****ty socket, it's still possible to strip the fastener. Especially some of these stem bolts that are apparently made from recycled GL280 rims and are supper soft. So don't skimp on your bits/sockets. Spend the extra loot and get some nice Wera bits and some quality sockets for the big wrench.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 11-03-2021, 08:10 AM

Feedback Sports makes a really nice torque wrench designed for servicing bikes 2-10Nm range and includes all the bits you'll likely need. As already mentioned, you'll need two torque wrenches to accommodate that range of torque requirements. I have a set of Tekton torque wrenches I use for the higher ft/lb requirements that seem to work very well for the price.

Last edited by muttley; 11-03-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:48 AM

Thx folks
Old 11-03-2021, 09:31 AM
Randomhead

I want one that does the 14nm crank bolts on shimano cranks. Someday I'm going to feel rich and get the Wera. I really liked using the Shimano Pro wrench in that range, but it looks like cheap junk.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:38 AM
#RYFB

Just noting that, in addition to cranks and BB, you need the big one for cassette lock rings too.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:01 AM

I have the CDI wrench and it's a great tool. The next one up in my toolbox is a 1/4" drive clicker that goes to 22 N-m, and I have sockets and Allen heads to fit that. After that, I'm up to a Craftsman Digitorque, but I'm not sure I have used that on my bike yet! I've been doing cassette locknuts and BB cups by feel and that seems to have worked out OK, but I'm not threading anything into carbon.

I learned with the CDI that I am usually slightly under-torquing shifters and brake levers and stem bolts. I think that's OK, and when I have had an incident that imparts a lot of force to these, they may move a bit, such as when I inadvertently hit a curb hard a few weeks ago - the bars were slightly twisted to the left.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:21 AM

I feel like such a newb with my little 5nm TorqueKey (4mm)... But it works.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
This is definitely a case for two wrenches. Torque wrenches typically only meet their claimed accuracy (usually +/- 4%) in the upper 80% of their range. So something that will hit BB or crank bolts won't be accurate for stems.

As far as recommendations go, The CDI adjustable "screwdriver" is a pretty solid option. CDI is the company that actually manufactures torque wrenches for most of the tool truck brands and many others that list "american made" they're always a solid choice.

While going with a bigger 3/8" drive CDI wrench would be a very safe bet, I feel these bigger tools are safe to come down market a little bit. I've had pretty good luck with Gear Wrench branded torque wrenches.

The last thing of note, torque wrenches are only as good as the sockets you're using. Not that the sockets will impact accuracy but if you've got a ****ty socket, it's still possible to strip the fastener. Especially some of these stem bolts that are apparently made from recycled GL280 rims and are supper soft. So don't skimp on your bits/sockets. Spend the extra loot and get some nice Wera bits and some quality sockets for the big wrench.

+1 to all of this. I have three CDI or Snap-On torque wrenches of different sizes. Note that they are plentiful on eBay but it's advisable to check the calibration when you get it.

I have my eye on that CDI TorqControl TLA28NM also. It seems like a great deal for $50. When I bought my small CDI torque wrench it came only in inch-pounds and I get tired of doing the conversion. Geez, when will America catch up to the rest of the world?