Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
What is wrong with eps? How does Shimano do it better? Ubiquity does not equal ease of use or repair. Having been on bikes with both I would have a hard time validating your claims.
Do I need to validate an opinion? Di2 looks a bit sleeker, the RD does not protrude as much and the FD is much smaller. The hoods are a bit better looking....IMO (again). Di2 has extra buttons on the hood tops you can program in all sorts of ways. There is no question Shimano has greater parts availability and support on the web is more common.

That said, I like Campy and have 11s on one bike and 12 on the other, both mechanical and rim brake. In my advancing years I have some arthritis in my thumbs and find the Campy “mouse ears” button less comfortable lately. So, for my new bike I am taking a closer look at the new Shimano stuff.

Tim
Old 01-08-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
That said, I like Campy and have 11s on one bike and 12 on the other, both mechanical and rim brake. In my advancing years I have some arthritis in my thumbs and find the Campy “mouse ears” button less comfortable lately.

I have always preferred the Power Shift levers because of the drooped thumb levers.
I dont care if only one upshift gear a click & find it more accurate anyway & can click off four gears in a second

But mainly the drooped thumb levers feel great..You just lay your thumb on them from hoods & squeeze or if in the drops again easier
Old 01-08-2022, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
I have always preferred the Power Shift levers because of the drooped thumb levers.
I dont care if only one upshift gear a click & find it more accurate anyway & can click off four gears in a second

But mainly the drooped thumb levers feel great..You just lay your thumb on them from hoods & squeeze or if in the drops again easier
I agree, have one bike with Potenza (the rest Chorus) and it's a much lighter action but I can't handle the shift-on-release. I know it doesn't mean much in the scheme of things but the way my brain is wired still prefers the gear change to occur on the press rather than the release.

Ultra shift *is* faster and when you're in the zone it's like ESP from your hands to the gears... you think it, it happens.... I feel there's a disconnect with Powershift.

Again just my own opinion, but agree Potenza is excellent otherwise.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
I agree, have one bike with Potenza (the rest Chorus) and it's a much lighter action but I can't handle the shift-on-release.

Hahah Doh ! I never thought about that but probably will now hahah

I did just break one ear of the Potenza right shifter finger paddle (not thumb lever)
It's still working while I wait on a new set from Spain but...
I kind of wish this part was alloy although this one does now have over 24,000 miles on it

Last edited by flying; 01-09-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:26 AM

Any word that Campy will begin using 142mm spacing for rear hubs on their factory wheelsets? It looks like 142x12 has become the standard.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
Any word that Campy will begin using 142mm spacing for rear hubs on their factory wheelsets? It looks like 142x12 has become the standard.
142x12 axles is the standard for the (road) rear wheels for disc brakes. Campagnolo has already been using 142x12 for their disc brake rear wheels for several years. 135mm QR is the standard for rim brake wheels, and that hasn't changed (nor do I see it changing in the future).
Old 01-10-2022, 01:22 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
142x12 axles is the standard for the (road) rear wheels for disc brakes. Campagnolo has already been using 142x12 for their disc brake rear wheels for several years. 135mm QR is the standard for rim brake wheels, and that hasn't changed (nor do I see it changing in the future).
135mm for QR rim brake?
Old 01-10-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
135mm for QR rim brake?
Oops, you're right, 130mm for (road) QR rim brake. I must have been thinking about how 142mm Thru Axle is equivalent to 135mm Over-Locknuts. (Although, 135mm QR is a standard for MTBs).

In any case, Campagnolo wheels use the current standard axle spacings (disc and rim), and should be compatible with current frames.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
135mm for qr rim brake?
lol….You forgot the double u tee eff part…
Old 01-11-2022, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Not sure what that means but I think road bikes, rim brakes, would have benefitted from being 135mm a long time ago. Better hub flange placement, more clearance small cog to frame/dropouts, lots of advantages.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:12 AM

Some interesting Campy speculation here: https://cyclingtips.com/2022/01/are-...om-campagnolo/

Speaking from someone who is brand agnostic, but has chosen groups based on function, cost, and availability in the past - Campy hasn't put out anything that floats to the top of my list other than Ekar in the past 10 plus years. Here is to hoping that they follow some of the wishes in the article.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:27 AM

13 speed everywhere

The new standard
Old 01-21-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what that means ...
Censorship issue: double u tee eff = *** = w t f = what the f#*!
Old 01-21-2022, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Some interesting Campy speculation here: https://cyclingtips.com/2022/01/are-...om-campagnolo/

Speaking from someone who is brand agnostic, but has chosen groups based on function, cost, and availability in the past - Campy hasn't put out anything that floats to the top of my list other than Ekar in the past 10 plus years. Here is to hoping that they follow some of the wishes in the article.
well written article by someone who obviously knows the brand and history pretty well. Let's see what comes this year!
Old 01-21-2022, 12:27 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
well written article by someone who obviously knows the brand and history pretty well. Let's see what comes this year!

I would quote someone from Campagnolo who read this but I'd be banned. Not everything he said it true, even regarding the amount of teams using the brand. I put his post in the same vain as what James of Cyclingtips wrote just before Ekar was unveiled. He and others kept saying Campy was going to be sold, that if they didn't come out with a game changer they'd be done, that they are always late to the game. And look at what happened? People love to hate Campy. Not sure why. But the speculation by some "in the know" is just crazy.