Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2021, 02:10 PM

OT: Portable Espresso Machine Recommendations?

With some travel coming up, I thought I'd reach out to the forum to get recommendations on what portable espresso maker folks recommend. I will be in a fairly remote area with little access to anything decent. I also like buying gadgets

I have done some Googling but value the opinions of forum members here who have some firsthand experience.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2021, 02:13 PM
Administrator

aeropress 100%
Old 08-19-2021, 02:20 PM

aeropress
Old 08-19-2021, 02:25 PM
Tired Member

Yeah, technically the aeropress is not espresso, but I don't see how you are going to get a better tasting, easier cup of coffee.

+1 on aeropress
Old 08-19-2021, 02:33 PM

Aeropress is amazing but more filter coffee than espresso.

It depends on how portable you're aiming for. Something that fits in a trunk, in a suitcase, or in a backpack?

For ultra portable, you can try the wacaco nanopresso. It doesn't get to 9bars but it does get closer than the aeropress. The experience is a bit of a hassle compared to the aeropress though.
The flair neo and cafelat robot are arguably portable, and supposedly make good cups. Same with the entry level breville machine.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
aeropress 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
aeropress
Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
Yeah, technically the aeropress is not espresso, but I don't see how you are going to get a better tasting, easier cup of coffee.

+1 on aeropress
Aeropress PLUS Fellow Prismo attachment..... ??

https://fellowproducts.com/products/prismo

Prismo is a pressure-actuated valve designed to be used with the AeroPressĀ® Coffee Maker. This attachment allows for a build-up of pressure to brew espresso-style coffee and creates a no-drip seal for recipes that normally require inverting your AeroPressĀ®.

I haven't used it myself but am thinking of trying it just for home use to break up the monotony of pour-overs.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:37 PM

Presumably you'll have access to boiling water? Is this a camping thing or will you at least have a car of some kind? If a car and you can transport a slightly bigger machine, and want true espresso,you could grab a manual maker like the Flair Neo. Allows you to use actual coffee rather than a pod. Is cheap, too. If you want something that's really good, a Cafelat Robot is superb.

The Aeropress, no matter what attachment you use with it, simply does not make espresso. If you want espresso-style, e.g. short, black and strong, it would be okay, but then so would a moka pot.

Edit: just noticed that the Flair Neo was already suggested.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:39 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I haven't used it myself but am thinking of trying it just for home use to break up the monotony of pour-overs.
I doubt it gets to 9 bars, but it certainly changes things.

I'll give that a go at some point. Thanks for putting it on my radar
Old 08-19-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Pretty sure James Hoffman tried the Prismo and found the coffee it yielded to be nowhere close to espresso. The problem with the aeropress is that the diameter is so large you'd probably shatter your vessel before reaching 9bars of pressure.
Seems like a fun accessory to experiment with, though.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Presumably you'll have access to boiling water?
I'll definitely have access to boiling water. Something that fits into a suitcase is fine. I appreciate the suggestions BIG TIME. Yet another reason why I love this forum.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
I'll definitely have access to boiling water. Something that fits into a suitcase is fine. I appreciate the suggestions BIG TIME. Yet another reason why I love this forum.
Then I think the Flair Neo really could be a good shout as its cheap...but it doesn't break down. The Flair Classic comes with a travel case and breaks down and is only $40 more. Something like the Robot also does not break down. With that said, I've taken my Robot car camping and it was great. But I wouldn't put it in a suitcase I don't think.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 08-19-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:57 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Then I think the Flair Neo really could be a good shout as its cheap...but it doesn't break down. The Flair Classic comes with a travel case and breaks down and is only $40 more. Something like the Robot also does not break down. With that said, I've taken my Robot car camping and it was great. But I wouldn't put it in a suitcase I don't think.
I seem to recall that you posted on the Robot before. How often do you pull shots on the single serving mechanical machines? And what's your daily driver? I'm just curious. I have no skin in the espresso game at all. I'd probably pull a shot a few times a week, max. I do like a good cup of coffee.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:59 PM

I love lever machines, and had no idea the Robot existed. I'd buy it if the delivery time wasn't going to overlap with my trip. My daily driver is a 20+ year old LaPavoni Professional. Maintenance has been easy with gasket replacement maybe every 2-3 years.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I seem to recall that you posted on the Robot before. How often do you pull shots on the single serving mechanical machines? And what's your daily driver? I'm just curious. I have no skin in the espresso game at all. I'd probably pull a shot a few times a week, max. I do like a good cup of coffee.
Every day , at least once a day. But I don't do milk drinks at home and I am the only coffee drinker. I use it along with a 1zpresso JX-Pro hand grinder. I think it's a killer combo for not a lot of cash. Easy to dial in, hard to make a bad shot and easy to make a great shot.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:06 PM

I propose that we have a new tagging option for threads.

OT is for threads that are off topic
$OT is for threads that are off topic and risk exposing readers to new things they must purchase right away.

and of course, we can tweak the $OT with a ranking of how risky the thread might be...

For instance:

$OT for best camping tent stake
$$$OT for best portable camping espresso machine

Thoughts?

Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Tags
caffeine, coffee, coffee espresso