Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2020, 01:47 PM

Tubular help in the SF Bay?

I've got this old Merckx frame that sustained front end damage. I turned it into a townie bike, albeit an crazy fun little ripper with my old (90's) racing tubular wheels (DA hubs with GEL 280 GL 330 combination).

I got a flat, don't know how to fix...don't want to invest much more money on this bike....anyone in the bay know how to open, patch (it's very fast leak...), and resew my Vittoria Corsa CX tires? I got the last 2 pair with red sidewalls that look pretty good on the bike.

ideas?

(I'd upload pictures but have yet to figure that out..)
Old 10-09-2020, 02:44 PM

Almost a lost art. I've done it successfully a few times but wouldn't feel confident doing it for anyone else.

Have you tried sealant? That's the easy fix. Orange seal works.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:35 PM

It's really pretty simple.

Everything you need is here: https://www.amazon.com/Velox-2723237.../dp/B001CK2JTW

I used to watch TV a fix tubbies. Just be patient.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical View Post
I've got this old Merckx frame that sustained front end damage. I turned it into a townie bike, albeit an crazy fun little ripper with my old (90's) racing tubular wheels (DA hubs with GEL 280 GL 330 combination).

I got a flat, don't know how to fix...don't want to invest much more money on this bike....anyone in the bay know how to open, patch (it's very fast leak...), and resew my Vittoria Corsa CX tires? I got the last 2 pair with red sidewalls that look pretty good on the bike.

ideas?

Surely there are youtubes on this?

If tire pressure goes down instantly (say, within a minute or two), I don't think sealant is going to help, puncture is too large. If it takes much longer than that, I'd give sealant a try (I use both Orange Seal and Bontrager).

To patch is pretty straightforward. Identify location of puncture. Carefully lift base tape opposite puncture, enough so that you have room to work, say 3-5 inches. Carefully cut exposed threads near puncture. Open carcass and remove as little of tube as possible surrounding puncture. Patch tube and reinsert. Sew carcass back together, re-glue base tape to carcass of tire. Yes, the Velox kit is handy.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical View Post

ideas?

Go see Tony Tom at Bicycle Odyssey...he's 'old school'.
https://www.bicycleodyssey.com/community
OR, as mentioned, take the valve out a squirt some sealant in there(I use Orange Seal...tubulars).

Post number 4 above sums it up nicely BUT, I use waxed dental floss to sew back up, use a chain stitch. Thimble and 'seam ripper'(below) essential for carefully cutting stitching where the hole it..Good 'carpet' needle.

If the tire is in good shape, I still repair them..but, I use Orange seal, get very few flats and if it really ides, tread gone, worm out-trash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seam-ripper-isolated-14654597.jpg (13.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 10-10-2020, 06:37 AM
Everything is connected

Good dude and quick service.

https://www.tirealert.com/
Old 10-10-2020, 06:38 PM

A good metal thimble is critical - I use it to push the needle through the casing. Plastic will result in a hole in your thumb. I stopped patching mine years ago, but it really wasn’t too difficult.

Tags
merckx, tubulars