Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 07:50 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I can't say that this is what happened, but USPS is a total mess right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped it off with them even if it's not showing up in their system.
Yup. Could be USPS as well. I’ve had things show up at my house while tracking still said it hadn’t been picked up yet. One package that showed it was en route “to the next facility” for a month. Then showed up 1.5 months after ship date (This happened to ship from CA). Everything is a mess, especially in CA.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:50 AM

Our UPS rep told me they are running at Holliday season shipping volume without the extra staff. I'm sure every other carrier is in a similar situation.

Paul and company make good parts and they are super busy. Just be patient.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 08-09-2020, 02:04 PM
Forward the Foundation

I ordered a set of brakes from Paul 2 months ago, they took 11 days
to show up in Kentucky. It was about 5 days before they shipped, per USPS tracking.

A set of MAFACs made it from France in under 2 weeks.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:18 PM

what could go wrong running the country like a private equity firm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit51 View Post
USPS has some major challenges right now to say the least.
Having a new postmaster general who has no experience in logistics seems rather unwise.

[Louis] DeJoy is the first postmaster in two decades without prior experience in the United States Postal Service. DeJoy's appointment was controversial because DeJoy and his wife have assets between $30.1 million and $75.3 million in USPS competitors or contractors, such as UPS and trucking company J.B. Hunt.

Liberal Wikipedia Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_DeJoy

And in case you want to read more "fake news": https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cr...als-2020-08-09
Old 08-09-2020, 02:24 PM

I have ordered a bunch of stuff online over the last few months. Anything USPS will show that a label was generated, and maybe even picked up, however there was hardly ever any sort of update on the USPS site related to the tracking numbers. It just seems to show up when it shows up. Kind of a bummer. Not defending Paul Components here, just merely stating my recent experiences with USPS. Now with that said, I do believe they should respond to emails and voicemails etc.

Hope you get your gear soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Having a new postmaster general who has no experience in logistics seems rather unwise.

[Louis] DeJoy is the first postmaster in two decades without prior experience in the United States Postal Service. DeJoy's appointment was controversial because DeJoy and his wife have assets between $30.1 million and $75.3 million in USPS competitors or contractors, such as UPS and trucking company J.B. Hunt.

Liberal Wikipedia Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_DeJoy

And in case you want to read more "fake news": https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cr...als-2020-08-09

Yes, it the post master generals fault that the OP didn’t get his Paul brakes yet...

Old 08-09-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Yes, it the post master generals fault that the OP didn’t get his Paul brakes yet...
The fault either lies with Paul or the USPS.

The USPS has a newly appointed postmaster general who has ordered carriers to leave mail behind if it delays routes. This is breaks with the tradition of trying to deliver every package because mail delivery could be thought of as infrastructure. Also, you know who else relies on the postal service when it's economically unfavorable for certain rural deliveries? UPS and FedEx.

I think thousands of other small business owners would also agree with you that it's Louis DeJoy's fault for making a terrible decision on how to handle mail these days.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:45 PM

Covid delays: Paul Components

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
The fault either lies with Paul or the USPS.

The USPS has a newly appointed postmaster general who has ordered carriers to leave mail behind if it delays routes. This is breaks with the tradition of trying to deliver every package because mail delivery could be thought of as infrastructure. Also, you know who else relies on the postal service when it's economically unfavorable for certain rural deliveries? UPS and FedEx.

I think thousands of other small business owners would also agree with you that it's Louis DeJoy's fault for making a terrible decision on how to handle mail these days.

Every single delivery system in the United States is over run at the moment and I don’t think the fault lies solely with an appointed bureaucrat. The supply chain for everything right now has been drastically reduced or disrupted in one way or another and I believe that has more to do with the current state of more than one person making an executive decision for USPS. UPS and Fedx both have disclaimers about packages not being delivered on time and have the exact same issues with tracking information as USPS.

I have had tracking issues with UPS and Fedx well before Covid. USPS has usually been a bit better in that respect, but not perfect by any means.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:53 PM

USPS was overwhelmed but running smoothly during COVID. Immediately after Dejoy's appointment, my neighborhood (and countless others nationwide) stopped receiving mail of any kind or over a week, and it has barely recovered in the weeks since. The mailcarriers are literally not being allowed to finish their routes. First class parcels take weeks instead of days as the postal carriers are limited on stops and post office workers are sent home instead of being allowed to finish sorting and directing packages. One day, one weekend, sure. But this has now been going on for over a month and the backlog is growing exponentially.

We're seeing an intentional and transparent effort to reduce confidence in the postal service for the interests of privatization and voter suppression. Full stop.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Every single delivery system in the United States is over run at the moment and I don’t think the fault lies solely with an appointed bureaucrat. The supply chain for everything right now has been drastically reduced or disrupted in one way or another and I believe that has more to do with the current state of more than one person making an executive decision for USPS. UPS and Fedx both have disclaimers about packages not being delivered on time and have the exact same issues with tracking information as USPS.

I have had tracking issues with UPS and Fedx well before Covid. USPS has usually been a bit better in that respect, but not perfect by any means.

Without questioning the wisdom of the policy long-term, the postal service has recently adopted new policies which, according to the internal memo "may see mail left behind or mail on the workroom floor or docks."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/conte...-33442338d1cc/

That's a policy change, and the blame or credit falls upon the people at the top who made the change. Maybe long-term, USPS will be better for it, but right now, there are problems delivering mail that are the result of policy decisions and not simply a consequence of the pandemic.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
USPS was overwhelmed but running smoothly during COVID. Immediately after Dejoy's appointment, my neighborhood (and countless others nationwide) stopped receiving mail of any kind or over a week, and it has barely recovered in the weeks since. The mailcarriers are literally not being allowed to finish their routes. First class parcels take weeks instead of days as the postal carriers are limited on stops and post office workers are sent home instead of being allowed to finish sorting and directing packages. One day, one weekend, sure. But this has now been going on for over a month and the backlog is growing exponentially.

We're seeing an intentional and transparent effort to reduce confidence in the postal service for the interests of privatization and voter suppression. Full stop.
This right here. It's a recent change. USPS was delivering fine March until recently.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:11 PM

Ayup, we've had outgoing mail with the flag up go untouched for four days in a row and (obviously) no deliveries of mail coming in either the last few months. I've also had to ask clients to resend four separate pieces of mail that all got "lost" in the ether.

Getting back to the original question, I had a hat and two masks from Rothera get dropped off at the post office in Austin and they sat at that location for 30 days before finally leaving the building.

In the meantime one of my clients just shipped 200+ crates of artwork via FedEx Ground worth $10+ million without a single hitch over the past few weeks. Not FedEx Express, just basic ass Ground service, which is a whole lower tier of FedEx.

The USPS is getting screwed.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Toast View Post

The USPS is getting screwed.
Not nearly as much as the average American consumer and folks who plan to vote by mail. This disruption is no accident.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:20 PM

I purchased some in stock cockpit parts for an incoming bike over a week ago. It took a week to dispatch from the company and the tracking via fedex originally said it would arrive tomorrow. Just checked again and it has now been moved to Wednesday and is in a state different then the original, but not any closer to where I am. I will stand by my statement of this is happening all over the country and regardless of who you are using to transport your goods...
Old 08-09-2020, 08:30 PM

Yikes, I had heard some conspiracy theories about USPS changes, but now we're seeing this play out. Pretty terrible. Hopefully my parts arrive at some point, I'll update this thread when they do.

Tags
great parts, paul, ratf*cking, trump appointee, voter suppression