Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2021, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I found the info on the Dinotte site a bit confusing as to how long the new Quad rear light actually works at different intensities and went with a Lupine Rotlicht Max instead, with a saddle mount. Will see if that turns out to be a good decision or not. I'll continue to roll the Bontrager Ions F/R on my racer, the bigger F/R lights (Outbound F, Rotlicht R) are for the winter trainer/gravel'r.
did you catch a deal on that lupine anywhere? i'm in the market for a new bright light.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:30 PM

Dinotte - are they still in biz or temp. closed re: COVID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
did you catch a deal on that lupine anywhere? i'm in the market for a new bright light.

BikeInn - hoping it actually arrives..
Old 11-28-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Check www.outboundlighting.com. Best light I’ve owned.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlincustom1 View Post
Check www.outboundlighting.com. Best light I’ve owned.

That’s what I got for my front..
Old 11-28-2021, 06:29 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I found the info on the Dinotte site a bit confusing as to how long the new Quad rear light actually works at different intensities and went with a Lupine Rotlicht Max instead, with a saddle mount. Will see if that turns out to be a good decision or not. I'll continue to roll the Bontrager Ions F/R on my racer, the bigger F/R lights (Outbound F, Rotlicht R) are for the winter trainer/gravel'r.
Good pairings.

I'm hoping that Outbound Lighting does a rear light for daytime in the next year. I've mentioned it and also on some surveys it's a high ask item.

Last edited by SpeedyChix; 11-28-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:01 PM

Has anyone recently used Dinotte to buy a light or anything else? How was the timing/shipping?

I've sorta looked around for a new rear light for another bike (since I switch my Dinotte across bikes regularly), but keep getting lazy about doing extensive research. The Dinotte is so good, and so darned bright, I wonder if anything like it (USB charge, portable, built-in battery) is meaningfully better.

So...I'd like to order a new Quad, but given my past experience with Dinotte during Covid, am hesitant. Would like to be optimistic and support an onshore biz.

Positive stories welcome please. Give me some hope!
Old 10-06-2022, 03:41 AM

Yes, Dinotte are very much still in business.

I just traded in my very old Quad Red for the latest one. They shipped the new light in just a day. The new Quads are even better than the old ones. VERY bright, great run times. And battery life is very stable over many many charge/ discharge cycles. Great lights.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:12 AM

I got this email from them yesterday. No commercial relationship--I must just be on their mailing list.

Dear Tim

We kick off the 2022 / 2023 season with some exciting news.

Customers have been asking for an 8 cell battery for years and we finally made one.
https://store.dinottelighting.com/ne...ttery-p31.aspx

To help contain costs, we have configured the Xe3 to delete the things you don’t want or need. For example, If you already have a Dinotte Lighting battery charger made in 2009 or later, delete it from your purchase.
https://store.dinottelighting.com/di...ml-3-p174.aspx

Trade-in pricing for Xe3 is also available.
https://store.dinottelighting.com/tr...mens-p234.aspx

The Xe8 with 8 cell battery is great whether you want high preformance or long run times. You can have more than 4,000 lumens for 3 hours or 24 hours of 1000 lumens output.
https://store.dinottelighting.com/20...tery-p114.aspx

2022 and beyond Quad lights use a USB-C connector. Trade in your old light or simply upgrade the electronics.
https://store.dinottelighting.com/ne...tery-p111.aspx

Old quad lights can be traded in for new ones: Owning the best taillight in the industry affords you the best price when you need to get a new one.
https://store.dinottelighting.com/tr...ight-p201.aspx

GoPro mounts for headlights and tail lights are here. We also have new taillight mounts for D shaped tubes, a universal Aeropost mount, a round tube O-ring mount and a drop mount that keeps the taillight away from the seat for shorter seat posts. Check out the new mounts here:
https://store.dinottelighting.com/he...ounts-c17.aspx

DiNotte Lighting USA
1 Merrill Industrial Drive, Suite 10
Hampton, NH 03842
http://www.dinottelighting.com
603 929 0123
Sales@dinottelighting.com
Old 10-06-2022, 07:54 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Ordered some different mounts earlier this year and they came no issues. They have been more active on social and email as well. Possibly someone has come on to help? The newer Quads are USB C and are awesome.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:47 AM

You guys are inspiring me to trade in my old Quads for the new ones.

Have also been noodling on the outbound light for the front and swapping out my L&M 1000. It doesn't seem as easily swappable between bikes. Am I right?

Reluctantly thinking about the upcoming dark, cold months ahead.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:29 AM
Back At It!

A couple of observations and a question..

1. wow, they need some website help.. kind of clunky and hard to find info like lumens on the quad taillight.. although the specs tab was blocked on my work comp.. I wonder what light they were comparing to in the very quick video?

2. the brand certainly has a following

A Question-
Are these lights that much better than other, current, cheaper lights? I recently bought a NiteRider Omega 330 after using Bike Planet Superflashes for years.. wow, what a difference! Is the Dinotte really $135 better? I can tell you the NiteRider is SO much brighter than the first gen Varia radar light I have! For ref, here is the Omega 330 I'm talking about: https://www.niterider.com/collection...or-optimal-viz
Old 10-06-2022, 09:40 AM

I got same and it reminded me of this old thread.

Fourflys, I've had a few other rear lights including a battery powered L&M and an Exposure, the Quad is just leaps and bounds better. Mine is about a decade old, and it was stupid expensive at the time which I thought was nuts. Best thing I ever bought for my bike. Maybe it's the internal reflectors, bulbs, plastic design, or whatever. It's insanely bright. I use it all the time during daylight other than when on a trail out of courtesy, in the most obnoxious blinking setting (a rapid flashing sequence).

Have had plenty of riders ask what it is, and I can tell when I have it on vs. off where the former I hear and see more cars giving me some room when passing.

That's my $0.02 on the quad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
I got this email from them yesterday. No commercial relationship--I must just be on their mailing list.

Last edited by 54ny77; 10-06-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
A couple of observations and a question..

1. wow, they need some website help.. kind of clunky and hard to find info like lumens on the quad taillight.. although the specs tab was blocked on my work comp.. I wonder what light they were comparing to in the very quick video?

2. the brand certainly has a following

A Question-
Are these lights that much better than other, current, cheaper lights? I recently bought a NiteRider Omega 330 after using Bike Planet Superflashes for years.. wow, what a difference! Is the Dinotte really $135 better? I can tell you the NiteRider is SO much brighter than the first gen Varia radar light I have! For ref, here is the Omega 330 I'm talking about: https://www.niterider.com/collection...or-optimal-viz
The cheaper lights keep getting better and better but none of them have reached the level of DiNotte.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:25 PM

It's not just about lumens or watts or candlepower. It's what you do with it. I'm not sure they have the hottest optical engineers around, but they certainly have a product that looks like it.

And I may not be entirely fair to Dinotte, but it's the red tail light, the Quad, that is what has really made their name. I've tried it next to a Blaze, all kinds of specialty taillights, Lupines, and so on, and the Dinotte has them all beat. Wide range of visibility, high intensity, long battery life, reliable waterproofness, easily accessible replacement parts (ever need to replace a silicone charger cover ($5) or a rear stainless bracket for mounting to the fixture on the frame ($7.50) or need a weird clamp with a weird diameter or a 90 degree rotation of the clamp so you can fit it where others might not think to ($2 to $6)? Need a new battery? I even had one mounted on a seat stay and ground it on a curb in a slow motion fall; they replaced the case and didn't even charge me for that one.

The Quad is a powerhouse. Now I really love Exposure headlamps but you'll have to pry my Dinotte Quad out of my cold dead hand.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:49 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
It's not just about lumens or watts or candlepower. It's what you do with it. I'm not sure they have the hottest optical engineers around, but they certainly have a product that looks like it.

And I may not be entirely fair to Dinotte, but it's the red tail light, the Quad, that is what has really made their name. I've tried it next to a Blaze, all kinds of specialty taillights, Lupines, and so on, and the Dinotte has them all beat. Wide range of visibility, high intensity, long battery life, reliable waterproofness, easily accessible replacement parts (ever need to replace a silicone charger cover ($5) or a rear stainless bracket for mounting to the fixture on the frame ($7.50) or need a weird clamp with a weird diameter or a 90 degree rotation of the clamp so you can fit it where others might not think to ($2 to $6)? Need a new battery? I even had one mounted on a seat stay and ground it on a curb in a slow motion fall; they replaced the case and didn't even charge me for that one.

The Quad is a powerhouse. Now I really love Exposure headlamps but you'll have to pry my Dinotte Quad out of my cold dead hand.
that's some pretty solid praise, thanks! Might have to talk the wife into one for Christmas..