Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: what would you buy?
Garmin Edge 1000 10 24.39%
Garmin Edge 520 Plus 9 21.95%
Wahoo Elemnt 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2018, 02:15 PM

POLL : Garming vs garmin vs wahoo, what should I get.

I'm buying a GPS unit this weekend. I've read all the threads and reviews about these 3 and I still can't decide which way I should go. Main reason is for turn by turn directions when riding out on country roads. All 3 have speed & cadence. All are priced about the same $$$.

These are my options, what should I get?

1. $300 Garmin 1000 bundle new old stock in box
2. $380 Garmin 520 Plus bundle .................
3. $350 Wahoo elemnt bundle (430- $80 rebate )

Thanks, in advance.
(I mostly just wanted to create a poll)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Administrator

You might do a search on the forum as this exact subject came up recently.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Also look at the details of that Wahoo rebate, they want your bank account details for direct deposit. I don’t have that much trust personally!
Old 06-07-2018, 02:47 PM

At $300 the Edge 1000 is an awful lot more full featured. It gives you all the navigation, has a great map set with the OpenStreetMap setup it comes with, and it actually works if you don't have a cell phone with you and/or ride out of network coverage.

If you were paying full boat for a brand new Edge 1020 bundle @ $600+ this is a decision but if the Edge 1000 is the cheapest I'd get it.

Only real issues with are possibly breaking the power button after years, the UI can be complex, and it apparently has some issues at distances > 150-200 miles without stopping and starting a new ride.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinarelli View Post
I'm buying a GPS unit this weekend. I've read all the threads and reviews about these 3 and I still can't decide which way I should go. Main reason is for turn by turn directions when riding out on country roads. All 3 have speed & cadence. All are priced about the same $$$.

These are my options, what should I get?

1. $300 Garmin 1000 bundle new old stock in box
2. $380 Garmin 520 Plus bundle .................
3. $350 Wahoo elemnt bundle (430- $80 rebate )

Thanks, in advance.
(I mostly just wanted to create a poll)
I use a Garmin Edge 1030 and have used an Edge 1000 before that, and every top end edge since the 705. My wife has a 510,and I just took delivery of an 820 for her last evening that was to be her birthday present. I’m likely sending the 820 back. It’s really slick and small, but too small to see well if you wear contacts for distance. I like the 1030 al lot, and the big screen is much easier on the eyes. Unfortunately, it’s too big to fit on my wife’s Tri bike with her hydration stuff also mounted.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:07 PM

Always read the fine print. Bank account details you say? I see that now. I
will have to think about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Also look at the details of that Wahoo rebate, they want your bank account details for direct deposit. I don’t have that much trust personally!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
You might do a search on the forum as this exact subject came up recently.
I've read most of the posts about it recently, and read most of the reviews. Lots of opinions for all 3 of them. I was still undecided. I was just curious about the poll to see what one would actually buy.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:10 PM

What is your most important use case?

If you want preloaded sky workouts and you're really into Strava Live Segments and stuff like that (assuming the Wahoo implemntation is good) than you might want the Wahoo.

If you want to ride out of cell coverage and be able to navigate without having a cell phone you might want the edge.

According to DC Rainmaker the Wahoo nav kind of stinks even when you've got the Cell phone and it has coverage...

A lot of the structured workout stuff and Strava Live segments stuff is dumb IMO. I do structured workouts > 50% of the time with my Edge 1000 and I use Training peaks but I never use the integration features because the integration features can't deal with real world conditions. The workout keeps going regardless of whether you have to slow down due to construction or something. When you're just memorizing your workout & know your zones and just pushing the Lap button you can adjust the workout to fit conditions if necessary.

Last edited by benb; 06-07-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:11 PM

As someone who is searching Garmin help forums currently and about to contact customer service for x2 separate issues (Edge 520 excessive battery drain, dead on ride less than three hours + constant autopausing while moving) I'd jump at the chance to switch allegiances to Wahoo.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I've read most of the posts about it recently, and read most of the reviews. Lots of opinions for all 3 of them. I was still undecided. I was just curious about the poll to see what one would actually buy.
Glad you found the info. I've been wanting to finally get a GPS based unit and have been closely watching these discussions too.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:16 PM

Main use is riding outside cell area. Don't ever use Strava live segments or the like. I was leaning towards the Wahoo but then I read the DCR review. His issue is a more specific case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
What is your most important use case?

If you want preloaded sky workouts and you're really into Strava Live Segments and stuff like that (assuming the Wahoo implemntation is good) than you might want the Wahoo.

If you want to ride out of cell coverage and be able to navigate without having a cell phone you might want the edge.

According to DC Rainmaker the Wahoo nav kind of stinks even when you've got the Cell phone and it has coverage...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
As someone who is searching Garmin help forums currently and about to contact customer service for x2 separate issues (Edge 520 excessive battery drain, dead on ride less than three hours + constant autopausing while moving) I'd jump at the chance to switch allegiances to Wahoo.
I have read lot and lots of posts about Garmin battery issues connectivity and UI problems. You gotta think that the people that have no issues don't comment in the forums with angry posts. You see more of the negative stuff.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:22 PM

I was recently in your place wondering which to get.

I don’t use strava or heart rate monitor or analyze my power.

I just wanted something for turn by turn for defined courses and to track mileage and elevation.

Everyone’s preferences and needs are different but I ended up buying a garmin watch—battery life and turn by turn were my main requirements.

Just something else to throw in the mix
Old 06-07-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I have read lot and lots of posts about Garmin battery issues connectivity and UI problems. You gotta think that the people that have no issues don't comment in the forums with angry posts. You see more of the negative stuff.
My Garmin 520 has experienced battery life issues after a firmware update sometime last fall. 100% full battery on the display would all of a sudden give me a low battery warning less than 15 minutes later. Seems to have gotten better with subsequent updates but still doesn't seem like it was when brand new (only had mine just over a year). The UI is a bit slow to react at times (like waking up an older computer from sleep mode).

Just over a month ago GPS wouldn't connect, period. Turns out I had a failed GPS firmware update and the version was now 0.00. Had to hunt that one down online and do my own fix because the device firmware update software was too stupid to fix it on it's own. Plus I really didn't want to perform a factory reset because it is a pita to set these things up again with multiple profiles and device pairings. Fix involved downloading a firmware online ad placing into a folder directly on the device. That fixed the update loop and finally allowed the GPS to connect to satellites again.

Wish they'd just let you set it on online or the Garmin software (on your phone or computer) and then push it to your device. Would save a bunch of time (and aggravation from the wife) hearing constant beep, beep, beep for an hour or more straight trying to set it up again.

This is the first time I've complained online about it but most of the time it just works.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 PM

Oh great, thanks, another option. Just kidding. I appreciate your input. Unfortunately, I am not able to wear a watch, never have been, I just feel like I'm suffocating, but that's anther issue all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I was recently in your place wondering which to get.

I don’t use strava or heart rate monitor or analyze my power.

I just wanted something for turn by turn for defined courses and to track mileage and elevation.

Everyone’s preferences and needs are different but I ended up buying a garmin watch—battery life and turn by turn were my main requirements.

Just something else to throw in the mix
These are the horror stories I hear about the garmins. I hope they fixed it for the 520 Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxx0050 View Post
My Garmin 520 has experienced battery life issues after a firmware update sometime last fall. 100% full battery on the display would all of a sudden give me a low battery warning less than 15 minutes later. Seems to have gotten better with subsequent updates but still doesn't seem like it was when brand new (only had mine just over a year). The UI is a bit slow to react at times (like waking up an older computer from sleep mode).

Just over a month ago GPS wouldn't connect, period. Turns out I had a failed GPS firmware update and the version was now 0.00. Had to hunt that one down online and do my own fix because the device firmware update software was too stupid to fix it on it's own. Plus I really didn't want to perform a factory reset because it is a pita to set these things up again with multiple profiles and device pairings. Fix involved downloading a firmware online ad placing into a folder directly on the device. That fixed the update loop and finally allowed the GPS to connect to satellites again.

Wish they'd just let you set it on online or the Garmin software (on your phone or computer) and then push it to your device. Would save a bunch of time (and aggravation from the wife) hearing constant beep, beep, beep for an hour or more straight trying to set it up again.

This is the first time I've complained online about it but most of the time it just works.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:57 PM
aka RAEKWON

I am very curious about the bolt but I have a garmin 1000 and has been pretty great (definitely the best garmin I have had, by far). I think if you want maps, the 1000 is a must. Battery life is fine, screen is nice, I like the touchscreen. I am hoping wahoo makes something like the 1000 eventually (maybe a little smaller but with better battery life, user friendliness which the wahoo has over the garmin). Pretty much to me, I would either get a 1000, the newer 1000 (whatever its called, 1020 or something) or a wahoo bolt ( I feel like the element is too old now, I am betting a new version of that is around the corner)

Also I cannot believe that after all these years you still cannot send maps to the garmin unless you connect it to a computer, that really bugs me.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Main use is riding outside cell area. Don't ever use Strava live segments or the like. I was leaning towards the Wahoo but then I read the DCR review. His issue is a more specific case.

I switched from Garmin 800 to Wahoo Bolt. My use case is randonneuring and other long rides. I would estimate that in my area Wahoo has already become more popular than Garmin in a short period of a couple years. I see very few people satisfied with their Garmin.

Tags
1000, edge, garmin, wahoo