Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
. . . Also, I don't consider a pro ridden/owned bike to be a plus. Especially if it was raced on. They put their gear through all sorts of torture.
Patrick Sercu is a contemporary of Eddy's. I believe they raced as juniors together and they later rode Six-Day events together. He was retired by the time Eddy opened shop, and long before MX Leaders were even a glimmer in somebody's eye.

Doesn't detract from your point, and who knows what else Sercu did with it assuming it was his bike (and it would appear that the one thing we know he did with it was sell it or give it away - just sayin'), but he certainly did not race as a pro on it.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:37 PM

He retired in 1983, right?

Aaron O, FlashUNC, John H.: much appreciate your input.

BTW Christian, how does one date an MXL? I'm not even sure what the production years are. Any online resources for that info?

Last edited by Rayomatic; 05-22-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayomatic View Post
... how does one date an MXL? I'm not even sure what the production years are. Any online resources for that info?
This may help.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
This may help.
This can help, but keep in mind that there are many exceptions to the guidelines laid out in the link. Out of the 3 Merckxs that I currently have, none of them conforms to the formats shown or accurately denotes the model or year.

Texbike
Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
This can help, but keep in mind that there are many exceptions to the guidelines laid out in the link. Out of the 3 Merckxs that I currently have, none of them conforms to the formats shown or accurately denotes the model or year.

Texbike
You are indeed correct (hence my use of the word "may" ). Even with my '88/'89 custom-for-someone-else-ex-race-bike purchased from the same seller, it did assist in narrowing down the year of manufacture. Still don't know what tubing is used.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Listed before?

How long has this owner had the bike? I used to follow the MXL market religiously and I swear this exact bike was sold several years ago (4-5 maybe?) and I seem to recall being surprised that it sold for lower than I expected. Sure, a lot of the components have gone up in value since then, but I'm pretty sure it was in the sub-$2k range.

Great looking bike and if someone is willing to spend $3500 on it then it's worth it to them, but I agree with all of the other comments. Having owned and sold an MXL, they are great bikes, but for me not at that price.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
How long has this owner had the bike? I used to follow the MXL market religiously and I swear this exact bike was sold several years ago (4-5 maybe?) and I seem to recall being surprised that it sold for lower than I expected. Sure, a lot of the components have gone up in value since then, but I'm pretty sure it was in the sub-$2k range.
I actually found some info about one referred to as "Belgium Flag Edition" on this site, which is what led me here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/printt...?t=96989&pp=40
But I don't think that was the same bike. That one ended up selling for $1000.

The Sercu seller says he bought it 4 years ago in Belgium. Didn't say if that was through ebay or not. He definitely upgraded the wheels and some other components.

Last edited by Rayomatic; 05-22-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:32 PM

I bet it's pieced together. Also, shouldn't the shiny bits be pantographed?
Old 05-22-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
I bet it's pieced together. Also, shouldn't the shiny bits be pantographed?
All of the Campy parts (except for the Shamals) seem to be a similar vintage (early Ergo 8). However, the parts (except for the Shamals) are older than the frameset.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 05-22-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I actually found some info about one referred to as "Belgium Flag Edition" on this site, which is what led me here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/printt...?t=96989&pp=40
But I don't think that was the same bike. That one ended up selling for $1000.
I specifically remember a Sercu bike being for sale before, as I was considering buying it just for the historical value even though it wouldn't fit.

Not that it really matters at this point, but interesting to see it changing hands again at a much higher price.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 PM

Doubt

Well folks,

To quote what the seller wrote:

"I have bought the bike 4 years before beside the city of Ostende. When I have seen the bike it was a surprise because the seller don't said me that the bike was owned by Patrick Sercu. I have bought it for the "belgium" color. But to know that icome from Sercu was better. The seller said me that i have bought the bike to Sercu because he is a friend of him. [these two statements in bold seem contradictory -Ed] No Paper with bike of course.[...] The bike had a special color who can explain by a special order. Sercu is a personal friend of Merckx you know. This guy was in the Merclx's team and he won a lot of track races with Merckx. Merckx had do this special color schem for his friend. The name "Patrick Sercu" is under the finish. it's not a sticker with a name.."

Hey, Patrick Sercu is still alive and well and living in Roeselare, so why not ask him? I did a little digging and found an email address, so I wrote hoping he could settle the matter himself, despite his busy schedule organizing the Six Days of Ghent. And here's what I just got back:

Patrick Sercu (patrick@xxxxxx.xxx)
6:16 PM
Hi,
Sorry but that was not my bike,
Patrick Sercu

So this becomes very interesting. As someone asked re: this bike on another forum, "Why would Patrick have sold it?" Maybe the explanation is that he didn't!
So what is it? A custom order by a big Sercu fan, maybe? I can't imagine someone having the bike painted up just for the sake of a scam, whether it was the current or previous seller. He might very well be honest as the day is long, but perhaps too carried away by his imagination. You just never know: I've seen other ads for the same bike in Vancouver, Russia, and France, using the same pictures, which the seller said are fake ads. There's an EMX-525 on Craigslist in Pittsburgh for $1000...using the exact same pics from one that sold in California on Ebay recently for over three times the price. It's a cruel world. Helps to do some research.

I like the bike itself and have no doubt that it's an MX-Leader, but I don't feel too confident now in paying such a a high premium for it.

This emptor gonna caveat.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Well, how about that!?
Old 05-25-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Well folks,

To quote what the seller wrote:

"I have bought the bike 4 years before beside the city of Ostende. When I have seen the bike it was a surprise because the seller don't said me that the bike was owned by Patrick Sercu. I have bought it for the "belgium" color. But to know that icome from Sercu was better. The seller said me that i have bought the bike to Sercu because he is a friend of him. [these two statements in bold seem contradictory -Ed] No Paper with bike of course.[...] The bike had a special color who can explain by a special order. Sercu is a personal friend of Merckx you know. This guy was in the Merclx's team and he won a lot of track races with Merckx. Merckx had do this special color schem for his friend. The name "Patrick Sercu" is under the finish. it's not a sticker with a name.."

Hey, Patrick Sercu is still alive and well and living in Roeselare, so why not ask him? I did a little digging and found an email address, so I wrote hoping he could settle the matter himself, despite his busy schedule organizing the Six Days of Ghent. And here's what I just got back:

Patrick Sercu (patrick@xxxxxx.xxx)
6:16 PM
Hi,
Sorry but that was not my bike,
Patrick Sercu

So this becomes very interesting. As someone asked re: this bike on another forum, "Why would Patrick have sold it?" Maybe the explanation is that he didn't!
So what is it? A custom order by a big Sercu fan, maybe? I can't imagine someone having the bike painted up just for the sake of a scam, whether it was the current or previous seller. He might very well be honest as the day is long, but perhaps too carried away by his imagination. You just never know: I've seen other ads for the same bike in Vancouver, Russia, and France, using the same pictures, which the seller said are fake ads. There's an EMX-525 on Craigslist in Pittsburgh for $1000...using the exact same pics from one that sold in California on Ebay recently for over three times the price. It's a cruel world. Helps to do some research.

I like the bike itself and have no doubt that it's an MX-Leader, but I don't feel too confident now in paying such a a high premium for it.

This emptor gonna caveat.
Well then, that just knocked the asking price by at least half.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:07 AM

I had just assumed it was a presentation piece or a gift made for him! Who would have thought you could just email a question to someone using the internet!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 AM

update

I forwarded Patrick Sercu's email to the seller. He thanked me and said he updated the ebay auction. He did update it, by listing the frame and fork only for a $1690 USD asking price (including worldwide shipping).

That still seems mighty steep for just the frame and fork.

Tags
merckx, mx-leader, valuation