Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2022, 11:31 AM

Saving valve cores

I recently had a slow leak in a tube and figured out that it was coming from the valve core. I took some pliers and tightened it and fixed the problem.
That got me thinking. I usually patch tubes a couple of times but always carry a new tube when on a ride. If I have more than two patches or I can't patch the hole, I toss the tube. But, I have never thought about saving the valve core. Do any of you remove the valve cores to save as spares, or is this just my hoarding tendency coming out?
Old 01-20-2022, 11:34 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Bear View Post
I recently had a slow leak in a tube and figured out that it was coming from the valve core. I took some pliers and tightened it and fixed the problem.
That got me thinking. I usually patch tubes a couple of times but always carry a new tube when on a ride. If I have more than two patches or I can't patch the hole, I toss the tube. But, I have never thought about saving the valve core. Do any of you remove the valve cores to save as spares, or is this just my hoarding tendency coming out?
Since I stopped running tubes I harvested the valve cores out of most of my old tubes to serve as replacements for the ones gummed up by sealant. Does that count?
Old 01-20-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Since I stopped running tubes I harvested the valve cores out of most of my old tubes to serve as replacements for the ones gummed up by sealant. Does that count?
I doubt that I will ever stop using tubes nor switch to disk brakes. I'm 53. I can't see the rationale for switching.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:03 PM
Meh

Quote:
I doubt that I will ever stop using tubes nor switch to disk brakes. I'm 53. I can't see the rationale for switching.
Sir, this is a Wendy's.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:57 AM

I save them, but you can buy a whole bunch of valve cores on Amazon or ebay for cheap anyway.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Yes, and I do the same. Still run tubes on my one of my road bikes, so I have an occasional source of cores...
Old 01-25-2022, 02:19 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

What are you people doing with spare valve cores?

Short answer...you don't need to keep spare ones. If one isn't working correctly, and you really, really need one pull one from a tube you have. You can always put it back. Or, if it's leaking, fix it (like OP did).
Old 01-25-2022, 03:11 PM

I started saving valve after I switched to tubless on my mtb since I tend to replace the valve stuck with Orange Seal every 3-4 months, or after a bad sealant replenish job. I have a bag of spare valves bought from Amazon should last me for years. But I still love the happy feeling of not wasting useful resources.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:17 PM

I carry a spare core in my bag and have half a dozen in my tool box.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:41 PM

Switched one out yesterday, I find Continental tubulars, specifically Sonderklasse tubulars have problematic valve cores. The small black valve core seal seems to stick to the apposing seat and not release cleanly. Upon valve core removal the black seal often appears mis aligned on the valve core shaft allowing for a slow leak or complete deflation. Following a few months of daily pump ups, this seems to be a routine occurrence. So, I always harvest from my old tubes and keep spares accessible. Going to try maintaining the cores with a small dose of Silicone spray and observe if this cures the issue.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:41 AM

Most shop mechanics are scavenging valve cores since tubeless has become popular. Trying to clean out valve cores sucks.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Gosh that’s like 8yo older than me. I’m glad I made the switch before hitting that level of stubbornness

I recently switched to valves that don’t seem like they will clog so bought a big bag of valve replacements and will be listing all my pretty presta valves such as muc off iridescent!