Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2021, 02:09 PM

OT: Timeliness for Overnight large envelope delivery in US?

I am going to have to mail a large envelope for fast delivery, tomorrow or Friday. It could go UPS, FedEx, or USPS. East coast, US.

The question: Which do you think gives me my best shot at getting a timely delivery? I realize this is strictly anecdotal, and it is the holidays and all; I'm just trying to get a little better handle on what is happening out there. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2021, 02:11 PM

Most if not all of those offer guarantee by times with express delivery….just use that?
Old 12-15-2021, 02:44 PM

Sure they do offer guarantees, but they just don't always get it done on time these days. I'll take it that it is not as big a problem as i fear if no one here has had enough real delays to bother to post in this thread.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
I am going to have to mail a large envelope for fast delivery, tomorrow or Friday. It could go UPS, FedEx, or USPS. East coast, US.

The question: Which do you think gives me my best shot at getting a timely delivery? I realize this is strictly anecdotal, and it is the holidays and all; I'm just trying to get a little better handle on what is happening out there. Thanks!
If you're willing to pay for it FedEx first overnight is the best bet, since they're guaranteeing a timed delivery window super early and not just a delivery day. Also I've found with FedEx overnight they have a few more driver options in my area vs UPS which only uses their own trucks.

But having used the other services they're pretty good at getting stuff on time or fully refunding the cost.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:15 PM

OK, Thanks for the input.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:14 PM
Registered (ab)User

+1 for FedEx First Overnight or whatever their priciest option is called.

ime If you need something next day FedEx is far more reliable than UPS or USPS...but as soon as you need something 2nd Day or 3rd Day or Soon Enough Without Costing An Arm & A Leg, their reliability drops way off.

E.g., if I need something ~4 days from now, UPS Orange Label will definitely arrive in 3 days, whereas FedEx Express Saver will arrive in 5 if you're lucky. And it will be delivered to the house next door. And it will arrive broken.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
If you're willing to pay for it FedEx first overnight is the best bet, since they're guaranteeing a timed delivery window super early and not just a delivery day. Also I've found with FedEx overnight they have a few more driver options in my area vs UPS which only uses their own trucks.

But having used the other services they're pretty good at getting stuff on time or fully refunding the cost.
I think UPS also has a first overnight delivery option as well, but note that this usually indicates delivery before 8:00 or 8:30 AM, so you may want to make sure that the location is accessible for delivery at that time.

Also, wouldn't put too much faith in the delivery guarantee...all too often they will claim forces beyond their control (weather, riots, etc.) and then cancel all guarantees. Probably buried in their terms of service somewhere.

Also, if it is that critical, might think about also bringing it to an actual FedEx depot vs. drop box of third party shipping location. Less chance for it it get loss on its way to the first distribution center.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:37 PM

Super quick, FedEx.
Get there at a reasonable time, UPS.

I wouldn't use USPS. I sent a car part to a guy in Philly, so a 6 hour drive from my house. I sent it in April. It arrived mid June. Didn't move for about 6 weeks from MA, then stayed in a Philly post office for 2 or 3 weeks also. I paid whatever isn't next day, like Priority or something. Normally 2 day.

It took so long we argued about the price once it arrived, because he'd forgotten the conversation. I told him $130, he thought it was $150. haha. He decided that he'd pay the price I agreed on, which was $130.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:47 PM

Fed ex overnight.

Keep in mind if your delivery is East or west coast as cut off times are different (at least here in the west coast)
Old 12-15-2021, 08:31 PM

My attempt at this recently was through USPS. Next day guaranteed ended up taking 3 days, but the refund request was processes almost instantly and I had a check in the mail for the full cost of the postage within a week.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:29 AM

Great parsing of the different options. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

In a very general nutshell...FedEx is known for number of aircraft, UPS for number of trucks...some 'overlap' but if ya want it overnight-FedEx...