Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2021, 01:26 PM

Wahoo Kickr - AXS 12 - Drivetrain horror

All,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of grinding and clunkiness of running axs 12 speed on the kickr. It has this unbelievable noise and I've tried to micro adjust in either direction but to no help. The cassette is brand new and the chain maybe has 500 miles on it. Surely this isn't a case of the cassette and chain wear mismatch? I've done some searching on the internet and found several cases of people having this same issue. I'm going to take off the XDR Freehub and re install the cassette tonight to see if this helps.

Anyone?
Old 12-08-2021, 01:56 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Check the DS kickr end cap for wear marks.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=260076

Assuming your kickr is the one of the newer versions that support XDR, but that's always something to check as well as the NDS spacing piece on the Kickr (142 vs 148)
Old 12-08-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsteinker View Post
All,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of grinding and clunkiness of running axs 12 speed on the kickr. It has this unbelievable noise and I've tried to micro adjust in either direction but to no help. The cassette is brand new and the chain maybe has 500 miles on it. Surely this isn't a case of the cassette and chain wear mismatch? I've done some searching on the internet and found several cases of people having this same issue. I'm going to take off the XDR Freehub and re install the cassette tonight to see if this helps.

Anyone?
I had the exact same issue on my Kickr CORE with 1st gen (black) Force AXS cassette and AXS chain. Both were brand new, I degreased the factory oil from the chain and applied Smoove, and the drivetrain was noisy and especially rumbly at the 10t cog out back.

Switched to a ~1000 miles used Red AXS chain and it quieted down a bit but still rumbled a lot, switched to a ~1000miles used Red AXS cassette and that got rid of most of the rumble. Apparently the tight tolerances of a new chain with limited lube dispersion along with the brand new black cassette caused a ton of noise. When the black cassette paint wore off a bit from use I tried it on the trainer again and it was quieter than before but still not as quiet as the Red. Since then I've put on a Rival AXS 10-36 and it's the quietest of them all - maybe because the stamped cogs aren't quite as sharp as the CNC'd ones, and the steel being heavier so dampening sounds more.

Hope this helps
Old 12-08-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
I had the exact same issue on my Kickr CORE with 1st gen (black) Force AXS cassette and AXS chain. Both were brand new, I degreased the factory oil from the chain and applied Smoove, and the drivetrain was noisy and especially rumbly at the 10t cog out back.

Switched to a ~1000 miles used Red AXS chain and it quieted down a bit but still rumbled a lot, switched to a ~1000miles used Red AXS cassette and that got rid of most of the rumble. Apparently the tight tolerances of a new chain with limited lube dispersion along with the brand new black cassette caused a ton of noise. When the black cassette paint wore off a bit from use I tried it on the trainer again and it was quieter than before but still not as quiet as the Red. Since then I've put on a Rival AXS 10-36 and it's the quietest of them all - maybe because the stamped cogs aren't quite as sharp as the CNC'd ones, and the steel being heavier so dampening sounds more.

Hope this helps
Interesting! yeah i'm using a brand new zero mile Rival AXS cassette. I took the trainer and the cassette out of the box yesterday so everything is fresh. I think i'm going to take the force cassette off of my wheel set and pop it on the trainer and see if that works? It definitely sounds like the chain is too wide for the cogs it sounds like its rubbing on both sides of the smaller and bigger cog to the one next to it. Weird I never heard on the road either.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Check the DS kickr end cap for wear marks.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=260076

Assuming your kickr is the one of the newer versions that support XDR, but that's always something to check as well as the NDS spacing piece on the Kickr (142 vs 148)
wow thats weird for sure. I just got my kickr in the mail yesterday and had my local LBS install the driver. Everything is zero miles but ill definitely check the end caps again.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:57 PM

Well I put the cassette from my actual wheel set on which is the force 10-36. Works like a dream. No noise and shifts great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2021, 05:59 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Was the previous cassette Rival lever or other?
Edit: Saw Rival above.

Was it the same gearing?
Old 12-13-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Was the previous cassette Rival lever or other?
Edit: Saw Rival above.

Was it the same gearing?

It was not. It was 10-33. Downsizing so
Couldn’t have been stretch and overloading the drive line. Weird. I just ended up buying the exact cassette to keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk