Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2021, 12:11 PM

Relocating to Sacramento - Recommend a LBS

To all Sacramento Peeps,

Relocation begins in a few weeks - thanks for all the input about locations to live and ended up in the Tacoma Park area - and will be on the hunt for a new LBS. Our current consists of a No. 22 Drifter, SL5 SWorks, Serotta Colorado Legend Ti, and Bianchi Superleggera. I wouldn't be surprised if I add a MTN bike later in the year.

Besides knowledgeable and appreciative of different bikes, I find myself in shops where I can visit and chat without a purpose (don't need service, don't need to buy something, just to chat). I've been fortunate to have in Big Wheel Bikes Old Town now (Volker Bikes back in the day in KC) and would be great to find such a place again.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

AHC

****EDIT ORIGINAL POST****

Partner and I will be relocating to Sacramento in the coming months and would very much value you input regarding areas we're considering:
Midtown / Boulevard Park / New Era Park
East Sacramento
Curtis Park
North Oak Park
West / East Tahoe Park

We do want to stay reasonably near Midtown where her mother lives and also she doesn't want to deal with traffic / hassle of a commute crossing the Sacramento and/or American Rivers.

Reading the different threads, it sounds like the catalytic converter will be gone from my Honda Civic regardless of location; I am more interested in the security of our bicycles particularly my Drifter and her Serotta Colorado Ti (with Campy, yup she has good taste).

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

AHC

Last edited by ahumblecycler; 01-27-2022 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:50 PM

No idea on locations to live but, cyclocross racing was fun there.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:55 PM

I lived in Davis for a long time, some great (flat) riding around there with some fast and consistent group rides.

West Sacramento has built out quite a bit and I have friends who lived there for awhile and they liked it.

I actually like midtown even though it's pretty busy and loud.

Cx racing scene is pretty good as is road racing if that's your thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahumblecycler View Post
To all Sacramento Peeps,

Partner and I will be relocating to Sacramento in the coming months and would very much value you input regarding areas we're considering:
Midtown / Boulevard Park / New Era Park
East Sacramento
Curtis Park
North Oak Park
West / East Tahoe Park

We do want to stay reasonably near Midtown where her mother lives and also she doesn't want to deal with traffic / hassle of a commute crossing the Sacramento and/or American Rivers.

Reading the different threads, it sounds like the catalytic converter will be gone from my Honda Civic regardless of location; I am more interested in the security of our bicycles particularly my Drifter and her Serotta Colorado Ti (with Campy, yup she has good taste).

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

AHC
I'm not familiar with North Oak Park. When I was growing up, Oak Park was not a very desirable neighborhood, but I know that has changed. If you want walkability, I think Midtown is great and I used to live there, though I note it's where my Serotta Ti got stolen out of the back of my car. The areas you mentioned are all considered good places to live. You might also want to check out McKinley Park too. My brother lives there and seems to enjoy it, though it's mainly for his wife for whom walkability was very important. Sacramento is a great place to live.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:20 PM

The Summer nights in midtown are magical. East Sac and Curtis Park can be really nice, too. Man, I miss my old hood. Being twenty one wasn’t too shabby either…
Old 12-10-2021, 08:29 PM
The bass playing cyclist

I'm not much of an urban living kind of guy, so I'd move to Folsom and commute the 32 miles to downtown on one of nicest bike trails in the country:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...memorial-trail

If I HAD to live downtown, I'd be looking at the fabulous forties:

https://filmsac.com/the-fab-forties/
Old 12-10-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
I'm not much of an urban living kind of guy, so I'd move to Folsom and commute the 32 miles to downtown on one of nicest bike trails in the country:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...memorial-trail

If I HAD to live downtown, I'd be looking at the fabulous forties:

https://filmsac.com/the-fab-forties/

The new part of Folsom is like Orange County. The Fabulous Forties are great, but very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2021, 12:59 PM

I live in Sac

East Sac is nice, since you are close to the bike trail, which is a major feature if you ride
Old 12-11-2021, 01:33 PM

I lived in East Sacramento near McKinley Park for about 6 years and had friends in Curtis Park, the Fab Forties, and the Tahoe Park area. The Curtis Park and East Sacramento areas have a variety of home styles, from Craftsman bungalow, Tudor, and very modern. These can all be mixed within a small area. East Sac (I include the 40's in East Sac) and Curtis park have a nice urban vibe with good restaurants and entertainment nearby plus there is relatively easy access of the American River Bike Trail which opens up riding country to the east and west. When I lived in East Sac I could take the bike trail to Folsom get off and go into the foothills and loop back to town. Pretty easy to do 50 miles and 5-6k of climbing if you wish, or just stay on the flats. I think of those areas of Sacramento as relatively bike friendly, but it is still an urban area.

If your partner is trying to limit commenting and will be working in the downtown area, then all of the choices you mentioned will help limit travel time. The more you go east or west then commute times can climb significantly.

There is a pretty decent quality of life in the area and other than population growth and some not to be underplayed homeless issues, I always felt it was a great place to live.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:55 PM

I don't have much to add being that it has been 45 years since I lived there.
But, there are two great frame builders there, Aaron @ARCycles and Steve Rex so you have that going for you. I do remember riding out to Folsom lake as a kid though and that was fun.
Good Luck and have fun.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:34 AM

Bump with new intent of soliciting LBS suggestions.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:03 AM

The Bicycle Business on Freeport has been around for basically forever and is (at least was) a high end road shop.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:28 AM

I grew up in Sacramento and lived there for about 15 years in total before moving to Utah and now Texas.

I had the great fortune of being the poor family in Curtis Park, and I wouldn't change a thing. Very tight-knit community, and if I could afford to move to that neighborhood, I would. Lots of cyclists there, and it is within riding distance of downtown, the American River Bike Trail, and stuff like that. In the area, you have The Bicycle Business, Trek Sacramento, and Mike's Bikes Sacramento. The former is a staple of the area and does a great job with their stuff.

North Oak Park is a victim of gentrification, with home prices pushing out longstanding minority groups in the area. Oak Park itself has had a bad wrap for a long time, but I don't think that's the case anymore. The area has a lot of character and lots of really cool shops. I am especially fond of Old Soul Coffee and Faria Bakery, not to mention the array of Vietnamese, Chinese, soul, and other food destinations in the area. Again, easy access to midtown and downtown, as well as the ARBT.

People tend to like the Elmhurt area too, which is adjacent and slightly south with East Sac.

If you're looking for a mechanic, my old coworker (and avid local racer) Bob
is one of the best in town. His Instagram is @flatlandersbikeshop. I highly recommend him.

But just about any of the areas you point to will be nice, with Curtis Park and most of East Sac being the easiest places from which to bike to downtown, midtown, or other destinations.

Sacramento has excellent food due to its proximity to the Central Valley farmlands, is pretty bikeable depending on where you live, and has an inviting cycling community in my experience. If you're into coffee, I've had many of my NBA journalist friends say Sacramento has the most underrated coffee scene in the U.S.

Last edited by alvinholbrook; 01-27-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:47 AM
cnighbor2

The Delta

Get out to the delta
Great Riding
Little traffic
Some wind at times
Using the delta and bike path one can get to the east Bay
Old 01-27-2022, 12:20 PM

For LBS

E Street Bike is good. It used to be Steve Rex Bikes, and now the mechanic runs it and Steve builds in a shed in his back yard. They are closed due to cover, not sure on opening. Lots of Campy wrenching happening there.

I live near Kinetics bike, like watt and 50, near the river is nice, the bike trail is a good place to ride