Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
So sad, sorry for your loss. Always tough to have the vet do this, send them on their way but pets are such beautiful, innocent creatures..and they KNOW you love them. And my VET, VERY kind, knowledgable vet...reminded me having the pet sent to the other side, when they are suffering, is a blessing, not a curse..even if it feels that way.
Words of wisdom. Condolences to Coffee. I know the pain from 2012. My Chow girl is now 12 and showing signs of age. Just like me!!
Old 12-07-2021, 03:37 PM

This is hilarious. A good chuckle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 1.36.26 PM.jpg (96.1 KB, 129 views)
Old 12-07-2021, 07:42 PM

This was him on Sunday. He was a Labrador/Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2021, 07:06 AM

What a handsome old boy. Sorry for your loss, I know how tough it is.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post

This was him on Sunday. He was a Labrador/Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

So very sorry.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:39 AM

"We" are so sorry for you. It hurts so much, but six weeks after losing our ten year old Dan......

4:52 AM this morning, 4 days since adoption and the containment fields have failed by 75%. Eight year old Eddy and nine week old Duke.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 452am.jpg (116.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 12-08-2021, 10:39 AM

So sorry for you loss. Parting ways with our companions is never easy. We had to put our 13 year old Mc Nabb down a few weeks ago. I've never cried so much in my life. We knew we had a couple of weeks to mentally prepare, but I don't think that helped too much. Knowing that we would need to make the decision to euthanize him sooner than later really helped us focus on the time we had with him. It forced us to be present in every moment we had with him in that time.

We are beyond grateful with the time we shared. Loss is heartbreaking, and I know he took a piece of our hearts with him when he crossed that rainbow bridge. We wouldn't have it any other way. Once the time is right we can wait to share that love again.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:54 AM

I know everyone deals with grief differently, but as a pet owner I believe we should get another pet soon after a loved one passes. If one is a good owner, then a pet will have a great life with love and also well taken care of. And I hope I can provide a good home for many pets during my lifetime.

I recall a saying (or paraphrase):

To us, they are a short part of our lives. For them, we are their whole life (usually.)
Old 12-08-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
This is hilarious. A good chuckle.
This kitten found us and his amusing antics are a pleasant antidote to our sorrow of losing our dog (even when he knocks things over). It was nice for us that the timing of his discovery was right before we had to let go of Roxy our dog.

Of course my sending this picture around to my relatives for their amusement seemed to get my reputation as a disciplinarian of any worth in trouble. Why was I letting him be on the kitchen counter? My daughter thought she needed to send us her 1 1/2 year old to be on the cat discipline team. He could show me the ropes and not let our new cat's cuteness effect the effort necessary to keep him in line.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:22 PM

I have been through this multiple times and I absolutely believe in getting another dog ASAP. OTOH while debating whether we should get another dog while we still had a 17 year old bichon 5 year old Eric the malti-poo needed to get out of the pound so we adopted him. When the 17 year old went for his last trip to the vet Leslie and I both agreed through our tears that we were very glad not to be going home to a quiet, empty house. Sure enough, there he was at the top of the stairs wagging his whole body in greeting. That helped a lot.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I know everyone deals with grief differently, but as a pet owner I believe we should get another pet soon after a loved one passes. If one is a good owner, then a pet will have a great life with love and also well taken care of. And I hope I can provide a good home for many pets during my lifetime.

I recall a saying (or paraphrase):

To us, they are a short part of our lives. For them, we are their whole life (usually.)
Fortunately, we have another dog of our own and a foster dog, so we are not completely without dogs. I think if we didn't do this, we'd probably be looking to adopt another dog pretty soon.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:39 PM

You have my condolences, and acknowledge your grief should express itself in whatever manner you feel most appropriate. Once at the unexpected demise of a parakeet, I anointed myself in oils and wrestled a wild brown bear in the Bavarian Alps to give outlet to my exhausted spirit.

Death is the ordained end for us all, but it's burden is most deeply felt by the living left in it's wake.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:51 PM

My condolences. We had to put down our 13 yr old yellow lab last year. The Vet was wonderful and my girl kept eating treats right until she took her last breath. Still a very emotional experience and still miss her. Fortunately we have another dog to help fill the void. Nothing worse than coming home to a pet less house.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:13 PM

Ugh, sorry for your loss.

We had a neighbor with a Golden Retriever that we took care of a lot. My wife walked her almost every day after work. Our favorite dog ever. When our neighbor had to put Lucy down, she asked us to join her. I was an Absolute Mess.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:01 PM

Sorry to hear it. I have recently been through the same - a sudden/unexpected loss. 8yo english staffie, my wife noticed she was a bit lethargic and thought a visit to the vet was in order... some blood tests ensued and later on discovered she was riddled with cancer... six hours later she had to be put down. We thought we had many more years ahead.

I couldn't believe the level of grief I went through, it was a very sad time for our family. You (or at least I didn't) don't realise how big a part of your life that a simple dog can become.

Take care of yourself, the sadness doesn't go away but time does heal.

Last edited by jimoots; 12-08-2021 at 07:03 PM.