Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2021, 01:54 PM

Help with diagnosing CK R45 hub sound

I recently purchased a set of pre-owned R45's (carbon) and have been riding for about a week. I noticed these sound a little different from my previous R45's (alloys).

I am planning to get some grease/ck lube to perform a service on my own.

Just curious if folks are familiar with this noise:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qCUb9sLvBojzg23B7

It's sort of sinusoidal and sounds almost like a faint tire rub onto the chain stay or brake track rubbing on pads (if wheels were out of true).

It's definitely coming from the hub and only makes the sound when I am coasting and sitting on the bike. Can't seem to replicate while on the repair stand.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:52 PM

The freewheel noise from my R45 is a bit cyclic as well.

The hub design is so simple - a single moving part. The drive ring floats along a helix and a coil spring keeps the drive ring in contact with the driven ring. The helix forces engagement between the two when pedaling force is applied. Not much to go wrong.

I believe the cyclic freewheel noise is just a result of the floating nature of the drive ring during freewheeling, being free to osculate a bit between the movement of the disengaged driven ring and the pressure of the spring.

Make sure that the hubs are adjusted properly and that the rings have ample lubrication.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
The freewheel noise from my R45 is a bit cyclic as well.

The hub design is so simple - a single moving part. The drive ring floats along a helix and a coil spring keeps the drive ring in contact with the driven ring. The helix forces engagement between the two when pedaling force is applied. Not much to go wrong.

I believe the cyclic freewheel noise is just a result of the floating nature of the drive ring during freewheeling, being free to osculate a bit between the movement of the disengaged driven ring and the pressure of the spring.

Make sure that the hubs are adjusted properly and that the rings have ample lubrication.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a stab at lubing (have to get some oil) and I think I should be able to service the bearings myself (I so the CK BB myself). Will see if there is a difference. I thought maybe it sounded different because my prior set was also r45 , but do not remember sounding like that (the rubbing sound). Could also be that I am on carbon deeper rims as well and they might resonate differently from alloy.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:52 PM

Got in contact with CK they had me try adjusting my pre load. That did it! Noise is gone and also sounds quite a bit quieter in general.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
Got in contact with CK they had me try adjusting my pre load. That did it! Noise is gone and also sounds quite a bit quieter in general.
How did you adjust preload?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol_droid View Post

Follow these steps

https://chrisking.com/blogs/news/loo...oad-adjustment
Old 11-27-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol_droid View Post

There is an adjusting cap that you can tighten. See below video. He demonstrates with an unbuilt hub. Typically you can feel if the preload needs tightening on a built wheel by seeing the rim has side to side play when installed.

https://youtu.be/zNQD5aInW8M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutenbergler View Post
There is an adjusting cap that you can tighten. See below video. He demonstrates with an unbuilt hub. Typically you can feel if the preload needs tightening on a built wheel by seeing the rim has side to side play when installed.

https://youtu.be/zNQD5aInW8M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!