Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: what would you buy?
Garmin Edge 1000 10 24.39%
Garmin Edge 520 Plus 9 21.95%
Wahoo Elemnt 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2018, 08:40 PM

Just want to clarify that the wahoo works if you're out of cell coverage. The couple features that depend on network won't work, such as live tracking, but the computer itself, and the navigation, still function.

Also wahoo has had turn by turn for over a year now. Maybe stop spreading misinformation.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:42 PM
なんでやねん

I just went through this and settled on the new Garmin Edge 130 (I might have gotten the first one in Manitoba). I don't like big head units and the 130 is actually smaller than my old 500. Also it can connect to bluetooth sensors which no other Garmin can. Was considering also Element Bolt but I want to get the Garmin Vector pedals so since those integrate a bit better with Garmin head units I stuck with them. Very happy with the 130, it's small and super light but very nice readable screen. No maps but does have get-home navigation.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:58 PM

Ive had good experiences with old 800 and 810s. Im borrowing a 820 and wow its way worse. Friends have had similar experiences and the few who can afford to switch have really liked Wahoo.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 PM

i really like my garmin, but i'd probably like it more if i'd never had the 705. once they changed the screen, sun glare went thru the roof. still bugs me and will lead me to try something else

personally, i see the rebate as a sign that wahoo will finally update/replace the elemnt. i'm waiting to see what happens thru this year.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:15 PM

I know you've already bought the Garmin, but I thought I'd chime anyway for future reference.
I was in the same boat recently and went with the Wahoo Bolt based on what seemed like tons of people dropping Garmin to go to Wahoo, and being glad they did.
As mentioned above, you don't have to have cell coverage to use the Wahoo, that's just for some features. I bought mine about a month and a half ago for randonneuring and have used it for two 600k rides. I turn my phone off for the almost the whole ride, really just turning it on at longer controls to let my wife know I'm still alive. The turn by turn directions have been very good and battery life has been good. Those were two of the big decision points for me.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:12 PM

Update

thanks for the input. I may still get a Wahoo later. I’m gonna test the 1000 for 3 months and see how it goes. So far, loading routes and courses has been no problem. Thanks to 2 members who mentioned the dynamic watch plug in. Same with the Srava routes, used their connectIQ APP with no problem. Google maps, RWGPS, strava, and garmin map maker all transferred ok.

The only issue I’ve noticed is when using the device and getting a suggested route. The route given is not always bike friendly and has unnecessary turns. This is not that big a deal as I almost always pre plan my routes.

As a side note I found out why this 1000 bundle was so cheap. When I first connected it to the garmin website it did the firmware update including the map. Turns out it updated the Euro basemap, so its a European model. No big deal as I loaded the OpenStreets map for my region on a microSD card. Plus, it will be handy when going to the UK. Is the City Navigator worth getting, is it more detailed and updated then the OpenStreets maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
I know you've already bought the Garmin, but I thought I'd chime anyway for future reference.
I was in the same boat recently and went with the Wahoo Bolt based on what seemed like tons of people dropping Garmin to go to Wahoo, and being glad they did.
As mentioned above, you don't have to have cell coverage to use the Wahoo, that's just for some features. I bought mine about a month and a half ago for randonneuring and have used it for two 600k rides. I turn my phone off for the almost the whole ride, really just turning it on at longer controls to let my wife know I'm still alive. The turn by turn directions have been very good and battery life has been good. Those were two of the big decision points for me.

Tags
1000, edge, garmin, wahoo