Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2020, 04:41 PM
DELETE ACCNT

While it's true the stock 80 and 100 are capable with center diff lock, there is a reason front and rear lockers were a factory stock option.

The 100 went to atrac (as all toyota truck & suv's after the 100)

When it comes to ultimate traction, lockers are simply the best. It can be for rocks or any situation where you want ultimate grip and control.
It's also the best way not to tear up a trail.
People get stuck in pretty simple situations because they twist up the axles and start spinning tires...

Yes, it requires someone that knows what they are doing. However, that goes for any driving skill. But, most will probably appreciate atrac more than lockers if you are doing light duty offroad.

3FE 80 series is SLOW. It's Nairo Quintana in a field sprint with Sagan, Kristoff and Gaviria- SLOW.
But it's a simple, indestructible engine.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
While it's true the stock 80 and 100 are capable with center diff lock, there is a reason front and rear lockers were a factory stock option.

The 100 went to atrac (as all toyota truck & suv's after the 100)

When it comes to ultimate traction, lockers are simply the best. It can be for rocks or any situation where you want ultimate grip and control.
It's also the best way not to tear up a trail.
People get stuck in pretty simple situations because they twist up the axles and start spinning tires...

Yes, it requires someone that knows what they are doing. However, that goes for any driving skill. But, most will probably appreciate atrac more than lockers if you are doing light duty offroad.

3FE 80 series is SLOW. It's Nairo Quintana in a field sprint with Sagan, Kristoff and Gaviria- SLOW.
But it's a simple, indestructible engine.
I like how people complain about the FJ80 being slow but nobody has anything to say about the 60 series which is just as slow if not slower, lol... but yes it’s slow, I personally don’t really care though it gets where it needs to go and the fzj doesn’t seem to be appreciably faster IME.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:34 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Everyone says the 60 is slow.LOL
The 3FE was a carryover from the 62 until the 1fZ.

The 1FZ has way more usable power, and more comfortably delivered. nowadays, importantly it can be built to be reliably fast. It's definitely the preferred motor.
The 1FZ, being the truck twin of the 2JZ, is incredibly stout.

But they are all Land Cruisers, and just finding a good one is hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I like how people complain about the FJ80 being slow but nobody has anything to say about the 60 series which is just as slow if not slower, lol... but yes it’s slow, I personally don’t really care though it gets where it needs to go and the fzj doesn’t seem to be appreciably faster IME.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post

But they are all Land Cruisers, and just finding a good one is hard.
I have what I think is a good one, and I'm thinking of selling it. Red 1978 FJ40...

Yeah, this should probably be in the classifieds, except I'm not active in marketing it right now.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:16 AM

joined to buy some stuff in the classifieds but, I need to wait 30 days and have 30 posts. Figure this is a good place to start. Here's my FJ60 and my Mazda.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Nice! I've always prefered the 60's round headlights over the 62's square ones.

Your other "rig" is no slouch either!

W.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:11 PM
what's a little rust?

Nice!

That shade of blue looks really good on that Mazda.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:31 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Wow you have two classics. Nice collection!
Always loved the tan color on the 60.
Is the RX a LS conversion? or is that a FMIC intake for the turbo

both gorgeous
Old 06-29-2020, 08:50 AM
Framebuilder

FJ Cruiser and 4Runner

FJ Cruisers are built on the Prado platform so I figured they are kosher here. I've had my fair share of Land Cruisers and 4runners as well in the past. Current stable is a 2007 FJ and 2015 4Runner. The FJ is a work in progress but getting there. The 4runner is currently dialed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (144.1 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (155.8 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9356.jpg (106.0 KB, 204 views)
Old 07-01-2020, 04:51 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Nice setups!
I like the 4Runner without the roofrack. Looks clean

I'm really into the newer 4R styling. They did a great job.
FJ community is pretty great. It's a group that attracted a lot of new offroaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
FJ Cruisers are built on the Prado platform so I figured they are kosher here. I've had my fair share of Land Cruisers and 4runners as well in the past. Current stable is a 2007 FJ and 2015 4Runner. The FJ is a work in progress but getting there. The 4runner is currently dialed.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firingsquad View Post
joined to buy some stuff in the classifieds but, I need to wait 30 days and have 30 posts. Figure this is a good place to start. Here's my FJ60 and my Mazda
Hell yeah
I want bronze te37s for my land cruiser eventually
I had them on a Subaru many years ago, best wheels ever !
Old 06-28-2020, 12:24 PM

I searched for quite a while looking for a decent LC in 2013/2014. I wanted either an 80 or 100 series to do some off-roading and camping. Lots of forest roads to explore just outside of Seattle (we’ve since moved). We ended up with a 2008 4Runner. It’s the V8 Limited version with AWD. From what I can tell, it’s the same engine, trans and transfer case as the 100 series, plus we have a 3rd row which has been used a total of 2 times. All of the LC’s I found seemed to have 250k+ miles on them for what I was not ready to pay. Now they’re more expensive! Came across this 4Runner with 50k miles on it that fit our needs perfectly. It now has around 110k miles with a few mild upgrades (suspension, AT tires, rack for roof tent). It does great on-road, off-road and through snow, no trouble getting to Tahoe in the winter. The goal on purchasing was touring National Parks around the west via backcountry discovery routes. Having grown up on the east coast, the idea that you could cross an entire state on dirt roads blew my mind. Gorgeous out there! We (me, wife & 2 dogs) drove around on dirt roads in 2016 for a month, visited 11 national parks and covered 6000 miles. The truck was flawless. Every now and then I still consider an LC, but my wife is now attached to the 4Runner and I really appreciate having the rear window roll down. Anyway, love the Land Cruisers, but if you’re looking for something close, 4Runners are pretty good too. Unfortunate they no longer come with V8’s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BB835BC8-0150-47A6-8974-947D73A740AD.jpeg (35.3 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpeg 6A98F4C7-EA7B-423E-85BD-DD9C29B771BB.jpeg (41.4 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpeg 774B8D72-BC5C-4644-843D-4162CF06EE36.jpeg (42.8 KB, 242 views)
Old 06-28-2020, 02:03 PM

Looking for some collective wisdom...
I'd like to take my 15 year old son out to Colorado to fish and mountain bike for a few weeks later this summer. We have friends all over the State and it would be a good opportunity to see them and spend some time with him. I'm thinking about outfitting my 2001 Land Cruiser for camping. Some kind of lockers / slide out in the back and a roof top tent. We'd be parking and camping on BLM land in-between friend visits. We'd be starting at home in Vermont.

I first thought of buying a used Sprinter and doing a VERY basic fit-up with some cots or fold down bunk beds and a fridge, maybe some solar panels, etc. Then I thought, wait I have a Land Cruiser - this may be perfect! So - has anyone spent time camping in / on a Land Cruiser and if so, are there tents more suited to two separate sleeping areas (I'm sure he doesn't want to share a twin bed or a two person tent with me)? Is there enough room in a Cruiser for bikes, fly rods (I would get a roof rod rack) and gear? Maybe a bed on top of the slide out storage?
Old 06-28-2020, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the I8mud forum. Lots of threads there on LC's, tents, etc
Old 06-29-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Look at the I8mud forum. Lots of threads there on LC's, tents, etc
To help out, you missed an "h" - it is Ih8mud.com.