Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2020, 10:46 AM

Future looking good!

Ranking Europe's Top Clubs Only Using Players 25 and Under
Old 05-16-2020, 11:12 AM

Lads, it's back on!

Unfortunately, I completely missed the good parts of it, having woken up way after BvB put four past Schalke. Mercifully, Schalke didn't respond like it did two years ago, by scoring four unanswered to settle the final score four apiece.

Hope you all get to enjoy the first real weekend of football in two months. I'm somewhat conflicted about all this, as I've gotten way more productive at work (I have been teleworking for four years).
Old 05-27-2020, 12:43 PM

Congrats Bayern fans, that should be the Meisterschale then, for the eighth year straight. What a delightfully insouciant chip.

Someone said elsewhere that if Pep could clone one player, it would probably by Kimmich. I'd agree. Plays almost anywhere along the back line (well, at least in Pep's crazy head Kimmich can play CB), plays DM and perhaps box-to-box as well.

I guess that also means I won't have much to watch. Doubt BVB would sink all the way down to fifth, but man, it's somewhat frustrating to watch.

Now let's see if Juve can keep Bayern at an arm's length in the competition of longest league win streaks by winning a ninth straight scudetto...
Old 05-27-2020, 01:56 PM
Strong Walker

My buddies at red Cafe were in a Rollercoaster ride: from "yay finally football again even if it's only German" to "hey these matches are actually fun" to "great now they ruined it" in two weeks

Unfortunately, BVB suffers from Favreism, still a masterclass in Gegenpressing 2.0. Left fullback David Alaba, who actually is a central midfielder, is currently the most valuable CB in Europe and Alphonso Davies the most exciting talent.

Bayern Leipzig will still be a fun match.

Last edited by martl; 05-27-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
My buddies at red Cafe were in a Rollercoaster ride: from "yay finally football again even if it's only German" to "hey these matches are actually fun" to "great now they ruined it" in two weeks

Unfortunately, BVB suffers from Favreism, still a masterclass in Gegenpressing 2.0. Left fullback David Alaba, who actually is a central midfielder, is currently the most valuable CB in Europe and Alphonso Davies the most exciting talent.

Bayern Leipzig will still be a fun match.
True on FCB vs Leipzig. I’ll be watching and hoping it’ll be better than the draw last time

Also, surely VVD is the most valuable defender (if not Trent AA)?

And i presume the Pokal is still on?

As for BVB, so much promise (remember the Super Cup?); that seemed so long ago
Old 05-27-2020, 03:08 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Also, surely VVD is the most valuable defender (if not Trent AA)?
Valid options but I stand to my opinion. Bayern's defense was always vulnerable the last decade which was less a question of individual quality but due to the sometimes insanely high pressing which created lots of open space. With Alaba in command, that has vanished, I think we received like 2 goals from open play since he bosses the CB position, even without Süle and Hernandez. He has the robustness of the defender paired with the speed and technical ability of a winger and the mind of a CM.

Quote:
And i presume the Pokal is still on?
It hasn't been canceled but I haven't seen a schedule yet, think plans are to move it to later that year which will create interesting problems as player contracts due this season all end on 31/7 or was it 1/7

Quote:
As for BVB, so much promise (remember the Super Cup?); that seemed so long ago
Seems this is what Favre does, create excellent teams that in the end bottle it

Last edited by martl; 05-27-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:34 AM

For spectators of English football (specifically, EPL), it's coming back, it's coming back, football is coming back

As mentioned upthread, I'm not a LFC supporter and don't claim to be one, but it would be nice to see them seal it. Other than that, I'm not sure how many games I'll actually watch. Matches between top-six teams, of course, but I really can't be arsed with watching a lot of the other matches. The best ones are when the minnows stand up to the likes of City and LFC, as it brings out a certain level of energy not seen in other types of matches.

And of course, the return of MOTD is nice. I'm about to run out of material to watch when I do my strength routine.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:49 PM

Champions League to continue

Lisbon Set To Host Champions League Mini-Tournament From Quarter Final Onwards
Old 06-08-2020, 02:55 PM

That would be interesting...

Your team has a more than decent chance this year. Same could be said of Pep's team
Old 06-08-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Your team has a more than decent chance this year. Same could be said of Pep's team
Guess you're right...
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...QMZgBHvo-KwnvI
Old 06-08-2020, 06:19 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
A fan likes to see things like that but there are question marks. The BLs flagship start will mean the tournament will take place at a time when FCB will have a month without competitive match. On equal play fitness terms, I'd say bring them on but a match fit Pool or Real will be a tough nut to crack.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
A fan likes to see things like that but there are question marks. The BLs flagship start will mean the tournament will take place at a time when FCB will have a month without competitive match. On equal play fitness terms, I'd say bring them on but a match fit Pool or Real will be a tough nut to crack.
Man, Kloppo must have really be living rent free in the head of Bayern fans (I guess getting beat 0-3 at home does that), if you are still concerned about LFC in the 2019-2020 Champions League.

No worries though, Simeone did everyone else left a solid by knocking at LFC (to my chagrin, I should say)
Old 06-09-2020, 04:52 AM
Strong Walker

Oopsies nah just have them down as the best side in Europe currently in the back of my mind, completely forgot they're already out. Actually had to look up when that 0:3 mishap happened... Nah if there was a traumatizing event it was that stupid cup final defeat. We beat them with 3 or more goals diff a lot of times in the past 15 years, at least 7-8 times I think

Last edited by martl; 06-09-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:49 PM

Congrats to Bayern fans here. Might as well add Bayern and Juve as league champions to death and taxes as the only unavoidable facts of life.

Also, David Luiz picked up exactly where he left off: by entertaining us with his gaffes...

Also, congrats wc1934 on the Coppa!

Last edited by echappist; 06-17-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:15 PM

and Captain America scores against City, doing a solid favor to his old boss in the process.