Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 12:49 PM

Ti 29er SS framemaker suggestions

I'm mulling over getting a ti 29er frame that can be run both geared or single speed for primarily XC type riding. Looking for modern geometry, internal dropper compatible, max tire size probably 2.5, boost spacing, and a 120-130mm fork is most likely what I'd use. Sliding/Rocker dropouts are preferred, unless there is an eccentric BB of some sort.

I'm not looking for anything high end at the moment... maybe later if it turns out to be something I really enjoy. Lynskey, Carver come to mind off the bat... any others I should check into? Doesn't need to be US made, just decent quality and something I can have some fun with.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:53 PM

Binary SuperB would be the first I'd look at. https://binarybicycles.com/product/s...ium-mtb-frame/

They have a few other models if you want different geometry.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:57 PM

Here is what I came up with. A Russian "Titanium Red" set up as a SS. BTW seat is at the right angle. In the photo, the rear tire is sitting 2 inches higher than the front.

IMG_0355r by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 03-05-2024, 01:18 PM
Go Sox!

Pm’d you
Old 03-05-2024, 01:35 PM
Meh

Neuhaus Metalworks Hummingbird Ti. All Ti Hummingbirds are built with sliding dropouts which enable SS as well as geared setups, including with UDH if desired.

https://www.neuhausmetalworks.com/store/p/hummingbird

Nothing but great things to say about Nick. Turnaround times are short.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:46 PM

Esker Japhy in ti might work, though I think it's a bit more than the Lynskey and Carver offerings.

One thing to watch - some of the frames are listed as 120 or 130 (or even broader travel range) - be sure you know which fork was used in the published geo chart.

Personally, I'd stick with 120mm and run a Fox 34SC or SID Ultimate. Both are a bit lighter than the 130mm options from either brand.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:57 PM

Chumba's lineup sounds like exactly what you're looking for

https://chumbausa.com/made-in-usa-mountain-bikes
Old 03-05-2024, 01:58 PM
n - 1

I’ve been riding a Vassago Optimus Ti for 4 years now. I have no plans to retire it anytime soon. It’s by far the best hardtail I’ve had (including a custom).

I have two wheelsets. One is a BTLOS carbon XC wheelset. 2.4-2.6” tires. Set up singlespeed.
Second wheelset is for burlier trails (Moab). 40mm rims, 29x3.0” tires. Set up both SS and geared.

I swap back and forth with an ENVE Mtn fork and SID Ult 120mm.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:51 PM

If you aren't looking for high end, I would suggest taking a look at Vassago. I have a Vassago Optimus Ti (older version) and it has been very reliable with a nice ride quality. The newer version has more modern geometry and details (dropper routing). Think I got it in 2016. I used it as a single speed 99% of the time. No unwanted flex in the frame but still rides nicely. I added a steel Chumba Sendero to the quiver and it is now my main single speed. Also, a very nice bike and Chumba makes a Ti version but it's like $4K for the frame. My Vassago now has gears and handles dirt-crit racing duty.

Carver is another reasonably priced option but I've never ridden one.

Hope this is helpful.
Pete
Old 03-05-2024, 03:12 PM

Turner Nitrous is another option.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:50 PM

Salsa Timberjack Ti also fits this description nicely.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:25 PM

Ti hardtail with single speed or derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I'm mulling over getting a ti 29er frame that can be run both geared or single speed for primarily XC type riding. Looking for modern geometry, internal dropper compatible, max tire size probably 2.5, boost spacing, and a 120-130mm fork is most likely what I'd use. Sliding/Rocker dropouts are preferred, unless there is an eccentric BB of some sort.

I'm not looking for anything high end at the moment... maybe later if it turns out to be something I really enjoy. Lynskey, Carver come to mind off the bat... any others I should check into? Doesn't need to be US made, just decent quality and something I can have some fun with.
We got them (I'm from Habanero); we can equip a thru axle bike with a single speed (I have not found a boost fixie hub) which works with a standard BSA or T47 bottom bracket (so thru axles' work fine). It's post mount disc by default (we do IS by custom). I'm not sure how to post a picture here but glad to send you some if you PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:46 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavistaa View Post
We got them (I'm from Habanero); we can equip a thru axle bike with a single speed (I have not found a boost fixie hub) which works with a standard BSA or T47 bottom bracket (so thru axles' work fine). It's post mount disc by default (we do IS by custom). I'm not sure how to post a picture here but glad to send you some if you PM.
Did you mean fixie or singlespeed? Several SS hubs available. Onyx, Paul, etc. I just use a regular DT hub with HG freehub, cog and spacers.

If you really meant a fixie cog. Can you run a 6-bolt cog? Not sure what the chainline is on boost hubs on the disc side. I’ve used this on 135/142 hubs. I figure with a direct mount chainring, you could play with the chainline a little using different offsets.

https://velosolo.co.uk/shopdisc.html
Old 03-09-2024, 08:37 AM

While we’re talking ti hardtails… what “should” one weight (frame)? Just looking at pre-fab options and weights seem to be all over, with the Esker Japhy at 2100g on the high end (and maybe not much lighter than a lightweight steel frame)? Obv going to vary a bit with size and dropout design etc.

Just thinking about next bike for myself.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:42 PM

I have looked at these Ti frame from China for about two years now because I was interested in owning one . I have found that the Ti chinese options (Esker, Binary, Vassago, RSD, Ribble, Sonder, Revel, Stanton, Kingdom, Turner, Curve, Nordest, On One, Pipedream, Chromag, Bearclaw etc.) are on the much heavier end of the spectrum. I think they range from 2100 g to 2300 g (for the Revel Ti El Jefe). I do not blame the companies for making the bikes heavy as they are not XC oriented but towards the trail end of the spectrum with 140 - 150 mm suspension in some cases. Also, they are trying to minimize frames breaking by making them burly. This is understandable. Also, I got the chance to ride a Ti Kingdom Vendetta and it rode wonderfully.

What I find odd is their pricing. Many of these Chinese Ti options are sold for $2500 for the frame. Yes, there is US customer support for the price. And yes, they seem a bargain compared to a Moots Womble (frame for $4600), but they are certainly not competitive (at least in my mind) for a Ti frame from DeSalvo ($3150). I think Alliance Ti MTB frame is similar in price. But as I said, the Kingdom rode very nice. If it were lighter by 300 g would it ride nicer. Probably. And at least for my weight.