Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 06:15 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
That's still the best looking bike on the internet.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
That's still the best looking bike on the internet.
Well thanks. Nick builds a great bike, no doubt about that.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloozoe View Post
Ha! If things like the Look 585, Colnago C50, Parlee Z1,Time VXR, Trek Madone, etc. are relics, then what I currently ride must be a penny-farthing. It's evidently something of a miracle that I can go out for a ride in July and get back home again before the snow falls.

Just curious...how old are you? Fourteen?
You asked for recommendations for a contemporary frame. (Contemporary - belonging to or occurring in the present.)

So no, I don't consider a bike frame that hasn't been produced since before 2010 a contemporary frame. Not all are relics, but definitely carbon from a prior era. I also said they are nice bikes, but not contemporary.

By the way, I am 44. That is why I know what contemporary means. If you just want a carbon frame, say that.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
You asked for recommendations for a contemporary frame. (Contemporary - belonging to or occurring in the present.)

So no, I don't consider a bike frame that hasn't been produced since before 2010 a contemporary frame. Not all are relics, but definitely carbon from a prior era. I also said they are nice bikes, but not contemporary.

By the way, I am 44. That is why I know what contemporary means. If you just want a carbon frame, say that.
Lol. Guess you told me! Definition/common connotation of the word "contemporary" is not quite as precise, cut-and-dried as you insist, but that's moot; had you read/comprehended the post, the point was clear enough. And I WAS asking about current frames, but many people replied to the effect that there were precious few and made some alternative suggestions among rlatively recent designs. Such suggestions were appreciated. Then you chimed in and insulted them and their bikes; relics, eh? Not to mention your general tone which left much to he desired.

So even granting your contention that I could have chosen a better word for the title line, I only replied the way I did owing to your arrogant, churlish manner.

BTW, I'm old enough to be your father, so show some respect for your elders, you young whipper-snapper.

Last edited by Cloozoe; 12-06-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Lol. Guess you told me! BTW, I'm old enough to be your father, so show some respect for your elders, sonny.
for what it's worth, i agree with Kona. I read your original post as looking for a modern, current production frame with your desired list of features. if what you are looking for is just a carbon bike with those features - that's a different story.

in one case - you are looking for a new bike you can buy today with those features, in the other case, you are scouring the used market for decade+ old used frames that meet your criteria.

while the C50, Look 585, etc are excellent bikes, they are not modern, contemporary bikes.

there is no need to be snarky.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
for what it's worth, i agree with Kona. I read your original post as looking for a modern, current production frame with your desired list of features. if what you are looking for is just a carbon bike with those features - that's a different story.

in one case - you are looking for a new bike you can buy today with those features, in the other case, you are scouring the used market for decade+ old used frames that meet your criteria.

while the C50, Look 585, etc are excellent bikes, they are not modern, contemporary bikes.

there is no need to be snarky.
Angry: see edited post above yours. And, alas, snarky is my middle name when provoked. I'll attempt to get a grip on the predilection out of respect for the board.

Cheers
Old 12-06-2018, 11:09 AM

I think you would really like a Festka Classic One.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I think you would really like a Festka Classic One.
so would i
Old 12-06-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Well thanks. Nick builds a great bike, no doubt about that.
Your proportions (stem, drop, HT) are perfect on this one, and so is the build...it just doesn't get better than that era of Campy, including them wheels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Administrator

just posted this on the PSA thread, but it belongs here too. what a beauty eh?

Old 12-06-2018, 07:13 PM

Indeed! Always been a sucker for that Molteni orange, but that's especially nice.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Indeed! Always been a sucker for that Molteni orange, but that's especially nice.
i keep coming back to look at it. it's just about perfect. i cant even think of an area for improvement, other than it is not my size!
Old 12-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i keep coming back to look at it. it's just about perfect. i cant even think of an area for improvement, other than it is not my size!
ok ok, his bar wrap job is amateur, and i could do without the colored cable housings. other than that, A+.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 PM

I'm gathering from this interesting thread that:
A) OP could go custom route to fulfill requirements
B) Could go for the tried and trusted though maybe not contemporary if one wants to quibble, such as Look 585, Colnago C40/C50/EP
C) I need to carefully ration my visits to PL. The Crumpton, Fesktas, Molteni EP make my head spin. I can hear my Master, C40 and C59 murmuring amongst themselves, uh oh, we're going on the classifieds soon....not EBay Please!
D) For OP, either of A or B would be excellent options, depending upon how much you want to pay to assuage your itch. I think Clean has a very valid point in noting the quality of modern steel. And I will always have one steel bike in my stable. But, you really should try one of the carbon bikes mentioned in this thread.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:01 PM

Merckx