Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 08:41 PM

I find full synchro fine mountain biking (xtr di2), but highly annoying on the road - go figure.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:13 PM
Deconditioned!

I also have GRX on a bike and am enjoying it. I will admit, while an admitted lover of eTap, Di2 is dang good (quick, quiet) shifting.

I tried the different modes. While nifty, I went back to full manual. I do think that the rear shifting a few cogs is good. As has been mentioned, sometimes though you don't need/want the rear shift so you end up undoing the system shifts.

You can specify the number of cogs you want shifted too. In addition, you can also choose a different number of cogs depending on shifting big-small or small-big.

I went and had mine mimic eTap. The right lever does all the up shifting, the left lever does all the downshifting. So go figure.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:31 AM

I don't particularly like either mode.

When I shift the front derailleur manually, I generally shift a couple of cogs in the rear first, which helps keep my cadence steady.

With syncro, the rear cog shifts after the front, which means that there's a split second where your cadence jumps 5 to 10 rpm either up or down depending on whether you are going from big to small or small to big in the front. Me no likey.

I also like to try to keep my chain in the middle 5 rings of the rear cog as much as possible as it's more efficient, which is only possible with manual mode.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:45 AM
Shifty Member

Haven't tried full synchro, but like the partial with the couple cog shifting in the rear when I do the front. Find it's great for all the drumlin riding here just outside Boston.

Also, got the sprint shifters and love them. Can reach them from the drops and the hoods. Completely unnecessary, but just having that other option for shifting is fantastic.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
D had me set his up for snychro and adjust the number of cogs at the crossover. I hear it when the shift happens and while it works, I can't imagine using it. The shifts are so easy and quick I'd rather decide when/if I want to change rings up front. Although it's been awhile since I've been in hilly enough terrain to be doing that frequently.

On the plus side, with synchro it's still making the multiple cog changes but it does get it there w/o the accidental one too many cogs that can happen. With a Garmin screen setup you can set a field for to be an alert that the next shift will be the ring shift. As a couple others have noted, you can toggle through the three modes. The default setups for semi and full are logical.

On full synchro, I still do the front when I want if it is different than what the brain battery will do...for instance when approaching the crest of a hill I will hit the left shifter up to make the front jump to the big ring. In that way I don’t run through the gears and am instantly in the combo I want.

Love full synchro because it is in a way it is like a 1x but you can also override the system by using your buttons to run like you do by controlling front like a 2x in hilly terrain. On flatter or rolling I just let it do its thing. I know I have gotten lazy in my old age.

Sorry if that needs two readings to make sense...pre-coffee posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2020, 11:12 AM

Full Synchro on my Evergreen and I'm a fan. Customized the shift points to my preferences. My Garmin indicates what gear I'm in and alerts if the next shift involves a chainring. Further, programming each lever to shift either direction can be helpful in a situation as described earlier by gone. Lastly, buttons on the tops of the hoods cycle through Garmin screens.

Last edited by genefruit; 07-08-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I also have GRX on a bike and am enjoying it. I will admit, while an admitted lover of eTap, Di2 is dang good (quick, quiet) shifting.

I tried the different modes. While nifty, I went back to full manual. I do think that the rear shifting a few cogs is good. As has been mentioned, sometimes though you don't need/want the rear shift so you end up undoing the system shifts.

You can specify the number of cogs you want shifted too. In addition, you can also choose a different number of cogs depending on shifting big-small or small-big.

I went and had mine mimic eTap. The right lever does all the up shifting, the left lever does all the downshifting. So go figure.
So, how is the shift logic compared to eTap? Does Di2 perform comparably, you think? Is one system noticeably faster?

My general thought is that a lot of us here have probably had mechanical shifting for decades, so maybe a number of us can't see a huge benefit to synchro/eTap style shifting. I'm somewhat on the fence. I could see the advantage of not having to think about how I want to shift when I'm extremely tired and I'm on rough terrain. It's sort of moot right now, because my Di2 battery doesn't support Synchro.

Last edited by weiwentg; 07-08-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
<snip>

My general thought is that a lot of us here have probably had mechanical shifting for decades, so maybe a number of us can't see a huge benefit to synchro/eTap style shifting.<snip>
Ummm, after almost a half a century of mechanical shifting and having tried eTap and Di2 and EPS I really can see a difference and will never use anything but Di2 again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2020, 02:16 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
On full synchro, I still do the front when I want if it is different than what the brain battery will do...for instance when approaching the crest of a hill I will hit the left shifter up to make the front jump to the big ring. In that way I don’t run through the gears and am instantly in the combo I want.

Love full synchro because it is in a way it is like a 1x but you can also override the system by using your buttons to run like you do by controlling front like a 2x in hilly terrain. On flatter or rolling I just let it do its thing. I know I have gotten lazy in my old age.
I may give that a go and can always swap to manual, etc. easy enough.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:27 PM

Just bought a Scott addict rc with Di2 shifting and after riding mechanical the past 20yrs. am a BIG Fan. As with most new electronic type devices I am worried about battery life, (a couple a guys in the our group have had battery's go dead). So needing a new garmin anyway I would like to have the battery life displayed on the garmin readout using the shimano wireless unit EW-WU 111. Has anyone here installed one just for this purpose? Thanks all.