Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
No, nobody advocated for it, just against it.
IE common sense not to use a threaded steerer with a threadless stem regardless. What that's point?
I'll take the time to spell it out for you. The point is to have a 1" threadless fork on the bike. 1" threadless forks are far less plentiful than 1" threaded forks.

If you're able to find a threaded fork that with a steerer that is ~50mm longer than your current threaded fork's steerer you cut the threaded portion off, install a star nut, and install it on the bike with the threadless headset. It's not rocket surgery and there is nothing magical about a fork steer tube.

Why you feel like this is somehow dangerous I do not understand.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I'll take the time to spell it out for you.
How cavalier of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
The point is to have a 1" threadless fork on the bike. 1" threadless forks are far less plentiful than 1" threaded forks.

If you're able to find a threaded fork that with a steerer that is ~50mm longer than your current threaded fork's steerer you cut the threaded portion off, install a star nut, and install it on the bike with the threadless headset. It's not rocket surgery and there is nothing magical about a fork steer tube.

Why you feel like this is somehow dangerous I do not understand.
As already stated I was responding specifically to posts #19, #20, #21 in this thread, wherein the topic of *clamping a threadless stem onto the threaded portion of a threaded steerer* was initially broached/discussed pro/con, and not by me, OK?

What someone else does/risks with their stuff is not my province, but that *specific practice* is in fact potentially dangerous and I think it OK to point out potentially dangerous practice. That's all. Did you lecture David Kirk when he correctly and judiciously warned against crimping one's seatstays in that manner recently, etc?

Whatever hypotheticals have been applied by yourself further on, regarding "If you're able to find...", etc., are not the issue that was broached and that I thought helpful to reply to. If the op finds a mint threaded fork that fits all those criteria and decides to use it after cutting the threaded portion off or, alternatively, buys a brand spanking new 1" WoundUp for threadless, or some custom fork, bully for him, either way. NOT what I was addressing, either way.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 06-23-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
No, nobody advocated for it, just against it.
IE common sense not to use a threaded steerer with a threadless stem regardless. What that's point?:
No, it is not always common sense. At least not for these two cases:

There have been cases where someone needed a threadless fork but didn't have one, but instead had a threaded fork with an extra long steerer. In that case, they cut the steerer down to size (cutting off the threaded section), and used it as a threadless fork.

There have also been cases where someone had a threadless fork that was a little too short for their frame, but the steerer tube was thicker enough to be threaded. In those cases, threads were cut on the steerer and a threaded headset was used.

Both cases were done in common practice, and safely. I personally had the 2nd case, when I was buying a frame/fork from a shop, and the shop mechanic cut the threadless steerer a little too short. To rectify the situation, they threaded the steerer and a threaded headset and quill stem was used. I've still got that bike, some 25 years later, and the steerer hasn't broken yet.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:58 PM

Back the original question: I've always pressed in both cups simultaneously, and here's why:

Cups should be pressed in straight, so the press tool needs to be aligned with the head tube. My press tools came with bushings that closely fit the cups, so that the press is aligned with the cup. But the press don't didn't come with a bushing to align the other end of the tool with the open head tube. So, by pressing both cups at the sae time, I use bushings on both ends to keep the press tool aligned with both cups (and the head tube).
Old 06-23-2020, 08:01 PM

I'm probably going to get the pitchforks and torches for this one...

The last 3 headsets I installed i did with my big bench vise. The reason was simple... I cant find my freaking headset press!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post

The last 3 headsets I installed i did with my big bench vise. The reason was simple... I cant find my freaking headset press!

I’ll top your vise...I’ve only used a big rubber mallet...works great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post

Ha. You either ride small frames or have one big vise.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:12 PM

It's a pretty good size vise. I ride 56 and some of them have longish head tubes.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:31 PM

If you have proper size drifts, a good quality bench vise is a near perfect alternative to a specialized commercial headset press.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I’ll top your vise...I’ve only used a big rubber mallet...works great!!
Well gee... there I was frettin' about how to use the dang headset press properly.
Heck, all the pressure's off now, just use a big rubber mallet.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:51 PM

I thought about using a wooden mallet before realizing that my vise might be big enough. When I realized it was I was surprised just how well it worked. The size of the jaws made for easy alignment and soft jaw inserts kept things neat.

Sometimes you get lucky.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
Well gee... there I was frettin' about how to use the dang headset press properly.
Heck, all the pressure's off now, just use a big rubber mallet.

Sounds very rudimentary...but very effective.

I use a punch for the crown race to tap it in place, and the rubber mallet on the cups.
Works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2020, 03:17 PM

1" Threaded to 1 1/8" Threadless Conversion Headset Full Installation

Somewhat related to the original topic (1" threaded fork and headset to a 1" threadless fork and headset) this is a good video, albeit 1" to 1 1/8".
(If the person who made the video is a member here: bravo, very well done.)

I am not familiar with the "innicycle" product, but the solution looks sound for those with 1" threaded forks who need to add more height to the steerer.

innicycle 1" Threaded to 1 1/8" Threadless Conversion Headset Full Installation

He installs 1 cup at a time, fwiw.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
(If the person who made the video is a member here: bravo, very well done.)
Popping over from Bikeforums to say hello.

If you are looking for the guy who filmed and edited the video, that would be my friend Brett at https://onelightimaging.com/

The mechanic is Rob Garrison of https://garrisonscyclery.com/

The guy behind the design of the innicycle headset would be me.

Any other questions? :-)