Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 04:54 PM

Hubs that take 1X to another level?

Not a ton of info just yet but curiosity sparked.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...-debate-459020
Old 07-07-2020, 07:14 AM

Intrigued. I like the concept.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:53 AM

Sounds cool
Old 07-07-2020, 11:29 AM

It's already been done - and one better

In the bicycle world, it seems that anything worth inventing is worth re-inventing. So it should come as no surprise that there have already been a single chainring derailleur systems with multi-speed rear hubs. Only, most of these used a 3 speed hub, not just a two speed hub (that's the "one better" part).

Just a few years ago, SRAM had their DualDrive system:

Currently, Sturmey-Archer has their CS-RK3 internal gear cassette hub:

The only new features on this new hub are the wireless shifting, and the interchangeable hub internals. Wireless shifting is an interesting new angle, but the interchangeable internals seems problematic. Only Classified Cyclings hubs will work, obviously, which limits the range of wheels which would be available.

I also have serious doubts about the ability the ability of the Classified Cycling 2 speed hub to work with through-axle frames. Unlike derailleur or single speed hubs, internal gear hubs exert a torque on the dropouts. Other multi-gear hubs handle the torque transfer to the frame either by using a torque arm attached to the stay, or by using an an axle with flats that engages with a slotted drop-out (the SRAM and Sturmey-Archer hubs use the second method). Through axles pretty much must be round, and I don't see a torque arm on the Classified Cycling hub, so how do they transfer the hub torque? Only through friction on he dropout?
Old 07-07-2020, 09:38 PM

I'd be happy with a hub that just has a high/low setting... and keeping a reasonably tightly spaced cassette at the back.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
In the bicycle world, it seems that anything worth inventing is worth re-inventing. So it should come as no surprise that there have already been a single chainring derailleur systems with multi-speed rear hubs.
I would bet that Sheldon Brown was the first to do this.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Mark-
Quote:
In the bicycle world, it seems that anything worth inventing is worth re-inventing.
Ain't it the truth..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eurobike-2018-Tout-Terrain-02.jpg (31.6 KB, 383 views)
Old 07-08-2020, 07:27 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I would bet that Sheldon Brown was the first to do this.
This is an old idea, predating Sheldon. It's amazing how many new ideas in cycling are actually 100 years old.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
This is an old idea, predating Sheldon. It's amazing how many new ideas in cycling are actually 100 years old.
I stand corrected. But I guess not surprising. This happens in other arenas as well. Reminds me of Stigler's Law of Eponymy- no scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer- a law that applies to Stigler's Law itself.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:25 AM
Randomhead

With bicycle inventions, it's almost a given that nothing is new. My favorite example was the people that reinvented the Cinelli bivalent system, which actually had been done before Cinelli. For some reason, it merited a whole chapter in the C.O.N.I book. But in the last decade or so, it has been independently reinvented by 2 different people.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:44 AM

It is true that it is not a new idea, but sometimes you can really transform an idea through refinement. I used that SRAM dual drive in the past, it shifted slow, it didn't shift well under pressure, it was heavy, it used junky plastic bits to actuate the shifter rod.

If they can clean up these problems it could be a nice addition to a bicycle.

I share your concern about the torque transfer to the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
In the bicycle world, it seems that anything worth inventing is worth re-inventing. So it should come as no surprise that there have already been a single chainring derailleur systems with multi-speed rear hubs. Only, most of these used a 3 speed hub, not just a two speed hub (that's the "one better" part).

Just a few years ago, SRAM had their DualDrive system:

Currently, Sturmey-Archer has their CS-RK3 internal gear cassette hub:

The only new features on this new hub are the wireless shifting, and the interchangeable hub internals. Wireless shifting is an interesting new angle, but the interchangeable internals seems problematic. Only Classified Cyclings hubs will work, obviously, which limits the range of wheels which would be available.

I also have serious doubts about the ability the ability of the Classified Cycling 2 speed hub to work with through-axle frames. Unlike derailleur or single speed hubs, internal gear hubs exert a torque on the dropouts. Other multi-gear hubs handle the torque transfer to the frame either by using a torque arm attached to the stay, or by using an an axle with flats that engages with a slotted drop-out (the SRAM and Sturmey-Archer hubs use the second method). Through axles pretty much must be round, and I don't see a torque arm on the Classified Cycling hub, so how do they transfer the hub torque? Only through friction on he dropout?
Old 08-16-2020, 11:35 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

My SS is officially a 2 speed with s SRAM Automatix hub wheel I built.

So with 55 and 78 gear inches that shift up at about 13 MPH, all the starts from a stop and actual ability to do inclines, my old knees thanked me. Or rather they stopped screaming bloody murder after rides with 100 stops or climbs @ 80 GI.

I don't know if these hubs can be had unless you find some NOS laying about.

Current iteration:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moleini_SRAM-Automatix.jpg (107.3 KB, 316 views)
Old 08-16-2020, 11:43 AM

60's Schwinn Kick Back
Old 08-16-2020, 11:55 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I was looking for a kickback to use before I found the Automatix. It made it more simple on a few fronts. Spacing adjust-ability with included parts, actually new so no fatigued condition to deal with.

The biggest issue was taking it apart to tweek the spring so it did not shift @ 6 MPH. And it was not a big deal.

I opted for the steel one that was 68.00 shipped. They also made an Aluminum one that was over 2x price. I opted for cheap to see if I'd like it. I like it.

These are all stupid heavy, be warned. The bike only lost 70 grams in the end removing a lot if parts from 11s.

I think the steel one before cog and cir-clip and nuts/washers was 1135 grams. IIRC the alloy one was under 800 grams.

I once set up a 9 speed Dura Ace RD locked into one position on a track wheel/cog, and a double chainset/FD up front with a bar con to shift the front. It was a lot lighter frankly. Look as cool, no. Same approx 30 GI split easy to attain.

Some fuel for thought...
Old 08-16-2020, 12:15 PM

I had a great idea! How about a 2x up front and 10 sp in the back working perfectly??