Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2024, 11:47 AM

I've been maybe unnecessarily scared to dry tpu or latex since I run alu rims and rim brakes on all my bikes
Old 02-06-2024, 11:51 AM
Forward the Foundation

BRR has several tube comparos.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...pu-inner-tubes
Old 02-06-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
My trick to patching latex tubes is to cut patches from an old latex tube. Using standard patching kit glue… works very well.
I have had no problem patching latex with standard Rema patches.
It is very rare I get a flat, can't even remember the last time.
I use the Vittoria latex tubes. I do have to pump them up every ride but use an air compressor so no big deal. TPU are lighter and I am tempted to try them but have no reason as long as my latex tubes keep going.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:05 PM

I've tried them both. The TPU work and ride just fine. I do use Vittoria latex tubes in several bikes. I do have to pump them up daily. I think the ride is slightly better than the TPU, only slightly.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:40 PM

I went from butyl to latex to TPU and back to latex. the main reason was the fragility of the TPU as compared to the other tubes. I tried both turbolito and pirelli tubes and had issues with both flatting or being easily damaged during install. I also found TPUs to be much more susceptible to pinch flats if pressure was not perfect.

I am back to either silca latex or vittoria latex tubes.

I ride with alloy rims and rim brakes and have no issues.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:42 PM

When switching to TPU tubes, have any of you found it necessary to run higher PSI than you would with butyl or latex?
Old 02-06-2024, 01:23 PM

I've had good success using TPU as a spare tube in my saddle bag. Very light, takes up no space, but haven't actually put on in yet, as my tubeless system hasn't failed me yet.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:43 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr steel View Post
I've been maybe unnecessarily scared to dry tpu or latex since I run alu rims and rim brakes on all my bikes
I run latex on all my rim-brake bikes, with alloy and carbon rims.

I'm still here.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:43 PM

When I tried TPU, Cyclami versions, I clipped a small rock in the road and suffered an instant blowout. I was going down a steep hill and I still can't believe I stayed up. Put in the spare TPU and that also flatted after a mile or so, also losing air instantly, due to a wee hole in the sidewall caused by the rock.

For now, I am back on butyl and keep 2 spare TPUs in the saddle bag. Not sure if my experience is normal but punctures on butyl have never been instant....there was always a softening of the tire to let me know. I have read elsewhere that TPU loose air rapidly and was wondering what experiences others have had. Also, the high incidence of new tubes having valve issues gives me pause.

Tim
Old 02-06-2024, 02:11 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

FWIW, there seem to be many light and lighter ga. Even super light for disc brake only.

I stick with ones like the Aerothons, the weight speaks for itself.
Nike here gave me some lighter ones, carry the 40gram ones as spares, the super/stupid light ones I fear in the wild.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:08 PM

i recently did some research on this just thinking about waste and found these articles interesting

yellocrank tpu pt 1 / pt 2

tldr -
butyl is dirty to produce and ends up in landfill if you don't seek out recycle programs
latex while natural and (possibly) biodegrades generally is harvested in SE Asia with little regulation so you get deforestation and slave labor. no infrastructure to recycle
TPU requires least resources to manufacture and some are 100% recyclable (for whatever that is worth)

i've ridden all 3 and my 2 cents regarding use
butyl - irritates my skin, hate to handle it, cheapest and easiest to get ahold of, least nice ride quality.
latex - rides the nicest to me, i don't mind pumping my tires pre ride as i like to play with psi regularly anyway and like to know where i'm at. i did return a few challenge latex tubes as i found big bubbles in them (when pumped very low psi) when i was checking them before install
tpu - like others have said, ride almost as nice as latex and the most packable making for great spares even if you get on better with latex or butyl. i did find you have to be delicate when using a mini pump. because of the violent pumping/shaking i damaged one at the base of the core when replacing a tube mid ride, i think it was a ridenow.

i've flatted all three and can't say if one is more resilient than the other, too many variables

pandapodium ends up cheap with free shipping

these aren't as cheap as the ridenow but they have removeable cores and they make a TPU sealant. haven't tried this setup yet but it seems like it could be the way to go.

also i haven't tried this yet but i went about looking for a tpu patch solution and found this stuff from gear aid (also on amazon) which looks promising. should be cheaper than anything else and you can cut to whatever size and shape you like

Last edited by br0qn; 02-06-2024 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
50 bpm

Deep(ish) dive by Cycling Weekly.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I went from butyl to latex to TPU and back to latex. the main reason was the fragility of the TPU as compared to the other tubes. I tried both turbolito and pirelli tubes and had issues with both flatting or being easily damaged during install. I also found TPUs to be much more susceptible to pinch flats if pressure was not perfect.

I am back to either silca latex or vittoria latex tubes.

I ride with alloy rims and rim brakes and have no issues.
I have been using Schwalbe Aerothans for a while and I have not found them to be fragile at all and have been easy to get mounted in Conti gp5000's. I have had a couple flats but they were sharp objects ie wires that would have punctured any thing. They were easily patched with glueless patches. I know everyone has different experiences tho. I use the Silca or Rene Herse psi guide.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:50 PM
Vendor

I'm predominantly a tubeless guy, but my Dura Ace 9000 wheels, although supposedly tubeless, are hardly posterboys for the technology. So I installed Schwalbe Aerothan tubes instead. At first I wasn't impressed, but when I lowered the pressure to 65-70psi (I'm 140lbs, running 26mm Panaracer GK Slicks on the aforementioned wheels) they started to feel amazing. Over 1000 miles and no flats yet, but I hardly ever puncture anyway so that's indicative of nothing. They feel great, though, and what's more the tubes are so small and light that you can put 'em in a jersey pocket and they take up very little real estate and you don't feel 'em there either.

Many moons ago I used Vittoria latex tubes. Never again. They just lose air too quickly. Like 20psi+ over the course of a single day.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:03 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
I'm predominantly a tubeless guy, but my Dura Ace 9000 wheels, although supposedly tubeless, are hardly posterboys for the technology. So I installed Schwalbe Aerothan tubes instead. At first I wasn't impressed, but when I lowered the pressure to 65-70psi (I'm 140lbs, running 26mm Panaracer GK Slicks on the aforementioned wheels) they started to feel amazing. Over 1000 miles and no flats yet, but I hardly ever puncture anyway so that's indicative of nothing. They feel great, though, and what's more the tubes are so small and light that you can put 'em in a jersey pocket and they take up very little real estate and you don't feel 'em there either.

Many moons ago I used Vittoria latex tubes. Never again. They just lose air too quickly. Like 20psi+ over the course of a single day.
Hey, that’s my daily upper body workout with my Silca floor pump.