Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Baratza Forte’ BG, which has the steel burrs. Used for my pour-overs, but thought I could get away with it since many Robot users claim they don’t use a typical espresso (ex fine) grind. It’s well aligned, but it could be just the style of the burrs. I may just have to get an inexpensive manual grinder dedicated for espresso use.
What are you using?
Fancy. I’m almost 100% sure you’ve seen this but if not this is worth a watch.

https://prima-coffee.com/learn/artic...te-bg-espresso

I have a 1zpresso JX-Pro.

Highly recommended. Price to performance is really good IMO. Very quick to grind and consistency is fantastic. As well as the ridiculous number of clicks.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Did you try going finer?
It’s just off of touching, so it’s as fine as it will safely go. It’s (the grind) is really the only thing I haven’t changed since I started with the Robot. It’s funny how easy the Youtube videos make it look!
Old 12-07-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post

Highly recommended. Price to performance is really good IMO. Very quick to grind and consistency is fantastic. As well as the ridiculous number of clicks.
That’s exactly the grinder I had in mind.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
It’s just off of touching, so it’s as fine as it will safely go. It’s (the grind) is really the only thing I haven’t changed since I started with the Robot. It’s funny how easy the Youtube videos make it look!
Interesting! I dont know how the Robot works, but did you try tamping harder?
Old 12-07-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Also, thanks for that video link. I had watched it before I bought the Forte’ and was instrumental in my decision.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Also, thanks for that video link. I had watched it before I bought the Forte’ and was instrumental in my decision.
No prob. Out of interest, what dose are you using? You might get a better result with a slightly larger dose and a harder tamp to create more resistance. (that could of course result in channeling, though) If you did this, you could try a longer pre-infuse while holding the arms in place to allow the puck to swell to it's max size before continuing with the pull of your shot. Might also create some resistance.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
No prob. Out of interest, what dose are you using? You might get a better result with a slightly larger dose and a harder tamp to create more resistance. (that could of course result in channeling, though) If you did this, you could try a longer pre-infuse while holding the arms in place to allow the puck to swell to it's max size before continuing with the pull of your shot. Might also create some resistance.
I was at 17.5 gms with ~ 40 gms h2o. I upped the dose to 20 gms and got better pressures and longer times as you would expect. Cup was not any better though.

I decided to order the ceramic burrs instead of buying another grinder to see how that works. I really like the Forte’ with its weight and time grind choices so we’ll see how the burrs changes things.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:51 AM

I know I’m over thinking this, but re grinds and extraction times I’m wondering if grinders that offer a larger distribution of particle size within a grind setting will produce a tighter puck with longer extraction times.
Here’s where I’m coming from: the steel burrs on my Forte’ BG are supposed to produce a mostly uniform particle size, which benefits V60 type extraction. On the other hand, the ceramic burrs on the Forte’ AP are supposed to produce a slightly finer particle size, but also more fines...or larger distribution of particle size for a given setting.
If you have smaller particles filling in between (interstitial) the larger particles, it stands to reason that he resistance to flow will be increased...no? I’m just trying to figure out why I cannot build pressures that other Robot users are getting.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:09 PM

Yes, I agree with what you are saying in principle.

If it helps... here's my current grind. I know it's coffee dependent but photo's always help regardless IMO.

This is a grind for a 17g in, 40g out. I go for a 10-15 second preinfuse at 2 bar, ramp up to 9 and back down to 6/5 bar by the end of the shot.

This is the finest my Oxo burr grinder can do for comparison sake. I would agree that there are far less fines in here and even though it looks pretty fine, the espresso grind is still much finer. And the grinder itself can also go much, much finer.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 12-08-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:

If it helps... here's my current grind. I know it's coffee dependent but photo's always help regardless IMO.

This is a grind for a 17g in, 40g out. I go for a 10-15 second preinfuse at 2 bar, ramp up to 9 and back down to 6/5 bar by the end of the shot.

This is the finest my Oxo burr grinder can do for comparison sake. I would agree that there are far less fines in here and even though it looks pretty fine, the espresso grind is still much finer. And the grinder itself can also go much, much finer.
Well, you gave me an idea...I did a grind on my old Capresso conical burr grinder which produces a lot of fines as it’s really old. On the finest setting, I was able to get a 7 bar pull taper to 5, 15s pre and 35s total for a 45 gm shot. Impressive results from a "crappy grinder". If it weren’t for most of what I do is pour overs, the Forte’ would be on the auction block! I’m thinking the flat ceramic burrs will do the trick, at least hopeful!
I think we’re onto something!
Old 12-08-2020, 01:54 PM

LPEP-before-after.jpg

Just finished a resto-mod on a 1978 La Pavoni Europiccola. Before and after image above. The powder coat was done by ArcaneMoto in Brooklyn. Just need to tighten the boiler flange and it's good to go.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueda Tropical View Post

Just finished a resto-mod on a 1978 La Pavoni Europiccola. Before and after image above. The powder coat was done by ArcaneMoto in Brooklyn. Just need to tighten the boiler flange and it's good to go.
Wow that looks great! The inside of my base is rusted pretty bad. Wonder if I should get it powder coated!
Old 12-08-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Attachment 1698014798

we can hang
Old 12-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Attachment 1698014798

Oh yeah, I like what you have done there!

W.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I understand that it could look very different up close and in person and I could be very wrong...but the grind in those photos look quite course to me.

W.

Tags
coffee, espresso