Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 05:50 PM
#RYFB

HED3 Stinger vs Dura Ace C35

I'm switching to carbon tubs on my Duende.

One friend has a pair of HED3 Stingers, another friend has a pair of Dura Ace C35s. While the Peg is Campy I'm not a purist. The prices are about the same.

Anyone have firsthand experience of these wheelsets and an opinion on which is the preferred deal? Or, absent experience with both, feel free to express your preference (but please be clear about what comes from experience versus 2nd/3rd hand).

Also, is it possible to buy a Campy freehub body for Dura Ace hubs? I can't use the Shim body because I'm still running Chorus 10 (for now).

thanks
Old 02-18-2019, 06:21 PM

How about some Bora 35s ?

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...highlight=bora

Old 02-18-2019, 06:40 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Gee, I missed those buried deep in the classifieds…
Slightly more pricey but def worth considering, thanks.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:51 PM
Member?

I have HED Stinger 4 SCT's. Love them. No knowledge of the Shimano wheels. My other experience is with Campy pre-builts...Khamsin, Scirocco and Zonda. The Hed tubulars are sublime in comparison. Difficult to quantify the difference. The HED's feel really fast.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:17 PM

Or Shamal tubs? (Yes, not carbon... but amazing nonetheless)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 PM

If looking at the DA C35 clinchers I would not consider them a carbon wheel. They are an alum wheel with a carbon veneer. But had a set on my Pegoretti and rolled real nice. Have not owned a set of HEDs but Those DA hubs are pretty sweet.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Owning a pair of C24s, I'd vote D/A

Great hubs. Decently light. Don't need carbon brake pads so you can swap out for other AL wheels

M
Old 02-18-2019, 09:26 PM
#RYFB

@teleguy: ok, good option, will consider

Justin: not clinchers, the tubs so actually carbon. Have not heard anyone chime in with an answer regarding the freehub body; my impression is this swap is not possible which means expediting the switch to 11 speed.

@Gummee: I agree that not having to swap pads is a plus, another mark for the Shamals.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:37 PM

I was searching for Shimano spaced cassette with Campy splines this week. Came up short. There used to be 4 sources. As far as I can tell, they all dried up.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:19 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I was searching for Shimano spaced cassette with Campy splines this week. Came up short. There used to be 4 sources. As far as I can tell, they all dried up.
If you're running C11, it's the same spacing a S11. No need for a special cassette

If you're running anything else? Dunno

M
Old 02-19-2019, 07:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I'm switching to carbon tubs on my Duende.

One friend has a pair of HED3 Stingers, another friend has a pair of Dura Ace C35s. While the Peg is Campy I'm not a purist. The prices are about the same.

Anyone have firsthand experience of these wheelsets and an opinion on which is the preferred deal? Or, absent experience with both, feel free to express your preference (but please be clear about what comes from experience versus 2nd/3rd hand).

Also, is it possible to buy a Campy freehub body for Dura Ace hubs? I can't use the Shim body because I'm still running Chorus 10 (for now).

thanks
DA hubs much better hubs than the HED wheelset.
Nope, no Campag compatible FHB for shimano wheels or hubs. There are conversion cogsets out there tho.

BUT, I vote for the Boras also..Best hubs..WITH tires!!

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-19-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:23 AM

I have experience riding both and would say that Dura Ace wheels are amongst the best out there. Aside from maybe Campy wheels or a set of hand built wheels, I don’t think you will find a better set than Dura Ace.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:33 PM

HED wheelsets use standard bladed spokes you can easily replace on your own unlike Shimano proprietary spokes on their wheelsets.

If you want to run a Campy cassette there is a conversion kit for HED hubs too. But their freehub bodies (at least the Shimano/SRAM ones I've had) are made of aluminum so they don't last as long as Dura Ace Hub freehubs. Plus they are loud when coasting too (I honestly prefer quieter myself).

I personally like the HED fully built wheelsets I'm currently running and have in the past. But they are Jets and not Stingers though. Never ran those Dura Ace wheels but admit them seem pretty nice and you couldn't go wrong with either one.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:35 PM

I'm a big fan of my HED Stinger wheels but nothing beats a DA or Campy (Bora) hubset for being able to forget about it. My Eurus are living under an ex-teammate, they are 14 years old. I bought a second set of Eurus (bent rims prior - wanted to rebuilt them) and they're under a local rider, also 14 years old. DA hubs... they just last forever.

My Stingers (4 front, 6/6, 7/9) are going on 7-9 years old (bought new 2010 or used in 2012) but they're race use only. A bit of play in the rears.