Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 04:42 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss shinomaster. Thank you for sharing.

-------------------------------------

A cyclist got my wife's stolen bike back to her, rather than buying it and keeping it. Pretty awesome.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:13 PM

Sorry for your loss. it reminds me how dangerous our sport can be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Almost five years ago my older brother was horribly killed when coming home from a ride. he was an experienced road racer and an excellent cyclist. His luck just ran out that day when the driver of an SUV didn't see him, and clobbered him head on while making a left turn.
Anyway, my online friends, most of whom I'd never met, were moved by this. They shut down Velocipede Salon for a day and put up a picture of my brother. People from Paceline and Vsalon raised some cash for my Nephew's college fund, and StephenCL amazingly donated all the profit from the sale of his team kits that year to my Nephew. I was incredibly moved by this and so was my dad. Someday I'll tell my nephew about this act of kindness and I'm certain he will be too, as he is such a thoughtful, intelligent person. He's doing much better these days, but he still worries when I go off on a bike ride. I have go as I'm crying all over my Lenovo laptop. So anyway, thanks again everyone.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 PM
commuter racer

Thank for all the kind sentiments. It's still very hard as you might expect. Sadly, my brother and I had a falling-out of sorts, and I never got to reconcile before his accident. It made it all the more difficult to endure. So, my free advice, based on this experience, is to go tell all your loved ones how you truly feel ( unless you have nothing nice to say ). Life is a fleeting thing.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:19 PM

A few years back, some friends and I took the ferry from Port Angeles into Victoria, Canada. The plan was to get off the ferry and do a century around the island.
Well, we're trying to figure out how to get out of the city. We had turned our cell service off, and we were trying to remember the map we looked at instead of having to stop at a coffee shop for wifi. So we asked an older guy on a townie bike for some directions. This guy launches into about 3 minutes of "turn left here, turn right here, go until you see this, turn left, turn right" to the point where our eyes glaze over and we realize that his directions were no help at all.

We continue down a street that seems like a main street, through some lights, until we felt like we were probably on the right track. All the while, the mfer on the townie bike had been chasing us for maybe 2 miles. As we're stopped at a red light, he pulls up panting and sweating, and gasps "guys I'm so sorry. I think I told you the wrong directions. What you're going to want to do is...." and gives us another 3 minutes of directions.

To me this is just wholesome. He was so concerned with leading us astray that he chased us down for miles to give us more help.