Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
If higher on the budget, and are OK with resale being low, maybe Spectrum.

If higher on budget and also want to hold value, Moots, Firefly, etc.

All of the above will likely ride equally great and hold up just fine.
Is it true that the Spectrum commands a lower resale value, and if so, is that due to some difference in e.g., marketing/branding strategy, or something else? I hear nothing but great stuff about them, so what's the dealeo?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:03 AM

As many have noted, there are so many good builders. If you want performance, you may desire slightly smaller wheelbase/rear and stiffer chainstays.

I’ve had so many ti bikes (Merlin, Serotta, Spectrum, Seven, Moots, Litespeed, Lynskey) and currently have an Eriksen, which feels as fast/good as my Parlee carbons bikes (Z1 and Z5).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2018, 09:08 AM

Did anyone mention Legend by Bertoletti?

http://www.legendbybertoletti.it/en/...ilter=.titanio

More photos here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210631.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 AM

All are good answers. If you can make it to the barn for a personal fitting then you can't beat Tom Kellogg. If you don't want to wait for months a Moots or Seven can be fitted at a local dealer and delivered in a few months. For me if you can't get fitted by a custom builder at their facility then getting fitted at a local dealer for a Moots makes alot of sense.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Is it true that the Spectrum commands a lower resale value, and if so, is that due to some difference in e.g., marketing/branding strategy, or something else? I hear nothing but great stuff about them, so what's the dealeo?
I have not seen many (any?) Spectrum frames/bikes in the second-hand market that were "normal" from a fit/geo perspective. And that probably hurts resale significantly.

One reason Moots prices stand up over time is you generally know exactly what you are getting - can find a geo table and know that it was made with certain bell-curve ride characteristics in mind.

Plus, Spectrum, Holland, Davidson, Potts, etc. just don't have the it's-hawt-and-now brand recognition among the unwashed hipster masses (and those who want to be like them but have the money to buy fancy toys) that Baum, No. 22, Firefly, and Mosaic are enjoying these days.

All of them are great bikes though. If they fit...
Old 11-02-2018, 09:36 AM

I'd add in that 10 years ago you weren't likely getting a all around/gravel bike with big fat tire clearance, disc brakes, etc.. either.

That's what I'd be ordering if I was getting a Ti bike. It'd be to replace my All City Space Horse and possibly my Trek Domane as well.

I'd be looking for a Ti bike that had a higher performance frame than the Space Horse but not full on racey, carbon fork w/tapered steerer and clearance up to probably 38c, had eyelets for fenders, maybe for a rack. Hydro discs, and I want two sets of wheels... one to run knobby 38s, one to run slick 26-28c tires.

My Space Horse is ~25lbs, the Domane is just under 17lbs.. if I could have a 18-19lb bike not including the fenders that replaced both and was Ti for Ti's great durability I'd be super happy.

Going down to 1 bike wouldn't solve what I get right now though.. I ride the Space Horse in bad weather and leave the fenders on it most of the time and preserve the more expensive stuff on the Domane.. if I built up a super nice Ti bike I'd be riding my #1 bike in all the bad weather.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I have not seen many (any?) Spectrum frames/bikes in the second-hand market that were "normal" from a fit/geo perspective. And that probably hurts resale significantly.

One reason Moots prices stand up over time is you generally know exactly what you are getting - can find a geo table and know that it was made with certain bell-curve ride characteristics in mind.

Plus, Spectrum, Holland, Davidson, Potts, etc. just don't have the it's-hawt-and-now brand recognition among the unwashed hipster masses (and those who want to be like them but have the money to buy fancy toys) that Baum, No. 22, Firefly, and Mosaic are enjoying these days.

All of them are great bikes though. If they fit...
I think most Spectrum owner just keep the bikes !
Old 11-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
if you are a 57.5, that eriksen with campy for $2500 in the classifieds is a steal
Oh man, I did not need to see that!
Old 11-02-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
I think most Spectrum owner just keep the bikes !
That too - keep waiting for you to sell me yours
Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 AM

Thanks for all the input

I'm 5'10" currently riding a 54cm, not very flexible due to being a distance runner as well. I could probably get on a 55 if the geometry was right. The bike would be for next season, so I don't need it tomorrow. I've been looking at No. 22, Seven and Moots as options, Firefly is a bit out of budget and from what I hear a verrry long wait. I don't have 5 figures to spend on it either so it will be built up with ultegra or force and average wheels. I'm not really into discs so id probably stick to rim brakes. I would be interested in a newer used full ti Serotta, Moots, No. 22 if anyone has one they're looking to part with?
Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
That too - keep waiting for you to sell me yours
Not going to happen even though everything has a price
Old 11-02-2018, 10:09 AM

333fab
Old 11-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Can you stretch onto this one? This is a great local shop to me - highly reputable and deal with many of the super high end road bikes in the city.

http://straightupcycles.ca/bike_prod...-vamoots-55cm/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD View Post
I'm 5'10" currently riding a 54cm, not very flexible due to being a distance runner as well. I could probably get on a 55 if the geometry was right. The bike would be for next season, so I don't need it tomorrow. I've been looking at No. 22, Seven and Moots as options, Firefly is a bit out of budget and from what I hear a verrry long wait. I don't have 5 figures to spend on it either so it will be built up with ultegra or force and average wheels. I'm not really into discs so id probably stick to rim brakes. I would be interested in a newer used full ti Serotta, Moots, No. 22 if anyone has one they're looking to part with?
Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Not going to happen even though everything has a price
Ha ha, whatever that price is, I can't afford it..
Old 11-02-2018, 10:38 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I'd add in that 10 years ago you weren't likely getting a all around/gravel bike with big fat tire clearance, disc brakes, etc.. either.

That's what I'd be ordering if I was getting a Ti bike. It'd be to replace my All City Space Horse and possibly my Trek Domane as well.

I'd be looking for a Ti bike that had a higher performance frame than the Space Horse but not full on racey, carbon fork w/tapered steerer and clearance up to probably 38c, had eyelets for fenders, maybe for a rack. Hydro discs, and I want two sets of wheels... one to run knobby 38s, one to run slick 26-28c tires.

My Space Horse is ~25lbs, the Domane is just under 17lbs.. if I could have a 18-19lb bike not including the fenders that replaced both and was Ti for Ti's great durability I'd be super happy.

Going down to 1 bike wouldn't solve what I get right now though.. I ride the Space Horse in bad weather and leave the fenders on it most of the time and preserve the more expensive stuff on the Domane.. if I built up a super nice Ti bike I'd be riding my #1 bike in all the bad weather.
Something like this? Boras for summer, 650b for winter trails.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk