Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 10-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Seagull Century...

This may arguably be; the most boring ride in the world. Double digit elevation gain over 100 miles and pretty in-inspirational scenery....but- work pals talked me into riding it again this year.

Any other Paceline folks in attendance? Post ride beers?

Let me know if anyone will be there.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:30 AM

I've ridden it once. And would wholeheartedly agree. Won't do it a second time. It also seems to attract a ton of inexperienced group riders. About as exciting as the annual Bike to the Beach for Autism speaks, or any sort of triathlon out at Dewey, Bethany or Rehoboth. Will say though, if you want to do a 5hr century, it's a good one to choose.

My wife gets confused when we visit there during the summer. a 60 mile ride near home takes around 3.5-4 hours with stops. a 60-mile ride out there takes a bit more than 3 hrs, even with stops. I have to explain to her that the elevation changes make a difference (3500±'/60 miles at home, 300'/60 miles out at the delaware shore) for my average speed.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This may arguably be; the most boring ride in the world. Double digit elevation gain over 100 miles and pretty in-inspirational scenery....but- work pals talked me into riding it again this year.

Any other Paceline folks in attendance? Post ride beers?

Let me know if anyone will be there.
That honor goes to the NYD ride around Haines point in DC. 100 miles on a dead flat 3.1mile loop. And it has water on 2 of the 3 sides, so if it's breezy, it has the added joy of being raw.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:18 PM

Yet, somehow, it is always a packed field. Go figure. I'll pass on the Seagull...

The Civil War Century has spectacular scenery and plenty of up 'n down... Take longer and actually stop at each battle field and spend some time. You can almost hear the musket ramrods clatter...

Old 11-16-2018, 06:45 PM

There are plenty of flat centuries on the Eastern Shore/Delmarva during the good riding months. I never had the inclination to ride the Seagull, knocking elbows with 5000+ of your favorite riders, many of whom are new to group riding. The Civil War Century really is very good, and you often CAN actually hear the musket (and cannon) shot during the frequent reenactments.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:52 PM

My wife and I did it on the tandem one year. Actually a great ride for that with the lack of elevation!