Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
I have some FF miles. Does it make sense to fly out from Atlanta...or should I save my points for the Philly Expo this fall? I know no one can make that decision for me....I'm just not sure?

And NO offense to the organizers of either show as I hope to get to both of them eventually. And perhaps, NABHS 2020 will be closer to the East Coast?
I would go to Philly. The Philly Bike show is as rad or better than NAHBS depending on who you talk to. But all things being equal, Philadelphia is a much better city to visit than Sacramento.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 PM
v a n i l l a

I think it also depends on your experience and accessibility to bike shows of any kind.

NAHBS is larger than Philly so there will be more vendors on top of the builders.

I hear about Philly and by all accounts it's a more intimate show than NAHBS. But, really what does it matter? it's not like you will be having a 30 minute conversation with every builder/vendor.

it all goes back to why you want to go and what if anything you expect or would like to leave with (impressions, conversations, stuff, new bike)

Having been to neither can be a very powerful draw. Forbidden fruit if you will. If you like bikes and go to NAHBS you will enjoy it. But I can also tell you your life will be just fine if you miss it.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:04 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I would go to Philly. The Philly Bike show is as rad or better than NAHBS depending on who you talk to. But all things being equal, Philadelphia is a much better city to visit than Sacramento.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e747d16...6-61d52cdff311
Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 PM

I have no doubt that "a friend" of the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce will be contacting you both shortly.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
I have no doubt that "a friend" of the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce will be contacting you both shortly.
all things being equal I much prefer "a friend" from Sacramento contacting me than "a friend" from Philly.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:52 PM

I'm planning on going but I'd like to sleep in my van somewhere - insert joke here... Anyone know of any camping areas somewhat close? Doesn't look like there is a National Forest nearby. All I see are nasty RV parks that cost as much as a hotel room.

Also how about some 3-4 hour ride recs. May as well turn this into a little training camp.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2019, 11:23 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
I'm planning on going but I'd like to sleep in my van somewhere - insert joke here... Anyone know of any camping areas somewhat close? Doesn't look like there is a National Forest nearby. All I see are nasty RV parks that cost as much as a hotel room.

Also how about some 3-4 hour ride recs. May as well turn this into a little training camp.

Thanks
Can't you just roll into some residential area for the night? I'm not familiar with the riding around Sacramento. I'd imagine there's good riding around Davis. Maybe check out the Davis Cycling Club. I'm planning on driving over from SF on Friday.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks
American River Bike Path is the obvious one. Car free. One of the longest in the country. (The longest?) From Downtown Sac to Lake Folsom. 60 miles round trip. Probably 1,000 feet climbing tops. Really scenic. The Alliance will love carving all the twists and turns ..,

Last edited by XXtwindad; 02-18-2019 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Correction: From Old Sac to Folsom.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks
There is a State Park at Beals Point in Folsom and the American River Bike Trail goes through the Beals Point area, a good place to access the trail, some coffee and bike shops nearby and you could take Light Rail from Downtown Folsom to NAHBS in Sacramento.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks
If you want to sleep in your van, McKinley Park anywhere on McKinley street. While walking my dog I see folks sometimes in vans camping in front of the tennis courts.
601 Alhambra Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95816, couple miles from NAHBS

Two blocks away one of the best breakfast place, http://www.orphanbreakfast.com/

Last edited by Tony; 02-19-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:23 AM

Food places to go, my favorites.

Breakfast, Orphans
http://www.orphanbreakfast.com/

For burgers, The Shack. BEST, BEST burger in Sacramento period! Mix their own meats. http://eastsacshack.com/

Thai Food, The coconut on T street, $2 micro brews all day. Drunken Noodle is awesome!
http://www.thecoconutthai.com/

Mexican, Cantina Alley, Food is good, cheap! Sometimes its a little loud, but great atmosphere. https://www.cantinaalley.com/

Creek, Petra, good happy hour, food, $1 beers
https://petragreek.com/

Pizza, Pizza Rock just down a couple blocks from NAHBS http://www.pizzarocksacramento.com/
Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Thanks
Park in some Walmart parking lots..

you can use the Allstays Camp & RV app to see which Walmarts allow overnight parking. Here is the following link for which Walmarts don’t allow camping at Walmart: https://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
If you want to sleep in your van, McKinley Park anywhere on McKinley street. While walking my dog I see folks sometimes in vans camping in front of the tennis courts.
601 Alhambra Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95816, couple miles from NAHBS

Two blocks away one of the best breakfast place, http://www.orphanbreakfast.com/

If I end up being able to go, I'll be getting an AirBnB somewhere and you'll be welcome to park your van there - use the fridge, etc.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:42 PM

I'll be there Sunday. I've been to two in San Jose, one in Portland, and this will be the 3rd Sac show. I've enjoyed them all.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Post Mod-ern

Talking I'm now definitely attending . . .

. . . and staying with my daughter, who lives off Watt Ave. north of the river. Flying in Friday and doing the show Saturday, then staying with her all of the following week.

I got an email last week with the pitch pictured below. Looks like fun. But I'm open to any group ride all weekend or the following week as long a y'all agree to go easy on my winter spaghetti legs!

Is there an official Paceline dinner yet? I'd be willing to get something together Saturday evening. Lots of good suggestions in this thread for places.

My daughter has a ten year old C'dale Synapse she's going to let me use . . . unless anybody local has something I can borrow. (Hint, hint! ) Maybe Doc Mojo still has that Colnago?

BBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 6.46.36 PM.jpg (37.1 KB, 164 views)
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats