Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2019, 05:18 PM

tubolito tubes

anyone have any personal experience with these? they got a nice write-up from the folks at rkp: http://redkiteprayer.com/2019/08/no-...ubolito-tubes/

they do seem super expensive, but if the tube costs 3x that of a regular tube and lasts 3x the time, i might be able to think of that as a wash. https://road.cc/content/review/25331...tubo-road-700c mentioned the orange valve stems as a con, but i have an orange bike, so i'm seeing that as a pro

my current supply of huge, heavy, decidedly-not-orange butyl tubes is dwindling, so i'm considering trying a few of these out. but if anyone has good cause to save the cash (or rather, spend it on the status-quo), i'd love to hear about it!
Old 08-13-2019, 06:11 PM

Tubolito

I use them in my spare bag- I have had to pull one out to fix a flat in a tubeless tire- It did work as advertised.
I would not use them as daily drivers in a set of clincher wheels. They just seem way too thin- like inflatable kites that I had as a kid.
That said- They helped me to par down the size of my spare bag that I carry-
Old 08-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I use them in my spare bag- I have had to pull one out to fix a flat in a tubeless tire- It did work as advertised.
I would not use them as daily drivers in a set of clincher wheels. They just seem way too thin- like inflatable kites that I had as a kid.
That said- They helped me to par down the size of my spare bag that I carry-
This is the story of me too. I think they are worth it for 29er tubes because they are so compact.

I have only needed to use them once and they did just fine.

Last edited by joosttx; 08-13-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:59 PM

Great innovation! Me thinks the manufacturer is marking these up 5-10x over cost. I don’t care how small they are or how little they weigh, if they cost the same as the Gravel Kings I’m riding, the price is too much.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 PM

I have yet to hear one bad review about these things but the size alone means I'm going to be sticking a couple in my saddle bag.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:21 PM

Ha, I just read the same article at RKP and was wondering myself. I'll probably get some and try them out.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:00 PM

I've been running the Tubolitos s-tubo disc-only 23g inner tubes with my 28mm gp5000 for over 1200km no issues. They've been to the Dolomites too and performed well. I carry two spares which in total weigh less than a standard tube or lightweight on for that matter.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:03 AM
Vendor

I've been intrigued by these things for a long time. I've read some negative reviews about the valves and patches not always working. One of the RKP readers also commented on the valves. Still, it's good to hear they're working out for most and I might just give them a try.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:12 AM

Purchased a pair a couple of weeks ago. Used them on a few rides, and so far so good. My friend has used a pair this season, with no issues yet.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:10 AM

I use them to pack on long rides as spares due to the freaking amazing size. I run tubeless so it’s a last effort item.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:16 AM
Lanterne rouge

I don’t understand how a thinner tube adds puncture resistance. I have taken note of the thickness of tire and it is thicker than a tube. Seems anything that goes through a tire will go through a thin tube. Maybe not a big thick slime type tube but a thin one, yes. You all do put a tire on one side of a tube and a rim on the other right?
Another question, can these be patched? My butyl tubes last a long time on account of being patched. What am I missing?
Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
I don’t understand how a thinner tube adds puncture resistance. I have taken note of the thickness of tire and it is thicker than a tube. Seems anything that goes through a tire will go through a thin tube. Maybe not a big thick slime type tube but a thin one, yes. You all do put a tire on one side of a tube and a rim on the other right?
Another question, can these be patched? My butyl tubes last a long time on account of being patched. What am I missing?
It’s an odd material- not rubbery.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:56 AM

comment over on gear-junkie:

"I now have considerable experience with patching these tubes, both with the original clear flix kit and the newer oval red flix kit, and I'm here to report that patching these tubes does NOT work, at least not with the patches Tubolito offers. I've patched four seperate holes and all of the patches failed. I really hoped these tubes would work, but I will now only use them as emergency backups (saddlebag, jersey pocket, etc)."
Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 AM

Yes, great lightweight tube option for the saddlebag especially for larger volume tires with the weight savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I use them to pack on long rides as spares due to the freaking amazing size. I run tubeless so it’s a last effort item.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
comment over on gear-junkie:

"I now have considerable experience with patching these tubes, both with the original clear flix kit and the newer oval red flix kit, and I'm here to report that patching these tubes does NOT work, at least not with the patches Tubolito offers. I've patched four seperate holes and all of the patches failed. I really hoped these tubes would work, but I will now only use them as emergency backups (saddlebag, jersey pocket, etc)."

Hmmm, If I can't patch a $35+ tube, forget it.