Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Riding Along

If you are still expected to social distance from people you do not live with why would a group ride be OK? A group walk or a gathering outdoors where people are maintaining some distance is reasonably safe, but to ride behind people breathing hard for multiple hours is a real invitation to inhale viral particles. Remember that people who show no symptoms are shedding a lot of viral particles. If you are comfortable with your chances if you get the virus and will never be in contact with someone who is vulnerable then I guess it is a calculated risk. Never mind the fact that you may be pulling resources if you need to be hospitalized.

I think that we have reached an inflection point in terms of our collective desire to do what needs to be done to stop this virus. Less than 3 months and most folks have reached full "Meh". The numbers of cases in many places are not going down but the rapid opening up with little or no procedures to prevent transmission will certainly come back to bite us all in the arse. We love living in a world where the burden of the many is carried by the few. It is truly fascinating to see how different countries and cultures have done well or poorly against this plague.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:30 PM
LateStart

Yes, small groups

We have a group of 5, don't ride close. Everyone is sheltering in place fairly carefully when not riding.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:51 PM
50 bpm

One of the biggest groups in the area was out in force Saturday morning, perhaps 40-50 strong.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:50 PM

I’ve been avoiding them. I don’t want to risk bringing the virus home or transmitting it to someone else if I’m an asymptomatic carrier. The chance of contracting COVID-19 increases dramatically when you come into contact with more people. I’m happy riding alone for now.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:29 PM

Still riding solo, but it was a zoo out there today.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
If you are still expected to social distance from people you do not live with why would a group ride be OK? A group walk or a gathering outdoors where people are maintaining some distance is reasonably safe, but to ride behind people breathing hard for multiple hours is a real invitation to inhale viral particles. Remember that people who show no symptoms are shedding a lot of viral particles. If you are comfortable with your chances if you get the virus and will never be in contact with someone who is vulnerable then I guess it is a calculated risk. Never mind the fact that you may be pulling resources if you need to be hospitalized.

I think that we have reached an inflection point in terms of our collective desire to do what needs to be done to stop this virus. Less than 3 months and most folks have reached full "Meh". The numbers of cases in many places are not going down but the rapid opening up with little or no procedures to prevent transmission will certainly come back to bite us all in the arse. We love living in a world where the burden of the many is carried by the few. It is truly fascinating to see how different countries and cultures have done well or poorly against this plague.
This sums up my thoughts really well.
I agree. I have been riding solo but meeting up outside after my ride with friends.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post

Yup, and alone for me until an effective vaccine...I give it about 2 weeks for some spikes...there are some spikes showing now..15 days after mothers day...
Old 05-25-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I’ve been avoiding them. I don’t want to risk bringing the virus home or transmitting it to someone else if I’m an asymptomatic carrier. The chance of contracting COVID-19 increases dramatically when you come into contact with more people. I’m happy riding alone for now.
Same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2020, 11:26 AM

The only person I'm riding with right now is my wife. I do very few group rides anyway, but I've turned down offers from others to do a ride because, well....
Old 05-25-2020, 11:29 AM

Tried doing a group ride today which was advertised as being "socially distanced". I was curious what that meant, then quickly realized there is no such thing as a socially distanced group ride when there are 10+ riders... Ended up following the group from a good 20 yards back, essentially a solo ride.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:48 AM

I am pretty content between my typical solo riding and once or twice a week tandem rides with my girlfriend. I do miss brevets though. I've seen groups of three or four out on the road lately, and it seems really weird.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:37 PM

I rode Saturday with a group of 8. I agree that there is no such thing as a socially distanced group ride when there are strong riders and people are drafting so as not to be off the back. Definitely a bummer as I really struggle to ride alone several hours at a time and I can never push myself like in a group. I am in Missouri so a small group ride pales in comparison to what is happening at Lake of the Ozarks. All of us are essential workers as well and I was the only one expressing doubts.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 PM

Anything beyond solo or with people in your household avoiding all others makes no sense right now.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:11 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

My cycling crew has now resumed normal group rides with just a few of us as the "last holdouts" unwilling to join everyone else.
While I see the crucial need to restart the nation, it simultaneously seems to me a group bicycle ride is a simple activity to do without.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:45 PM

Went to a multi use trail at 8:30 this morning, busy as heck, a lot of people to slow down behind waiting for a clear path to pass. Towards the end there was a group riding two abreast, 5 or 6 deep. Bad idea any time on a MUT in my opinion, but especially a holiday, especially with covid.