Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 05:45 PM

You'll get some mileage out of this one, probably banned in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Sorry to hear it man. IDK about Portland OR (assuming that is where you are from since it says so in your info) but here in Appalachian VA we have our fair share of red necks who think that we are all a bunch of gays riding on their streets tryin' to take their guns or something...

So a buddy of mine did an experiment. He got an American flag jersey and I swear to you it's like when they see that thing waving in front of their faces they automatically think you are on their side, that you are one of us.

I'm not kidding either.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:45 PM

Funny, I had a bad day with drivers today too. One woman put me in danger twice. I did something I never do....I gave her the finger on episode two. She stopped in the rode and rolled down the window to scream at me about my low place in humanity and I should have just quietly rolled on. I calmly explained to her how her actions put me in danger just so she could pass me and tailgate the slow moving vehicle in front of us. That conversation didnt go well. I went on a walk when I got home and really thought about my response to her and wished I hadn’t done it.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I have been thinking about buying one of these

- https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...510-rear-light

I was not convinced about its functionality when it came out but since I ride a lone a lot and in country roads most of the time I can see it being pretty useful. Also having a light at all times helps.

That is crazy awesome. I may grab one. Along with a go-pro to review license plates later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 06:02 PM

I was ready to call it quits a couple of years ago. San Francisco area is just getting too crowded and everyone (not just drivers) is in a hurry and also the most important person in the world.
I found a whole new world of riding in the trails that I never realized were all around.
Maybe just take some time off? I took the bus for a while but couldn't stay away from commuting by bike and have been enjoying it again.

Stay safe!
Old 07-14-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
So a buddy of mine did an experiment. He got an American flag jersey and I swear to you it's like when they see that thing waving in front of their faces they automatically think you are on their side, that you are one of us.

I'm not kidding either.
Tribalism. It's much more obvious and prevalent than it was 20 yrs ago.

Take politics, for example...

I try to humanize my presence when I ride as much as possible... wave, smile, that sort of thing. And of course, good road manners helps a bunch, too.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:10 PM

This ^^^ People are people, bad actors in every tribe...
Old 07-14-2018, 06:25 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengage View Post
That is crazy awesome. I may grab one. Along with a go-pro to review license plates later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yea I just watched the dc rainmaker review and thinking might pick one up this weekend. Its nice that it now has a light so its 2 in 1. Also cool that it can track more than 1 car behind you. Its pretty cool tech.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:27 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
Funny, I had a bad day with drivers today too. One woman put me in danger twice. I did something I never do....I gave her the finger on episode two. She stopped in the rode and rolled down the window to scream at me about my low place in humanity and I should have just quietly rolled on. I calmly explained to her how her actions put me in danger just so she could pass me and tailgate the slow moving vehicle in front of us. That conversation didnt go well. I went on a walk when I got home and really thought about my response to her and wished I hadn’t done it.
I did this last weekend. Flicked the guy off. Made it worst, he stoped and started revving his audi with his crappy after market exaust. Then I pulled up and he started revving it again , then stoped again and I really thought he was gonna try something. The whole rest of ride I was scared he was gonna come from behind me and push me off the road. Better to keep fingers to myself but I do want to get some mace, just in case.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Tribalism. It's much more obvious and prevalent than it was 20 yrs ago.

Take politics, for example...

I try to humanize my presence when I ride as much as possible... wave, smile, that sort of thing. And of course, good road manners helps a bunch, too.
Absolutely. Nothing better then a wave and a smile for good advocacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
You'll get some mileage out of this one, probably banned in California

That would be a good one too. Virginia actually has a license plate with that one it. I was thinking a NASCAR jersey or Busch Light
Old 07-14-2018, 06:36 PM

I still road ride, for now, but only during daylight hours. No dawn or dusk, either.

In my experience there has most def been an uptick in car vs. bike incidents both personally and as told to me by other riders in this area.

A few reasons in no particular order:
-Distracted driving
-Entitled, impatient, "it's all about me" drivers who HAVE to get from point A to point B NOW (even though they don't)
-I feel as though society overall has started to become less polite, mannered, respectful, etc. over the last several years. This manifests itself in many different circumstances, including: having to wait that extra 6 seconds behind a bike, redneck in his diesel dually telling his friends "hey ya'll watch this" just because he can, and others.....

Used to commute to work quite a bit, but early-morning tiredness (I guess) caused many drivers to nearly take me out no matter how brightly lit up I was. Defensive riding only goes so far sometimes. No bike paths or lanes on my route to work unfortunately, either. Finally quit commuting (and wasn't happy about the loss of the extra ~75 miles/week), but the alternative was becoming less attractive for myself and the fam.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 07-14-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:48 PM

Sharing another's (binxnyrwarrsoul) comment from another thread, kind of goes here as well....

Maybe it's because I'm on the road a lot more than most but this aggressive, get out of my way, my nail appointment/golf appointment is more important than your life attitude is an epidemic and getting worse.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:55 PM

Definitely quit if you feel that way.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

I’ve been using a Dinotte Quad rear light for the last couple of years. I think it helps draw attention to me. Most drivers in the Eugene area are pretty nice but of course I got flipped off 2 weeks ago by a guy in a Corvette. Clear straight road, one car, one bicyclist and a driver who needs anger management . I gave him a huge open handed wave in return. There are jerks everywhere aren’t there.
I like the idea of front and rear cameras but haven’t made the leap.

Clean - I’m bummed to hear you had so many bad encounters in Portland. I ride up there with friends occasionally and never had an issue. Touch wood.
I like trail riding and mtn biking but I love the ability to roll out my front door and ride 10- 100 miles.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:29 PM

Clean39, don't let your story become that of the highly respected and possibly envied Paceline member who died from a household accident. That gentleman who had gone through countless high end bikes, after escaping a Justice Department prosecution for defrauding the federal government for hundreds of millions, decided that other risks, such as road riding were not worth it. If I recall correctly, he gave up road for mtb, and then at the young age of late 50s, he succumbed to an indoor fall.

Let's not live in fear. Of the government or public roads.

Last edited by m4rk540; 07-14-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Just a quick word of caution. There's a lot of assumptions being made in this thread about other's intentions. Those assumptions may or may not be correct, but, it's generally best not to build a persona for someone else in your own mind based upon a single moment in time and our own bias.