Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 03:45 PM

A Second Vote For Leunig's

[Also, be sure to check out Leunig's for chow in Burlington.]

Leunig's is also a favorite for my family. Located on Church Street, it has a diverse menu with something for everyone. It is popular with locals and tourist alike, therefore I'd recommend a reservation for an evening visit.

Cheers.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:07 PM

- El Cortijo in an old diner on Bank St in Burlington for some lively Mexican food.
- A Single Pebble for wonderful Chinese food, also on Bank St.
- The magnificent Breeding Barn at Shelburne Farms was built in 1890 or so and was the largest open span wooden structure in the US until just before WW2.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:32 AM

Just need to book lodging for Maine at this point. Any suggestions? Looking at 4 nights or so...Bar Harbor for sure is on there but not sure if Portland would be a good spot? Open to ideas.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:52 AM
extremely tall

For upscale, Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth is very nice.

For location, the Hyatt Place in the Old Port in Portland is tough to beat.

The Press Hotel is also very nice; higher end boutique hotel in the Old Port.

You don't need too many days in Portland but I would schedule it so you have two dinners there. Great restaurants. Constantly evolving, but Fore Street is an old standard that's still excellent, and Duckfat is a must for a beer and snacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
Just need to book lodging for Maine at this point. Any suggestions? Looking at 4 nights or so...Bar Harbor for sure is on there but not sure if Portland would be a good spot? Open to ideas.

Last edited by echelon_john; 07-13-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 AM

Monhegan Island is worth visiting as you explore Maine. Book a ride on the mail boat out of Port Clyde and spend a day hiking the trails. You can stay at one of the inns if you want to spend the night. There are no paved roads on the island and no motor vehicle traffic so it's very quiet.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monhegan,_Maine
Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM

Some great suggestions in this thread.
Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Western Mass are loaded with great cycling and touring opportunities for sure.
As has been said, plenty of great riding in Maine away from traffic. You can ride from Portland to Belfast on beautiful roads along the coast as well as inland, almost completely avoiding Route 1, much of it on Eastern Trail, which consists of actual roads (I am so done with bike paths, rail trails, etc.). I never get tired of my standard ride along the coast from Portland to Brunswick or Bath and back.
Any of the midcoast peninsulas between Brunswick and Rockland are all great. This includes Phippsburg, Boothbay. Getting to Boothbay from route 1 on bike is certainly doable, but not the greatest with no shoulder and traffic. I really like the Damariscotta/Pemaquid area. Of course Camden, and of course Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI, as have been noted.

To throw out some oddballs between Belfast and MDI as getaways, not necessarily riding-specific, I would mention Blue Hill as another quintessential quaint New England coastal town, and Deer Isle and/or Isle Au Haut. Isle Au Haut is accessible by ferry, but you cannot take cars on the ferry. Very limited services and only one small B and B. We rode our tandem out there last year as part of our annual Down East tour, camping in Stonington on Deer Isle. I would not describe Isle Au Haut as a ride destination per se, though we enjoyed riding the gravel roads looping around the island and playing, lunching, and swimming on deserted beaches and rocky shoreline. Given that there are no cars and very limited lodging it makes a great escape getaway.
These all sit on a land mass about same latitude as MDI that juts out from the mainland, too big to be called a peninsula.

This year we are also planning an overnight to North Haven, taking ferry from Rockland. That is another sort of quiet option for a getaway.

Last edited by marciero; 07-13-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:29 PM

Check out proven routes from nerandonneurs.org and crw.org

Restaurants:
BT Smokehouse in Sturbridge
Oysters at at Row 34 in Boston or Island Creek Oysters in Duxbury
Lobster Roll at Raw Bar in Mashpee (if still open then)
Whole Lobster st Chauncey Creek in Kittery, Maine

Brewerys:
Jacks Abby/Springdale in Framingham
Barrel House Z in Weymouth

Non-beer alternative: Wiggly Bridge Distillery in York, Maine

Pats and Red Sox will be playing then

This is a great sting
Old 07-13-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
- El Cortijo in an old diner on Bank St in Burlington for some lively Mexican food.
- A Single Pebble for wonderful Chinese food, also on Bank St.
- The magnificent Breeding Barn at Shelburne Farms was built in 1890 or so and was the largest open span wooden structure in the US until just before WW2.
Fine suggestions here from NHA...!

The Breeding Barn was the largest enclosed space in North America until the Chicago Mercantile Exchange was built. I worked on the renovation concepts. Shelburne Farms also offers dinners at the main house inn, and on a sunny summer evening, it is a sublime and evocative setting.
In Burlington, there are a number of fun places on Pine Street, where its just plain happening. Breweries, ice cream, eateries. City Market has great quick eats, take out too ( I'm partial, though, as the architect of the place).
If passing through my town of Hinesburg, Frost Brewery is a nice stop on a Friday afternoon. They are producing some very nice brew. The bar at the Hinesburg Public House has a very good rotating local selection of beers on draft. The Bristol Bakery branch here in Hinesburg has very good vegetarian take out, for picnics and such. Getting a take out and going to the Charlotte Beach for sunset on a nice night is great.
If you head down to Middlebury, the little city of Vergennes, on the way, has a compact main street with some fine eateries, a brewery, and some good shops.
Middlebury, in addition to its breweries, has the Otter Creek Bakery. Get an olive twist and an orange chocolate chip cookie to go, everything is great.
Speaking of bakeries, the Bristol Bakery in Bristol, Sweet Simone's in Richmond, The Red Hen in Middlesex, are also quite good. If you come across any bread from Elmore Mountain Bakery, grab that too.

We are particularly blessed in Vermont right now with great bakeries, breweries, fromageries (yes, I dragged in a French word) and tons of value added local food products (veggie and meat). Its been just wonderful, and I hope the OP enjoys it thoroughly.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:45 PM

If you are doing Burlington, then I would say definitely give the Champlain Islands a go...great lakeside roads all around and some of the best riding in the area...very safe and little traveled roads as well..a friend of mine rents out cute little cottages here in Grand Isle for about 75 bucks per night which would put you central to everything via the different islands by bike...if you want her number I could dig it up for you...
Old 07-14-2018, 02:18 PM

Great suggestions. Booked all of our nights except for the last three which will be in Mass. We will not be biking this trip, but on the next trip I plan to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyk View Post
Check out proven routes from nerandonneurs.org and crw.org

Restaurants:
BT Smokehouse in Sturbridge
Oysters at at Row 34 in Boston or Island Creek Oysters in Duxbury
Lobster Roll at Raw Bar in Mashpee (if still open then)
Whole Lobster st Chauncey Creek in Kittery, Maine

Brewerys:
Jacks Abby/Springdale in Framingham
Barrel House Z in Weymouth

Non-beer alternative: Wiggly Bridge Distillery in York, Maine

Pats and Red Sox will be playing then

This is a great sting
+1 for BTs. I lived in Texas for a while and this is the closest thing!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
Hey all, my wife and I will be taking a 10-14 day vacation and decided to visit the NE SEPTEMBER 17th-OCTOBER 1st. We are booking the flights but have never been to that part of the country but are very excited for the sight seeing, food culture, beer culture, and exploring. As you know, I am a big beer guy and have picked 8 breweries that I need/want to stop at.

We would love recommendations on comfortable, yet reasonable lodging along the way. Typically AirBnB is the route that I go but want to keep it affordable if possible.

I know many members here live in these three states and am glad that they are close together driving wise. We would love recommendations on places to sight see, hike, restaurants, FRESH SEAFOOD, wine bars, national parks, tours?, etc...we are OPEN to recommendations. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further!

Thanks ahead of time!!!
Don't eat seafood unless you are in Maine, New Bedford, or Rhode Island. Seriously. Places don't have fresh seafood.

Give yourself plenty of time. You can spend days in Vermont. I wouldn't spend days in Boston...go north. If you wanted to spend 3 days in Arcadia along the coast in Maine, then you will love it. The temperature could be starting to drop. It could be 50F, while you are there.

I would skip over much of New Hampshire. Vermont -> Manchester, Woodstock, Burlington, etc. In Mass consider Berkshires.

bill
Old 07-19-2018, 07:48 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Seriously, Bill? That’s a pretty limited list.

If I can’t get fresh seafood here in my hometown, there is something seriously wrong.

Any place coastal should have fresh seafood. It just depends what you are looking for. Lobsters and clams are available fresh along the whole New England Coast. Fish, you need to be in larger cities and towns along the way.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Seriously, Bill? That’s a pretty limited list.

If I can’t get fresh seafood here in my hometown, there is something seriously wrong.

Any place coastal should have fresh seafood. It just depends what you are looking for. Lobsters and clams are available fresh along the whole New England Coast. Fish, you need to be in larger cities and towns along the way.

BK
I do remember walking down to the Cohasset harbor when my parents lived there to pick up seafood from the local fish shack when the family's boats returned. They sold retail and loaded up trucks for delivery to local restaurants. Close to fresh ... the catch did have to travel in from sea. LOL
Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 AM

>>Don't eat seafood unless you are in Maine, New Bedford, or Rhode Island. Seriously. Places don't have fresh seafood.

We live on the ocean and get our seafood from local retail outlet, and cooking this versus going to grocery is pretty substantial. Absolute best is "off the boat" got some scallops from co-op in Chatham MA - they went into the fry pan within 3 hours. They are memerable.

Live seafood, lobsters I don't see difference, since creature meets his maker when entering pot.