Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2018, 10:25 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
If you like financial history, you can check out the Mt. Washington Resort at Bretton Woods which was the site of the eponymous convention that established the world order.
And relevant to what's been happening lately...
Old 07-05-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
Harpoon, Sam Adams, Aeronaut, Downeast, Bantam, Night Shift, to name a few more. Maine Coast is amazing, but don't discount Gloucester and Rockport. Do make sure to skip Cape Cod!
Yes, please do.

Cape Cod Beer Company is a gem.

And our mountain biking, surprisingly, is top notch. Look up Trail of Tears.

We have active road and mountain biking communities here.

A thought. 14 days is barely sufficient to cover all of the targeted geography. Reconsider the breadth versus depth of your trip...a couple of days in a few areas each might be more fulfilling than a whistle stop tour across four or five states and a second country...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 AM

There is also a very good cidery in Stowe VT that is worth a visit since you're there anyway.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

And a Neanderthal inIpswuch, MA.

Thus tour is starting to sound a bit like”Drunk History”

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:43 AM

Sounds like a very good start! I want to fully remember the trip though so stopping at that many breweries would be overload haha.

Our plan is to fly into Boston then actually leave out of Boston as well. We were thinking of staying a few nights in Boston, 3-4 nights in Vermont, 3-5 nights in Maine, then make our way back to Massachusetts.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
My sister lives in the ME "mid-coast" area, so I've been to the Rockport and Camden area quite often and agree that it's a nice place. ME in general has a bunch of interesting things to do, but ironically, the roads didn't strike me as being particularly good for road cycling. (at least the parts I've seen, I haven't yet had a chance to go to Acadia).
While I agree with almost everything Louis posts, the midcoast riding can be pretty awesome. Check out the routes for the Maine Lobster Ride -- a really great coastal century coming up later this month.

I've spent a ton of time in Acadia if you do want to get up that way and would be happy to post suggestions if helpful -- there are a couple of other threads in the forum about the park, where to eat, where to hike, etc.

A couple of splurge restaurants to put on your list if of interest:

Fore Street in Portland ME
Simon Pearce near Woodstock VT (Matt to confirm still good)
Olena in Cambridge MA
Old 07-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
While I agree with almost everything Louis posts, the midcoast riding can be pretty awesome. Check out the routes for the Maine Lobster Ride -- a really great coastal century coming up later this month.
I'll gladly defer to those with more local knowledge. However, the bulk of the "side" roads I seem to remember were pretty narrow, with no shoulder and in generally poor condition, with moderately fast traffic.

I'm sure someone who lived there and had time could find the good ones.

One thing about Maine, it's easy to find the sort of neat "scenic destination" points that make rides enjoyable.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:39 PM

One "finger" of a midcoast or down east maine could eat up good part of the day, so trip planning is a must.

In VT, don't miss going over one of the famous gaps, either in car or bike.

Personally I would spend some time in Stowe then south to Waterbury. Then down route 100, west on Lincoln Gap, then back over Middlebury. Go further down 100 to Weston, down to Londonderry - then over to Grafton, then through Townsend (route 30) to Brattleboro. Add Woodstock to equation above, and good for 3 days

thank me later...

Last edited by buddybikes; 07-05-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

For ME visitors in the area I always recommend the Big Chicken Barn bookstore, especially if you're into reading:

https://www.bigchickenbarn.com/

They're on Rt 1, just south / west of Ellsworth, which is the turnoff for MDI / Acadia NP.

Last edited by Louis; 07-05-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
Simon Pearce near Woodstock VT (Matt to confirm still good)
Still solid, my wife and I got married in their 'loft' space. The restaurant overlooks a dam/waterfall, and a covered bridge. You can see them blowing glass downstairs, and buy it in their retail store. It is in Quechee, VT. Vermont had a hurricane several years ago that caused lots of flooding, and the restaurant lost a lot of a very extensive wine cellar -- so their wine selection is not quite as good as it used to be.

The building is an old mill, with its own hydro electric dam/generator. Pretty impressive actually. Upon further reflection, I'd add it to my list, now that you have brought it up

Old 07-05-2018, 09:11 PM

As Louis recommended, the Camden- Rockport area of mid-coast Maine is worth going to. Belfast, a few miles up is also nice. I remember, years ago when it was a chicken factory town, but has since gotten really pretty.

Rockland, a few miles south of Camden has the Owls Head museum with lots of old cars and planes. I was there a few years ago and saw an old Serotta track bike on display. Not sure of the connection, but believe that Kelly Bedford's brother was manager of the place.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

For hiking, if the OP wants to do part of a "famous" route, there's always the Appalachian Trail.

It goes right through Hanover, NH, so you could go there and harass Matt...

Old 07-05-2018, 09:51 PM
Administrator

this thread is pure gold.

lots of good recs i havent considered myself.

following.

my grand plan thread still to come by the way.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:20 PM

Narrow gauge

If you have any interest in history and/or trains, in the Midcoast region the Wiscasset narrow gauge museum is really great with restored steam locomotives. Also it’s right near the Oxbow brewery! http://wwfry.org/

Last edited by David in Maine; 07-05-2018 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Link added
Old 07-06-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
If you have any interest in history and/or trains, in the Midcoast region the Wiscasset narrow gauge museum is really great with restored steam locomotives. Also it’s right near the Oxbow brewery! http://wwfry.org/
+1 on Oxbow brewery/farm in Newcastle, ME. A friend's son co-founded Oxbow and they do brew a fine product. Down the road don't miss the Shuck Station for raw oysters - Pemaquids right out of the river and more local brews to go with them. Split Rock Distillery is also an interesting stop in Newcastle if you like small lot vodka, gin, or bourbon. Damariscotta river and lots of Maine coast line all very close.

Boston: As a transplant to New England, I found the "Freedom Trial" in Boston to be a touristy nightmare, but a worthwhile stroll that helps connect many pieces of history in a spatial way that reading/study does not - basically finding remnants of a village in the middle of a busy city. The Boston Public Garden is a nice place to retreat from buildings and concrete. A leisurely swan boat ride is something worth doing at least once - SBoat season usually ends mid-Sept so OP may miss the cut-off. Finger food (or prime dining) - Quincy Market/North End - is plentiful along the red-lined route that marks the trail. Best to grab a quick bite from one of the food vendors, wander through some of the shops in the market, tip a street entertainer or two and keep moving along the red line. When arriving in the North End (Little Italy) it's time to eat - plan to eat early or wait in lines for table space. End to end the freedom trail can fill a full day and make you look forward to getting off your feet. While at Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market pick up discounted theater tickets (BosTix booth) for an evening performance in the theater district. The Museum of Fine Arts is superb for art/culture - same for the Stuart Gardner museum.

Cape Cod is frustratingly dense with tourists but not so much in mid/late Sept. The canal is interesting and can be included in a reasonably quiet cycling route tying Falmouth, Bourne, Sandwich, and Mashpee together in a 50/60 mile loop. The Woods Hole ferry to Oak Bluffs is scenic and makes for another nice 50 mile loop on the island if riding is an objective. The island will be quiet in Sept. Don't miss Lookout Tavern in Oak Bluffs for a post-ride sautéed lobster roll, some sashimi, and a Lookout Lager. Have had many lobster rolls in my life and the Lookout sautéed version is one I always look forward to. The ride is just an excuse to stop at Lookout.

If traversing VT>NH>ME ("can't get there from here" is a ME saying that does apply to this route) a day hike of Mt. Washington is an enjoyable way to get some exercise and get a terrific view. You can drive up the Mtn, but I wouldn't/haven't. The Omni/Bretton Woods resort is a great suggestion if the OP is in the area - especially if have Select Guest rewards banked.

A casual ride through the Acadia carriage paths makes for a relaxing but very enjoyable day. Spectacular scenery. Bike shops in the area but I've never rented so no experience.

The Dempsey Challenge century out of Lewiston, ME takes place on Sept 30. Would give the OP a good feel for the western Maine/lakes region up close and personal. Maybe too tight a schedule for return to PNW.

Every recommendation posted is a good one. 14 days is going to go "bye" quickly...