Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Don't take my survivalist/prepper comment too far. When you go to amateur radio meetings you see mostly either guys/couples in their sixties or guys in their forties with big beards, big bellies, lots of camo, and pickups with 10-12 inches of lift, brushwhackers, and festooned with antennas. They still do a good thing for events like your MTB racing and search and rescue.

The distance and tech thing merge in a great area with ultra-low-power communications. The equipment is inexpensive because you're only working with power ranging from less than a watt to perhaps ten watts. You can make most of it yourself. It's more often still key rather than voice, so you can have fun with some of the amazing keys and keyers out there. And the whole point is to learn atmospherics and optimum transmission and reception so you can reach someone in Europe with a watt. Sometimes you can go days without reaching your next door neighbor, but tweaking your system and sometimes going to hilltops at night and stringing a long wire (or just hunkering down at home on a winter night) will give you a cluster of conversations with people all over Europe, Africa, wherever. With your background, you might look into it. It's not the stuff of most typical amateur radio meetings, but there are always people around who are into it and you get the most respect out of anything you can do in amateur radio.
Sounds super cool...might have to check it out in future for a new hobby.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:57 PM
Epic=No Smiles

I don't know if I'm an amateur radio nut, but I have a technician license and chat on the local repeater every now and again.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post
cq, cq, this is w9gfo. Is anybody out there?

william
k9smw
Old 07-19-2018, 03:52 PM

kc3lvh is on the air and listening. I passed the technician and general exam and just got my call sign today.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
kc3lvh is on the air and listening. I passed the technician and general exam and just got my call sign today.
Congrats!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Congratulations on passing the exams and receiving your callsign. Enjoy your new privileges.

Look into aprs - some v/u handheld radios can be programmed to send the location packets automatically. Can be really useful if you ride mtb off the beaten trails.

There are lots of good folks in ham radio, just like in cycling - in my experience anyway.