Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 01:43 PM
#RYFB

Identifying Campy cassettes

I was certain that this topic had been covered but, if so, I've been unable to unearth the thread.

I know that in general one can distinguish between upper and lower level cassettes by the number of individual cogs versus those on a carrier, but is there a method for differentiating among the upper levels?

Let's initially restrict ourselves to 11 speed. Is it even possible to determine whether this 11-25 I'm holding is Chorus, Record, or SR, and, if so, how?

My question also applies to 10 speed but for now I'll be satisfied with an answer on 11. Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I was certain that this topic had been covered but, if so, I've been unable to unearth the thread.

I know that in general one can distinguish between upper and lower level cassettes by the number of individual cogs versus those on a carrier, but is there a method for differentiating among the upper levels?

Let's initially restrict ourselves to 11 speed. Is it even possible to determine whether this 11-25 I'm holding is Chorus, Record, or SR, and, if so, how?

My question also applies to 10 speed but for now I'll be satisfied with an answer on 11. Thanks
My understanding:

Chorus - all steel, with lots of drilling and two carriers
Record - biggest cogs are titanium, rest are steel
Super Record - all cogs are titanium

I'm more confused about 10-speed and identifying Chorus vs. Record vs. Centaur/Veloce.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM

I can't say for 11s. But I've ridden Veloce through Record in 10s (and yes, Record with the ti cogs was a waste of money).

Centaur and up have a more grey finish on the steel cogs. Centaur has one set of cogs, the biggest 2 or 3, pinned. Chorus has multiple sets pinned, I think as many as 3 sets of cogs (and I think up to 6 cogs total).

Record would have the same number of cogs pinned as Chorus, but the ti cogs are brighter silver than the steel ones. If you somehow got the top half of a Record cassette vs the top half of a Chorus ... I have no idea how to differentiate. I have a feeling that the steel parts were exactly the same between the top 2 groups. Less sure if the steel bits on the Centaur cassettes shared the same manufacturing and finishing process as Chorus/Record, but they did look pretty similar.

Veloce is completely loose and the finish looked more rough. But for my money, it shifted and wore about as well as the higher level stuff, and I was completely comfortable riding Veloce cogs on the otherwise all Record and Chorus drivetrain. Furthermore, Veloce cassettes didn't notch the freehub body despite being all loose.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:39 PM

11 speed:

Super Record: Largest 6 sprockets titanium; largest 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

Record: Largest 3 sprockets titanium; largest 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

Chorus: All sprockets nickel plates steel; largest 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

All others: All sprockets steel; largest 3 sprockets riveted to spiders

10spd

Record Ti: All sprockets titanium (except 11 tooth); largest 4 or 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

Record: Largest 4 sprocket titanium; largest 4 or 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

Chorus: All sprocket nickel plated steel; largest 4 or 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

Centaur: All sprockets steel; largest 2 sprockets riveted to spiders

Veloce: All sprockets steel; all sprockets separate

Notes: Nickel plated steel sprockets are a white-ish silver, galvanized steel sprockets are a greyish silver, titanium sprockets are a yellowish silver. Steel sprockets are strongly attracted to magnets, titanium sprockets are not attracted to magnets. For Record/Chorus 10spd cassettes, 12-23 and smaller cassettes have 4 sprockets on spiders, larger cassettes have 6 sprockets on spiders.

Last edited by Mark McM; 07-18-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
...Furthermore, Veloce cassettes didn't notch the freehub body despite being all loose.
Interesting observation. I've wondered about this.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Furthermore, Veloce cassettes didn't notch the freehub body despite being all loose.
Because no one putting out real power rode them...amiright?

/sarcasm
Old 07-18-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
11 speed:

Super Record: Largest 6 sprockets titanium; largest 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

Record: Largest 3 sprockets titanium; largest 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

Chorus: All sprockets nickel plates steel; largest 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

All others: All sprockets steel; largest 3 sprockets riveted to spiders

10spd

Record Ti: All sprockets titanium (except 11 tooth); largest 4 or 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

Record: Largest 4 sprocket titanium; largest 4 or 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

Chorus: All sprocket nickel plated steel; largest 4 or 6 sprockets riveted to spiders

Centaur: All sprockets steel; largest 2 sprockets riveted to spiders

Veloce: All sprockets steel; all sprockets separate

Notes: Nickel plated steel sprockets are a white-ish silver, galvanized steel sprockets are a greyish silver, titanium sprockets are a yellowish silver. Steel sprockets are strongly attracted to magnets, titanium sprockets are not attracted to magnets. For Record/Chorus 10spd cassettes, 12-23 and smaller cassettes have 4 sprockets on spiders, larger cassettes have 6 sprockets on spiders.
There was one additional variant (sorry, had to be that guy)--for one year, Centaur 10 speed came as all loose sprockets--no carriers. I was sent one and complained, thinking the box had been switched, but in fact it was Centaur (w. the slightly different finish).
Old 07-18-2018, 06:28 PM

If you get a 10's cassette, make sure you keep the little pamphlet that comes with it...showing where the spacers go. 3 different widths on the loose cog ones....Veloce and Loose cog Centaur (1.6 MM, 2.55 MM, 2.4MM). And he ones with carriers....the spacer before a carrier is different from any of the loose cog cassettes.

On the Centaur with top 2 cogs pinned together....3.05 MM spacer before the cog.

And the recent 10's 12-27 and 12-30 "Centaur" cassettes had the top three cogs pinned together on a carrier. Also....they had same 2.5 MM space thru out.

I keep the pamphlets/directions for use for all these. Have one for Chorus/Record also.

Last edited by Ralph; 07-18-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

Is it correct to say that Centaur, Chorus, and Record 10s cassettes all had nickel plated steel sprockets, and Veloce had galvanized steel?

Then, I think that for 11s cassettes, H11 (i.e. Centaur and Potenza) and Chorus-SR all have nickel plated steel (insofar as they have steel cogs).
Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 AM
Everything is connected

Good info about Campag 10-speed freehubs and cassettes.

https://branfordbike.com/new-page-1
Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
My understanding:

Chorus - all steel, with lots of drilling and two carriers
Record - biggest cogs are titanium, rest are steel
Super Record - all cogs are titanium

I'm more confused about 10-speed and identifying Chorus vs. Record vs. Centaur/Veloce.
11s..AND 12s
Chorus, all steel.
Record, last 3 are ti.
SR, last 6 are ti

10s
Chorus/Centaur/Athena/Veloce-all steel
Record-last 4 titanium
There was an all ti Record 10s cogset..for info

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-19-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
If you get a 10's cassette, make sure you keep the little pamphlet that comes with it...showing where the spacers go. 3 different widths on the loose cog ones....Veloce and Loose cog Centaur (1.6 MM, 2.55 MM, 2.4MM). And he ones with carriers....the spacer before a carrier is different from any of the loose cog cassettes.

On the Centaur with top 2 cogs pinned together....3.05 MM spacer before the cog.

And the recent 10's 12-27 and 12-30 "Centaur" cassettes had the top three cogs pinned together on a carrier. Also....they had same 2.5 MM space thru out.

I keep the pamphlets/directions for use for all these. Have one for Chorus/Record also.
Good to know, thanks! I've been casually stockpiling 10S Chorus cassettes over the years, didn't know that the spacers vary. I think I may actually have a new one in a box somewhere, will take a look...then I will have to examine the installed cassettes to see where I deviated from the instructions.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-19-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Good to know, thanks! I've been casually stockpiling 10S Chorus cassettes over the years, didn't know that the spacers vary. I think I may actually have a new one in a box somewhere, will take a look...then I will have to examine the installed cassettes to see where I deviated from the instructions.
If you mixed up the spacers, most likely your shifting will be off!
Old 07-19-2018, 03:50 PM

Easiest way to tell the difference? Use them. First to wear out is the Super Record.