Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
FWIW - back in the day I did destructive testing on most every brand out there and Litespeed was one of them. They tended to fail at lower loads and lower cycle counts than the other high end Ti bikes out there and they were inconsistent from bike to bike. After failure I'd cut them up and look inside and all too many showed signs of overheating, lack of purge, or both. Shiny on the outside burned on the inside.

My guess is if you could see inside that tube that you'd find it badly discolored and covered with white dust. Not good.

I'd pass on this for sure. Life's too short to go looking for things that waste your time.

dave
I got a Litespeed in 94 and it took some work to assemble. The BB shell threads needed a lot of work, the seat tube was slightly undersized as well, that took about an hour to fix. The headset was easy and the RD hanger threads were good. Contrast that to a Merlin I put together for a friend, stuff just threaded in and the seatpost was properly snug. From what I recall, there was about a grand difference in price between a Litespeed and a Merlin.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:17 PM

Im amaze, the frame is toasted and they list a BIN for almost 500 bucks, like if fixing that was like 10 bucks, even if in good condition... we are talking about a really old frame that will cost what a really old frame cost, 80 bucks maybe in working condition?

Unless you get the stuff for almost nothing (or just plain free) doesnt worth the time and efford to get frames like that fixed. Unless there is another reason behind considering it...

That frame won't sell unless somebody needs a 1 inch fork?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:58 PM

Last edited by RoadWhale; 07-19-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Life's too short to go looking for things that waste your time.

dave

Dave, are you hiring? . . . . asking for a friend.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Im amaze, the frame is toasted and they list a BIN for almost 500 bucks, like if fixing that was like 10 bucks, even if in good condition... we are talking about a really old frame that will cost what a really old frame cost, 80 bucks maybe in working condition?

Unless you get the stuff for almost nothing (or just plain free) doesnt worth the time and efford to get frames like that fixed. Unless there is another reason behind considering it...

That frame won't sell unless somebody needs a 1 inch fork?
Titanium bikes have a lot of delusional sellers.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:30 PM

no, hell no, fack no...
Old 07-18-2018, 08:17 PM

If someone gave me that, I'd weld it back together and go ride. I wouldn't pay a dime for it though and I wouldn't be shocked if it cracked again. I sure as hell wouldn't pay someone else to fix it.

Steels are Alloys too!

Last edited by FriarQuade; 07-18-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:11 AM

At least with carbon and if you are somehow crafted that thing could be fixed at home (easier to say than do it), but Titanium? That's something else....

Even in steel, the cost of the frame vs the cost of the repair are a good step back at the time to consider a busted frame.

And if we go to old bikes in good condition, is the same situation, cost of the restoration vs cost of the bike and again we get to the same point, "if you dont get the item for the right price dont worth your time and money to get into a money pit in which you wont get even a half of the money back in a future time".

Thats one of the reasons market is so soft aswell.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Dave, are you hiring? . . . . asking for a friend.
Hiring? Maybe....can you....I mean your friend....build frames so that I can ride all day everyday?

dave
Old 07-21-2018, 12:18 AM

Update: Frame Sold!

It was NOT me!

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and sound advice.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Hiring? Maybe....can you....I mean your friend....build frames so that I can ride all day everyday?

dave
Old 07-21-2018, 06:50 AM

And owners, especially Litespeed. There's a ti frame aura of invincibility Can't tell you how many folks I encounter with roached 9 speed ultegra on a Litespeed that look at you like they were blindsided by Bernie Madoff when you tell them their octalink triple BB has croaked. B B B But it's a Lightspeed they'll say. Litespeed may have built some mediocre ti bikes but they won the marketing game, folks believe they were a lifetime bike... 1 inch carbon forks be dammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Titanium bikes have a lot of delusional sellers.