Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 06:17 PM

I’d go with global. They are light and have a nice handle.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:26 PM

Disappointed with my Shun santoku...not enough weight, fragile edge, Damascus looks cool though.

Fine with my Henkels Pro-S...had it forever, plenty durable, workhorse. But I prefer the extra curvature of the Wusthof blade shape.

LOVE my Global. Don't think twice...get one and be done.

Last edited by dookie; 12-08-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:30 PM

I just go to a restaurant supply store and get the knives they have. I have also bought spatulas etc. there. They have Victorinox knives with plain black handles. I bought my Chef knife, paring knives, deboning and bread knife a few decades ago. I have no complaints.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:45 PM

Found this seller on eBay years ago and have been very happy with their service. No need to go down a deep rabbit hole, a shallow one will do. They're having a sale right now, too:

https://jp-knives.com/holiday-sale-2019/

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2019, 06:51 PM

A lovely gift idea, but I agree that it is personal, so a place that does returns might be a good idea..

A good knife should last a good long time--I bought my 8" Henckels when they were pretty much the only game in town (1975-ish), and it is still usable--nearly a lifetime which is what the sales guy said at the time. Carbon steel, riveted (Bakelite? Plastic?) handle--it's the Trek of the knife world

The rivets are corroded (and one will be lost sometime in the next while--lots of citrus chopping over the years) but it will still hold an edge. Always hand washed, occasionally sharpened by pros, and touched up by me...

Last edited by paredown; 12-09-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:07 PM

Thanks!

Some great thoughts, advice, and suggestions. A few blew past the rabbit hole and shot straight into the briar patch. A friend is into custom knives so I knew it could take up as much time and research...... and money that I wanted to put into it.

Probably go with the Wusthof, solid quality with consistent recommendations and not getting Campagnolo expensive. The Ken Onion sharpener is also going under the tree. Thanks for that suggestion.

By the way, I did get her The Peleton. Are you suggesting I should return it?
Old 12-08-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Some great thoughts, advice, and suggestions. A few blew past the rabbit hole and shot straight into the briar patch. A friend is into custom knives so I knew it could take up as much time and research...... and money that I wanted to put into it.

Probably go with the Wusthof, solid quality with consistent recommendations and not getting Campagnolo expensive. The Ken Onion sharpener is also going under the tree. Thanks for that suggestion.

By the way, I did get her The Peleton. Are you suggesting I should return it?
Well... waiting for Old Potatoe to chime in here, but I'm guessing he would say yes, exchange the Peleton for a Peloton! The Peleton is surely a Chinese knock off.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
20 years ago my sister gave me a set of Henkel knives. The set was prob about $100. The handles started to break apart so we went shopping for a new chef and boning knife a few years ago and splurged on the Shun brand. Think the Chef knife was about $200. You can still go a lot more expensive.

I have a set of Zwilling J.A. Henckels with wooden handles that have been great - at least 40 years old. Might have been better made then.

They were a lot more than $100.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2019, 07:35 PM

Thanks Dave in Maine. I have an 8" Lamson, and just ordered a bread knife tonight matching.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
If it’s a chefs knife I highly recommend a Sabatier Carbon Steel chefs knife.

We have both Carbon steel sabatier chefs and Vintage stainless sabatier chefs among other various Japanese carbon steel etc.

The sabatier is affordable, keeps a good edge and has a great handle.

Bernalcutlery.com is a great place and I’m sure they’ll assist over the phone.

But first thing—right or left handed? If left handed your options are limited.
+1

Have purchased many knives over the years - block is full of them. The one I reach for 90% of the time is a 50+ year old Sabatier 8" chefs. A little less weight than the Wusthofs and Henckels - but perfect balance and feels more nimble. Blade is slightly thinner. The spine narrows nicely from handle to the tip, as does the bolster, so the heel cuts almost like a Japanese style blade without a bolster. Holds a razor edge. My stepfather was a foodie and my mother thought this was one of his older knives, so she tossed it in my off-to-college box. He was pissed but never did ask for it back. To this day it is still my favorite chefs knife because of the thinner blade and weighting.

Last edited by sitzmark; 12-08-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Without going down too far into the rabbit hole, I could use some advice on a quality 8” chef knife. I’ve been looking at the Wustolf Classic but wondering if I’m paying more for the name and if there’s better options known by those in the know. This will be a Christmas gift for my wife who loves to cook and will be replacing an old inexpensive chef knife. Whatever the he brand we will probably stick with that and slowly build up a complete set.
I have had a full block of Wustolf Classic since the late 80s. They are work horse knifes for sure. That said, I strongly prefer and use my Shun and Global knives on a regular basis.

This is the knife I recently gifted my brother in law chef in Boston. He loves it. He takes it to work.

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/kanso-8-in-chef

Japanese knives have a better blade angle. Generally 20 degrees, vs 28 degrees. Simply a nice edge.

I also really prefer knives like this one that have an angled bolster. I have found the hand feel is so much better with knives of this design.

I picked this one out because it is meant to be a simple knife with no extra adornment and it was for a professional chef. Any quality Japanese 8" Chef's knife with an angled bolster and a grip that suits your preferences, will likely be fine. Shun makes great knives so I stand behind most of their lines. From a handle perspective, there tends to be the Euro style like the Wustolf Classic and Japanese style, but some brands like MAC, do make Japanese knives with a Euro style handle if that is your preference.

Finally, by all means get a set if you like, however a 8" Chefs knife and a great paring knife go a long way. Serrated knives for example can be of lesser quality and you do not really lose anything.

Another recommend, while not strictly 8", this is the knife (Global G-4) I recommend to people getting started in cooking more seriously who want a good knife at a reasonable price. It is a great and well balanced knife and value for the cost. I have been using one in my mix for about 20 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Global-G-4-7-.../dp/B00005OL45

Finally, if you get serious, get a Whetstone. I have seen too many knives butchered in sharpening by even reputable shops and I no longer trust my knives to anything other than my stone. Once in a great while I use the stone and maintain with the honing steel.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
I think you should get her a Peloton.
haha
Old 12-08-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
They may have to get in line.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:18 PM

Victornox Fibrox Pro, very reasonable, easy to keep super sharp, and great overall chef's knife. It's been highly tested for years
Old 12-08-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Without going down too far into the rabbit hole, I could use some advice on a quality 8” chef knife. I’ve been looking at the Wustolf Classic but wondering if I’m paying more for the name and if there’s better options known by those in the know. This will be a Christmas gift for my wife who loves to cook and will be replacing an old inexpensive chef knife. Whatever the he brand we will probably stick with that and slowly build up a complete set.
Brush up on the steel terminology, it won't take long.

My Global 8" Chef knife was a gift to myself when I took on cooking seriously. That was in 1998. And I used it to make Doro Wat, today. I only sharpen it a couple of or, three times a year, and always have to remind my wife or guests to take care. With a 10k grit stone I can get it surgically sharp without an effort.

I gave my wife a much more expensive Damascus steel Shun, which impresses everyone, and lives up to its price, but I still use the Global when I am in the zone and moving fast.