Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 02:55 PM

My 15 year old told me she wants a flip phone instead of her iPhone yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
[/B]

Get a flip phone.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:22 PM

Feb 24, 2011. My first and so far only. Same as my business logo.

I've thought of others, but nothing has stuck with me long enough.

Advice to anyone considering a tat:
(1) Make it your own design. Doesn't mean you have to draw it, just make the concept yours.
(2) Print it out full size and put it somewhere you will see it every day, like a bathroom mirror.
(3) If after a year of seeing it every day, you still like it and it still means as much to you as the day it was conceived, then go ahead.

This will be my requirements to my young daughter if she says she wants one. I won't say "no", especially since both her mom and I have them...
Old 12-10-2019, 03:34 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Retired Navy as well. Zero interest
I got scars. Earned those.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:45 PM

I was thinking about getting a traditional Sak Yant tattoo when I was in Chiang Mai last month, but then I didn't...
I still think of getting a Japanese Enso from time to time, but then I don't....

All this appeals to me in an 'almost nearly, but not quite hardly' kind of way...

Last edited by OtayBW; 12-10-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Evolving Tastes

I paint and draw, have most of my life and I have drawings and sketches decades old.

My tastes vary and change over time. Looking back at some of my old work, it still resonates, some if it not so much, I wouldn't want it on my skin.

Being into art, I really like tattoos and have read much about them. I have a niece with a few too. I just couldn't commit to one thing forever myself.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
I have a few on my shoulders, back and ankle. All are completely covered in regular office wear, although it wouldn't be an issue at my current job anyways. Each has a story and personal significance so I don't have any regrets, although one is a bit larger than I would prefer if I were to do it over.

I was thinking about getting one for my 50th birthday, which was a couple of months ago. I couldn't nail down a final design so I chose not to get anything done rather than have one that I wasn't whole-heartedly into. I might get another at some point, but not sure if it will all come together.

I was reading an article about how tattoos are so prevalent in all walks of society now that a lot of teens consider them something that old people do and don't have an interest in them. I guess all things really do come in and out of fashion. I wonder what today's 15 year-olds will do to show they're rebellious and edgy.
Crew cuts and suspenders?
Old 12-10-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
Feb 24, 2011. My first and so far only. Same as my business logo.

I've thought of others, but nothing has stuck with me long enough.

Advice to anyone considering a tat:
(1) Make it your own design. Doesn't mean you have to draw it, just make the concept yours.
(2) Print it out full size and put it somewhere you will see it every day, like a bathroom mirror.
(3) If after a year of seeing it every day, you still like it and it still means as much to you as the day it was conceived, then go ahead.

This will be my requirements to my young daughter if she says she wants one. I won't say "no", especially since both her mom and I have them...
What business are you in? IT looks cool. If I had to guess you would be in a metal band
Old 12-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
What business are you in? IT looks cool. If I had to guess you would be in a metal band
Bike frame builder/owner of Mjolnir Cycles. I have that on every frame as a headbadge.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I guess all things really do come in and out of fashion. I wonder what today's 15 year-olds will do to show they're rebellious and edgy.
One word.........overalls

Old 12-10-2019, 05:50 PM

None, I can hold my liquor.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:53 PM

I have a small lizard tattoo above my left ankle. Got it 30+ years ago. No regrets or regerts.

Maybe I'll get a red Sram frog on the other side

No desire for painting a large canvas, but I do appreciate the art.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Boeuf Chane

Somewhere on this forum I've posted an image of my cycling-related tattoo, but for some reason I can't find it. I think I have it saved on a different computer - when I'm at that machine later I'll check.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:13 PM
the Central Scrutinizer

People with tattoos are more likely to commit violent crimes, statistically speaking.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:20 PM

This is in memory of the life my late grandfather lived. It's on my inner left bicep (closest to the heart). Loosely translated, it means "One must carry on and push through".

He was orphaned (and lost brothers and sisters) in his childhood years while running from the Nazi's (Russian front). Orphanages for Jewish kids in Russia, post WW2... not a pleasant place. He always worked hard, bettered himself, became an engineer in the Soviet army. Migrated here to Australia in 1979 with his wife and two kids. Was diagnosed with Leukemia and given 6 months. Lived 12 years after that. They don't build them like him anymore.

The most generous, loving and strong person I have or will ever meet. The phrase is written on his gravestone. It was his motto for life. I was lucky to have him as a father figure until my early 30's. I got it done on the first birthday (of his) after his passing, because it's in memory of his life - not his death.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
"...I wonder what today's 15 year-olds will do to show they're rebellious and edgy..."
Plaid. The future of rebellion is very likely to be clad in plaid.