Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 01:01 PM

OT: Anyone live in an A-frame house?

I have always been intrigued by A-frame homes. Friends of ours have an A-frame cabin up north, and while I love going there, I'm not sure what it would be like to live in one all the time. Great for snow, wind and harsh weather (I have heard), but tough to utilize all that angled space. I believe they used to be cold, but spray foam insulation has remedied much of that.

Any real world experience?

Old 11-20-2019, 01:08 PM

my grandparents had a cabin i stayed in a lot. I love everything about it. I really liked sleeping in the loft.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
my grandparents had a cabin i stayed in a lot. I love everything about it. I really liked sleeping in the loft.
After university I also lived in an A-frame home, but only for a couple of months. The bed was wedged in the corner, with the steep pitched roof slanting above me. LOVED it. So cozy.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:27 PM

Spent many a Swiss vacation in one owned by some close family friends. Initially I thought the necessary interior layout was awkward, but it all proved extremely functional and definitely grew on me. Easy to clean and maintain relative to a traditional house I was told. Still remember waking up, taking a quick sauna followed by a run through the snow to jump in an ice cold lake.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:41 PM

I grew up in an A-frame. The front of the house was mostly glass, so it felt very open to the outdoors. This created a nice feel, but it wasn't the most practical. There was a lot of space that was difficult to make good use of.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slmo View Post
I grew up in an A-frame. The front of the house was mostly glass, so it felt very open to the outdoors. This created a nice feel, but it wasn't the most practical. There was a lot of space that was difficult to make good use of.
From an architectural perspective, an emotional attachment to a building typology is often as strong as any practical validation - the heart loves what it loves. The A Frame has a vernacular that has been used throughout the world because it is cost effective, simple and creates intimate space, but the reality is that the spaces are often not very functional and people struggle to standardize space with vertical walls so they can store things, create sleeping areas etc. Those things all eat into the cool A-frameness of an A-frame, thereby making me wonder if there's a point?

I too think they're cool in many ways, but from a practical perspective, I wouldn't design one with the form being the primary driver.

signed,

Bjark Ingels
Old 11-20-2019, 09:38 PM
AZ Slowpoke

A frames, particularly loft style ones, can be difficult to heat. Heat rises so the peak and loft can get quite warm while the living space below, with all that glass, can be somewhat colder. This is why the wood stove is in that space, to take advantage of the direct radiant heating.

Another issue in snow country is that the snow comes off so efficiency that piles up on the sides. If ventilation and waterproofing hasn't been properly handled they can be a problem.

Structurally they are very simple and for that reason can be inexpensive, or relatively so.

Many people love these homes. They can be quite cozy while at the same time have impressive volume. And, as noted above, they really bring the feel out the outdoors in.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:07 AM

need to talk to Paceliner adampaiva: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...5&postcount=20

Old 11-21-2019, 08:03 PM

Drool...
Old 11-22-2019, 01:29 AM

I've lived in one for 10 years and most of the advice here is very accurate. Mine happens to be very energy efficient, but that's just due to the original construction.

The biggest challenge is the interior layout. You're in trouble if you read a lot and need shelving. As others mentioned, room layout can be a bit limiting.

Were I to do it again, I'd choose a more traditional home as a primary residence, but this one has served us well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04884.jpg (136.4 KB, 297 views)
Old 11-22-2019, 03:12 AM

Some interior shots would be nice...

SPP
Old 11-22-2019, 05:40 AM

OT: Anyone live in an A-frame house?

My log cabin in the Adirondack Park. It insulates better than my regular home and is heated with a gravity fed pellet stove, wood stove and a small baseboard heater in the downstairs bedroom and bathroom. The upstairs bedroom and loft are always toasty warm. It is also around 1700sq ft of space.

It is on a slab so if there is too much snow build up without removal it can be a problem if the ground is still frozen while the snow is melting as the water won’t have anywhere to go. Aside from that it is relatively low maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 11-22-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:10 AM

Slight thread drift here - please do tell us about the gravity fed (no electricity required?) pellet stove!
Old 11-22-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Slight thread drift here - please do tell us about the gravity fed (no electricity required?) pellet stove!

Essentially the hopper feeds the pellets and as they burn in the chamber it drops more down requiring no moving parts or electricity. Super efficient and power outage proof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
need to talk to Paceliner adampaiva: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...5&postcount=20

Ha.
Saw the thread topic and came in here to post just that. This is my A-frame cabin in the Catskills in upstate NY. I LIVE in Brooklyn, so this is just a weekend place for me so that makes it much more forgiving for many of the peculiarities of an A-frame. Mine is small, about 600 sq ft in plan plus a half floor sleeping loft. Yes there is unusable space and yes it can be challenging to lay things out perfectly. Is it worth it? For me absolutely yes.
Mine was a hunting cabin built late 70s, I bought it after it sat vacant for five years and it was in habitable but pretty rough condition. I've been slowly modernizing it over the last 3.5 years. The exterior, aside from the new roof,will get new siding next year. I've replaced and added all the windows and a new glass door. Redid 75% of the interior but still lots to do and loose ends to tackle inside. Here's some interiors, before and afters, and progress photos.