Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 08:45 AM

OT: Klamath Falls, Oregon info

My wife and I are doing some preliminary research on a potential relocation to occur in roughly two years. Klamath Falls is one possible location. Does anyone here live in or near Klamath Falls, or have significant familiarity with the area, and is willing to provide us with some community information? We see there is a 100+ mile rail trail and large lake for our other interest in kayaking. Plus, Crater Lake is nearby.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Subscribing.

I don’t have any info but at the moment I have a large chance of also moving there in June of 2020. I would also like to have some info and maybe a scene report on the job market for a college grad who’s been a bike messenger for the last 10 years?

I know... might be slim pickins
Old 08-06-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semdoug View Post
My wife and I are doing some preliminary research on a potential relocation to occur in roughly two years. Klamath Falls is one possible location. Does anyone here live in or near Klamath Falls, or have significant familiarity with the area, and is willing to provide us with some community information? We see there is a 100+ mile rail trail and large lake for our other interest in kayaking. Plus, Crater Lake is nearby.
Thanks
I can try and give you as much info as we have, but all the info comes from the medical director of the hospital just out of town and obviously they’re recruiting so who knows what it’s REALLY like.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:34 AM

I visited a few years ago when a friend was thinking about doing a program at OIT. Honestly it seemed dismal. About as redneck as it gets, dudes at the bar talking about ammunition loading practices. I got a strong ‘survivalist nut’ vibe.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:48 AM
This space left blank

My info is a bit old. I lived there from 1977-1981, going to school at OIT.

Klamath lake is indeed very large in acreage but being consumed by algae growth.

https://www.heraldandnews.com/news/l...b0d4fd246.html

A small war over who gets the water that's there. It's been going for many years with no resolution in sight:

https://www.capitalpress.com/state/c...980064c3a.html

The average depth when I lived there was 36". The section near the boat launch has been dredged some years ago.

Climate is indeed high desert. The elevation is noteworthy at 4000'. Winters are cold but dry, somewhat like Colorado.

The area is very isolated from any other large-ish town. Medford/Ashland is the closest and it's over the mountain a fair bit. Bend is 120 miles north.

The Air Force base was still there when I was, now closed. There were a decent number of retired military who liked the outdoorsy aspect there.

In the 70's there was the Klamath Lake Road race that went around the lake, 88 miles. The border road (Finley Wildlife Refuge) was used a couple times for the Oregon TT championship. Lots of open flat riding south of town to the border and beyond (Doris or Merrill). The roads west were scenic but little to no shoulder (66 especially).

The town can be pretty depressing. It had a large amount of suicides and alcohol issues. Perhaps that has changed but the basics of it being isolate and the climate can't be modified. Quote from 2018 Hearld & News article:

"Suicide rates in Oregon are higher than the national average and are higher in Klamath County than Oregon"

The original OIT (OTI at the time) campus was bulldozed and a development of nicer, larger homes built over it. Turns out there's some serious soil contamination issues. It appears that has been resolved as of last year:

https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Vi...498360091.html

I lived in 10 different towns in Oregon over 51 years. K.F. would be at the bottom of the list for me.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:19 AM

Wasfast has much more knowledge than I.

I was just up there over the 4th and where I stayed it was lovely. It was about 5 miles outside town. I was on the way to Bend so only stayed 1 night. On the way outta town, I decided to drive thru town and get gas. Wow. I can see the kinda rednecky parts. Definitely not gentrified but also saw lots of families around town. Not sure if place is undergoing a change. It is a bit isolated as mentioned above.

The last time I was there, I was vacationing with my dad. Unfortunately, we did have to visit the ER. I have to say, they were the nicest set of folks who seemed really caring. I can't speak to their skill but at least their attitude was great.

Best of luck..
Old 08-06-2019, 10:28 AM

one beautiful day on the bike

out of Crater to this resort on the western side of the lake. Things got a little hairy on the hwy but the bulk of the miles were breathtaking:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Crat...97!2d42.277095
Old 08-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Looks like some of these comments have confirmed our suspicions and explain why home prices seem so reasonable.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:53 PM

Its sort of the middle of nowhere, and im in grants pass, which is 2 hours fomr there. the fishing in the area is amazing if you are into that. the riding is top notch. the nightlife doesnt exist. neither does good food.

Southern Oregon is an odd area, but ive come to love it anyway.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:54 PM

A Rogue River steelhead on a fly rod is one of my life long dreams. We may have to give Grants Pass a look.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
A Rogue River steelhead on a fly rod is one of my life long dreams. We may have to give Grants Pass a look.
I was really hoping I’d have a friend in Klamath though
Old 08-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
klamath river also has steelhead and the wood and williamson have trout nearly as large as steelhead. I love grants pass, but ill admit, the area is not for everyone. we do have vineyards and food at least, and a decent live music scene. but theres something about living in former logger country that just feels, oh so wild west and adorable, in a very annoying sort of way.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:15 PM

I'm up the road a piece in Eugene and can attest to the middle of nowhere and redneck (not that there's anything wrong with that) claims made by others in this thread. Might be worth looking into other areas outside some of the bigger towns in Oregon for that close-in country vibe (but I have no idea how that would affect housing rates, probably not too favorably). Most areas in the central-western portion of the state have top notch riding and watersports areas.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:48 PM

Not that Bend needs more people, but you can find lovely homes outside of town at reasonable prices.

More importantly, it's Bend! Cycling. Kayaking. Climbing. And congenial people. K Fall's reputation is still largely negative... but I've not been there for a couple of years. And yes, it's very remote.

The Medford-Ashland area is also quite wonderful and well worth a visit.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:31 PM
v a n i l l a

If I was moving to the east side I would go to Bend. It has the infrastructure and recreation. I've been through KF enough - no thanks.

Of course lots of choices off I5.