RIP David Stern ...

The modern NBA is the result of four people:

1) Jordan

2) Magic

3) Bird

4) David Stern
Old 01-23-2020, 05:33 AM
Registered (ab)User

Anybody else catch Zion Williamson's NBA debut last night?

I was watching the SA vs NO game last night, but flipping to a movie when the game would go to a commercial or when it seemed a sure thing, so I missed a few minutes of play action.

SA is up by 12, Zion is on the bench with 5 points, I flip to Scarface.

Back to the game, SA is up by 10, Zion is on the bench with 5 points, I flip to Scarface.

Back to the game, SA is again up by 12, Zion is on the bench with 5 points, again I flip to Scarface.

Back to the game, SA is still up by 12, Zion is on the bench with 5 points, again I flip to Scarface.

Back to the game, SA is down by 2, Zion is on the bench with 20 points, I ...wait, DA HELL DID I JUST MISS?!?!

Last edited by Bob Ross; 01-23-2020 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Anybody else catch Zion Williamson's NBA debut last night?

I was watching the SA vs NO game last night, but flipping to a movie when the game would go to a commercial or when it seemed a sure thing, so I missed a few minutes of play action.

SA is up by 12, Zion is on the bench with 5 points, I flip to Scarface.

Back to the game, SA is up by 10, Zion is on the bench with 5 points, I flip to Scarface.

Back to the game, SA is again up by 12, Zion is on the bench with 5 points, again I flip to Scarface.

Back to the game, SA is still up by 12, Zion is on the bench with 5 points, again I flip to Scarface.

Back to the game, SA is down by 2, Zion is on the bench with 20 points, I ...wait, DA HELL DID I JUST MISS?!?!
You missed Zion being left WIDE open behind the 3 point line, and him making 4 in a row.

BUT, more than that, you missed him not thinking about his knee, and just playing in the fourth quarter. It started with a big boy rebound and him leading the break, and using his passing skills to find someone on the right wing for a layup. Also, him missing a close shot and using his quickness to find his own rebound and use his quick second jump to finish.

The threes will be raved over, but those shots is all he could do for the last 12 weeks. Him making them, that wide open was not shocking, but the stuff I mentioned above is what was so surprising to me.

A good start young man! Stay healthy!
Old 01-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
You missed Zion being left WIDE open behind the 3 point line, and him making 4 in a row.

BUT, more than that, you missed him not thinking about his knee, and just playing in the fourth quarter. It started with a big boy rebound and him leading the break, and using his passing skills to find someone on the right wing for a layup. Also, him missing a close shot and using his quickness to find his own rebound and use his quick second jump to finish.

The threes will be raved over, but those shots is all he could do for the last 12 weeks. Him making them, that wide open was not shocking, but the stuff I mentioned above is what was so surprising to me.

A good start young man! Stay healthy!
Thanks for the recap, I did the same thing!!

Saw Zion playing not so great and decided my time was better spent elsewhere. Sounds like he needs to get his consistency up but I’ll be sure to watch the next few games
Old 01-23-2020, 11:45 AM

I'm a Zion Homer, but I really want to pump the brakes on last night. He looked ok, got hot for a couple minutes, and SA didn't adjust to cover him on any of his 3s. He was a slightly below average 3 point shooter at Duke, and I'm guessing that's where he will be at seasons end

I did see some of the young Barkley athleticism thats going to be his calling card going forward. I also saw him totally lost on defense, which is true of every rookie ever.

Kudos to Gentry for being rigid about the minutes limit. It must have been awful tempting to ride that electric moment for just a little longer.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:50 AM
Deconditioned!

Was soooo fun watching him play! I'm sure the improvements, fitness, sloppy play (4 turnovers) will come into line. I do sincerely hope that knee stays put. He'll be such a lightning rod in the league. Waiting somewhat patiently for that first MONSTER dunk he's going to unleash.

The wife is a Duke alum. We got to see a game at Cameron last year with Zion and the rest of the crew. VERY FUN. I def felt very lucky to have that opportunity.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I'm a Zion Homer, but I really want to pump the brakes on last night. He looked ok, got hot for a couple minutes, and SA didn't adjust to cover him on any of his 3s. He was a slightly below average 3 point shooter at Duke, and I'm guessing that's where he will be at seasons end

I did see some of the young Barkley athleticism thats going to be his calling card going forward. I also saw him totally lost on defense, which is true of every rookie ever.

Kudos to Gentry for being rigid about the minutes limit. It must have been awful tempting to ride that electric moment for just a little longer.
The highlights in the paint will be there, especially as fast as the Pelicans play. But totally agreed it'll be telling to see where his outside game is and how he consistently hits 3s. That'll really open the game up for him.

He's reminded me more of Shawn Kemp than Barkley, but this is picking at nits at this point. He's a super bouncy 4.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
He's reminded me more of Shawn Kemp than Barkley, but this is picking at nits at this point. He's a super bouncy 4.
I sticking with pre-injury Larry Johnson
Old 01-23-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
Also a good one.

If we're talking pre-injury, Andrew McDyess and Amare Stoudemire have to be in the convo too.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
I think that's probably the best analogy. All the other players were more or less "classic" 4s; listed around 6'10 and 240ish.

Zion is listed at 6'8 and 285. That's a load.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I think that's probably the best analogy. All the other players were more or less "classic" 4s; listed around 6'10 and 240ish.

Zion is listed at 6'8 and 285. That's a load.
Sir Charles was listed at 6'6" and probably closer to 6'4".

And the similarities in Shawn Kemp's game to Zion are striking.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The highlights in the paint will be there, especially as fast as the Pelicans play. But totally agreed it'll be telling to see where his outside game is and how he consistently hits 3s. That'll really open the game up for him.

I think it’s also worth pointing out that “slightly below average 3 point shooter” might be good enough. He’s got a great first step, can make plays for himself and others off the dribble, and it’s entirely possible that the Spurs decided they’d rather let him take open 3s than end up on a poster.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I think it’s also worth pointing out that “slightly below average 3 point shooter” might be good enough. He’s got a great first step, can make plays for himself and others off the dribble, and it’s entirely possible that the Spurs decided they’d rather let him take open 3s than end up on a poster.
Totally. He doesn't need to be Steph Curry, just enough of a threat someone's got to close out rather than pack the paint.

Don't be Ben Simmons, basically.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:00 PM

Alvin Gentry is a treasure:
“(Zion) was saying, ‘Please don’t take me out. I’m going to win that game for us. Please!’ I said, ‘I don’t have a choice.’ I said, ‘I can leave you in, but you’ll have a new coach in the morning,’”
Old 01-23-2020, 03:11 PM
Deconditioned!

He's a beast. It's super fun to have Zion in the league!