Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Cyclist Killed by Cement Truck and 2 Other Deaths Spur ‘Emergency’
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/03/n...core-ios-share
Old 07-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Tired Member

Cycling has gone way up with the introduction of bike lanes across the city.
Public transportation still sux, despite Andy Byford trying to inch the subway closer to "on time." I can get to midtown faster on my bike than on the subway, even though the subway has only 5 stops to get there. Taxi/Uber/Lyft is 3rd place, depending on traffic. I wouldn't take the bus to midtown. I might as well walk.

Apparently, there's going to be a big ride on the 9th for the three people killed in the past week.

Last edited by tctyres; 07-03-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Cyclist Killed by Cement Truck and 2 Other Deaths Spur ‘Emergency’
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/03/n...core-ios-share
There's too many g-d cars in Manhattan. Ride share has made matters worse. The only solution is to limit automobile traffic in the city. But the NYPD ticketing cyclists for trivial infractions won't change a thing.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 AM
bykhed

From my email yesterday:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 1, 2019

STATEMENT FROM MAYOR DE BLASIO ON RECENT CYCLIST FATALITIES

“We are seeing a dangerous surge in cyclist deaths on our streets, and we are taking action. I have directed the NYPD to immediately launch a major enforcement action that will encompass every precinct and crack down on dangerous driving behavior like parking in bike lanes. At the same time, I have charged the Department of Transportation with developing a new cyclist safety plan to make biking in our city safer. No loss of life on our streets is acceptable. Last year was the safest year on record—and we have to keep pushing the envelope and increasing our efforts until we achieve Vision Zero.”
Old 07-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Tired Member

Someone yesterday also mentioned that the issue of distracted driving (ie phones/maps) hasn't been addressed.

Typically, 4 pedestrians are killed in traffic in NYC per week. This number is huge. (Pedestrian deaths from cyclist collisions are about 1 every 2 years in NYC.)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:09 AM

This press release is complete BS!!
The NYPD is very much at fault here, they go around ticketing cyclists for not having bells and reflectors, while at the same time pat the driver on the back that killed that cyclist.

The way the cops act sickens me
Old 07-03-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
This press release is complete BS!!
The NYPD is very much at fault here, they go around ticketing cyclists for not having bells and reflectors, while at the same time pat the driver on the back that killed that cyclist.

The way the cops act sickens me
Classic boorish cop victim blaming. Might as well denigrate a woman or man for wearing revealing clothes when they've been sexually assaulted.

Now not all NYPD are guilty of this behavior, but the great majority of the guys who are put on the cycling assignments are not the cream of the crop, and they often show their lack of general aptitude. Notice how recently during HUGE events with massive police deployment you never really hear about dumb cops doing dumb things since the good cops are also on the scene and know how to handle stuff.

But classic De Blasio - lets actually do the right / lawful thing for THREE WEEKS since it's been getting national attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
There's too many g-d cars in Manhattan. Ride share has made matters worse. The only solution is to limit automobile traffic in the city. But the NYPD ticketing cyclists for trivial infractions won't change a thing.
This wasn't as much a problem about ten years ago, but two different trends colliding have created the current crisis - rideshare and capital diversion. Adding 2% more vehicles on the road doesn't seem like a big thing unless you're dealing with a finite grid structure with little thruway access like NYC, and each increase of traffic in one area creates a domino effect. And our brilliant Governor Dips#*t shifting billions from the MTA coffers for his shiny new ribbon-cutting backdrops has made the subways worse than Andy Dufresne's journey.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
you'd feel just as safe today, maybe safer, if you just stopped reading the "news"

thats the only difference, at the you-level, gents.
I'm going to disagree with that first statement. Things have gotten worse on the roads overall. More me! ME! Less patience and understanding.

Also more 'I'M going to get ahead' in traffic by jumping onto the offramp and not exiting or by jamming into the front of the queue making everyone behind them jam on the brakes. ...which makes it worse for everyone, making people think they can 'get ahead' by taking the off-ramp...

That translates into more close passes or unsafe passes when I'm out here riding in what was cow fields.

M
Old 07-03-2019, 10:25 AM

I was a bike messenger one day a week during my freshman year of college (1994), and it was relatively safe - you could anticipate traffic and who was driving in what direction. I never got into an accident.

I lived in SF when Lyft and Uber became a thing, and the problem was that 75% of the regular cars were now drivers. They would stop in the middle of busy streets, take the most f*cked up u turns, etc. Every car became a hazard.

Fast forward to my relocation to Brooklyn. Same thing as being in SF. You have to watch for every single car. When I ride down from Prospect Park to my house, the bike lane on 9th street is scary. I HATE bike lanes that are between the curb and parked cars in NY. It's a bad idea for SO many reasons. I ride my brakes all the time and everyone passes me.

I can't believe the cops are ticketing people for bells and reflectors. I have a bell, no reflectors. I just ride to and from the park though, and I don't think the cops care in the park.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
I lived in SF when Lyft and Uber became a thing, and the problem was that 75% of the regular cars were now drivers. They would stop in the middle of busy streets, take the most f*cked up u turns, etc. Every car became a hazard.

Fast forward to my relocation to Brooklyn. Same thing as being in SF. You have to watch for every single car.
this. a million times over. i've been riding in boston city traffic for a decade and i'm not doing it nearly as often nowadays because riding is getting really stressful! no matter where a car is positioned, every door is liable to be opened by an uber passenger and dislocate my shoulder again.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:10 PM
Tired Member

Fyi

Old 07-03-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Classic boorish cop victim blaming. Might as well denigrate a woman or man for wearing revealing clothes when they've been sexually assaulted.

Now not all NYPD are guilty of this behavior, but the great majority of the guys who are put on the cycling assignments are not the cream of the crop, and they often show their lack of general aptitude. Notice how recently during HUGE events with massive police deployment you never really hear about dumb cops doing dumb things since the good cops are also on the scene and know how to handle stuff.

But classic De Blasio - lets actually do the right / lawful thing for THREE WEEKS since it's been getting national attention.

This wasn't as much a problem about ten years ago, but two different trends colliding have created the current crisis - rideshare and capital diversion. Adding 2% more vehicles on the road doesn't seem like a big thing unless you're dealing with a finite grid structure with little thruway access like NYC, and each increase of traffic in one area creates a domino effect. And our brilliant Governor Dips#*t shifting billions from the MTA coffers for his shiny new ribbon-cutting backdrops has made the subways worse than Andy Dufresne's journey.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you about the NYPD. My interactions with them have been terrible every single time. With that said, NYC is a friggin mess all the way around and it bums me out. My mother and grandmother were both born in Brooklyn and I love the city and was prepared to move back a few years ago but it's just not a livable city any more IMO.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:59 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
you'd feel just as safe today, maybe safer, if you just stopped reading the "news"

thats the only difference, at the you-level, gents.
90% of the time i'd agree with you, but the number of T&LC plates now in NYC (and the number of drivers who are staring at their phones while driving) is something you don't need news to confirm. **** is straight terrifying sometimes.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:28 PM

Sadly, some crashes may be due to lack of skills on the part of the bike riders. In the latest fatality in Bushwick, the woman rode off the sidewalk, then appeared to tumble right in front of the cement truck. See the video here: https://abc7ny.com/traffic/29-year-o...oklyn/5373433/.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Sadly, some crashes may be due to lack of skills on the part of the bike riders. In the latest fatality in Bushwick, the woman rode off the sidewalk, then appeared to tumble right in front of the cement truck. See the video here: https://abc7ny.com/traffic/29-year-o...oklyn/5373433/.
I drive to work everyday. Today I almost ran over a cyclist that ran a really late red light. I started into the intersection and he swung all the way to the middle and I missed him by 10 feet.. which sounds like a lot, but it's not... When I was in SF, the little red scooters you could rent always scared me. Now they have that in NY and I can't believe there hasn't been more reported accidents with those. Almost everyone I see is ridden illegally - one guy was jamming down the bike lane on one the other day.. today I saw two girls doubled up without helmets zooming down the street.