Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM

In college, a guy I knew used to sing part of a verse from the Kinks' song "Lola," but with his own twist:

"Well I'm not the world's most passionate man,
But I'm pretty close to it..."

The Moots Vamoots isn't the world's best bike, but it's pretty close to it. And for the price, it's very hard to beat, if in fact it can be beat. The search for something that is the nth degree better (and "better" is relative) comes at a cost, which is often significant. To me at least, the Vamoots isn't super stiff, but it's not a noodle, either, and it's really smooth. And for a ti bike, it's relatively light. Try to get stiffer but just as smooth and light, add $1.5K... want to get stiffer and lighter but almost as smooth, add $1.5K....

A really smart thing that Moots did back in 2010 is change the stock geometry for the standard Vamoots. Prior to that, the Vamoots (with a level/levelish toptube) and the Compact shared the exact same geometry. With the change, the Vamoots now technically comes in three versions (standard, CR and RSL), but the standard and CR are at the same price point and are the successors to the old Vamoots and Compact. The difference is that the standard Vamoots has a more relaxed stage race geometry, similar to say, Colnago. It also has slightly longer chainstays. (The Vamoots CR is almost unchanged from the old Compact.)

For tire clearance, the chainstays on the stock Vamoots are ~.07cm longer than on the CR, so a 27-28mm tire should fit (the problem I had with the older Vamoots/Compacts was clearance at the front derailleur clamp). I'm not sure of the tire clearance of the Moots forks, so either someone who has one can chime in, or you can call Moots. If the Moots fork won't clear a 27-28mm tire, you can use an Enve fork, which will (but not necessarily in all cases with Campagnolo calipers).

As OP said, the forks are made in Taiwan for Moots directly, by the same company that manufactures forks for Trek, Enve and lots of others.

Re the Moots post, I would note that the clamp mechanism of the cinch post is mechanically one of the most elegant designs out there—it allows for independent fore and aft, and tilt adjustment. The seatpost and stem (and spacers) also happen to look great with the frames (not to mention other frames). Functionally, I would agree that they are not necessarily better than much less expensive alternatives.

Last edited by happycampyer; 09-25-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I'm not sure that MOOTS is still building ti bikes for Hampsten.
They're not.

The Hampco Ti builders were Moots, then Kent Eriksen, then Kent and in-house as options, and now in-house only. Hampsten used to use Dave Levy at Ti Cycles too, I think, but I think that was only for steel.

I think the welders for Kent Eriksen in that time were probably Chris Moore (2011-2012) and Brad Bingham (late 2012). Max Kullaway (Hampsten/333fab) does the in-house work for Hampsten. I've seen examples of each and they are all amazing. I don't think I'd let that determine who I got a bike from.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Picshooter

Mine is a Compact. It fits me and rides great. After 28 years of riding, it's the one bike I will never part with willingly. I wanted to try Ti and was fortunate to find a used one for a fair price in the classifieds here.
I like the little touches like the welded on bottle bosses (no rivnuts) and seat collar. I personally like the industrial look and while I agree the decals are not the best, they are easily replaced and readily available. Moots will also refinish them to look like new.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
the decals could use some work.
I've had my Compact SL for 10 years, the decals were cracked when I bought it new but the great thing is that you can get on Moots.com and get a new set. The ones I installed a few months ago seem better than the first set.

I'm probably selling mine locally because I'm not riding much anymore, but it is hard to let it go. I've had a couple of Colnagos, Argon 18, Giant and some more during that 10 years but the Moots saw the most use.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM

Best bike i ever had. Mine is a compact too. Like happycampyer said, they changed the geo abit so if you want the more aggressive one yet a level toptube you would need to get a used pre 2010 vamoots.

Cant think of a better value frame than a used moots. New works to if you got the cash for it
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
That, and there's no paint option. Some don't care for the industrial look of bare titanium.
There's always a paint option...just not from the factory.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
A really smart thing that Moots did back in 2010 is change the stock geometry for the standard Vamoots. Prior to that, the Vamoots (with a level/levelish toptube) and the Compact shared the exact same geometry. With the change, the Vamoots now technically comes in three versions (standard, CR and RSL), but the standard and CR are at the same price point and are the successors to the old Vamoots and Compact. The difference is that the standard Vamoots has a more relaxed stage race geometry, similar to say, Colnago. It also has slightly longer chainstays. (The Vamoots CR is almost unchanged from the old Compact.)
Wow, I'd never realized this and had always thought of Moots as cool, but sort of funky geo, not great clearance, and too-short headtubes, but the post-2010 Vamoots Standard geo is awesome! 56 square, 160mm HT, 415mm CS. I wish the STA were a quarter degree slacker, but that's nearly perfect stage-race geo.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Wow, I'd never realized this and had always thought of Moots as cool, but sort of funky geo, not great clearance, and too-short headtubes, but the post-2010 Vamoots Standard geo is awesome! 56 square, 160mm HT, 415mm CS. I wish the STA were a quarter degree slacker, but that's nearly perfect stage-race geo.
I don't think anyone at Moots would admit it, but I think a lot of the Gran Paradisos that Moots built for Steve H shared this geometry/geometry philosophy. They will say that they sold more Compacts that Vamoots, and that a lot of custom requests for level toptube bikes were in that vein, so it only made sense to make a stock run of sizes in that style...

The custom geo of my RSL is almost identical to the new, 2010- Vamoots geo, btw.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Vamoots

Others have said more than I could about a Vamoots in terms of geometry and ride quality.
Given that you want extra clearance, why not get a Kent Eriksen?
He could make you a bike that had all of the characteristics of the Vamoots but more clearance.
Price would be the same as a Vamoots unless you have a line on a used Vamoots.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:14 PM

I considered Moots 10 years ago when I ended up with a Seven Axiom. The finish was the main reason, just prefer the brushed look.

Tim
Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I considered Moots 10 years ago when I ended up with a Seven Axiom. The finish was the main reason, just prefer the brushed look.

Tim
+1 i have always wanted a vamoots. couldn't get by the industrial finish of the bikes. that's why i ended up with a polished serotta. love the polished ti look. still want a moots though.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
There's always a paint option...just not from the factory.
Spectrum powder works did mine. Awesome work. Super durable. Never had a paint chip after two years.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM

What's Va short for?

Last edited by beeatnik; 09-26-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:26 PM

There really should be an "Wallet Danger Alert" on this thread - the posts just inflamed the "need a Moots" bug in me
Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Add me to the Moots lovers - my c. 2008 Vamoots, purchased used off this forum, is my primary bike. Bill (Happycamper) waxed eloquently about the details of the differences, and I'd be curious to try the "newer" Vamoots geometry, but I will likely never sell my Vamoots...

Well ... maybe to get a RSL, though I'd have to go with a threaded BB option on a new RSL (Campy guy, and Campy doesn't seem to play nice with BB30)!

I love the look of the Moots stem and seatpost too, and don't forget "Moots enhanced" King Ti cages to match the bead-blasted finish of the frame.

Anyways get the Vamoots!